Team Worth Gold?

Mr noitall, there you go again, trying to stir the pot. I can't speak for the Franklin Tourney, just as you can't speak for the High School game where I saw a coach standing in the 3rd base coaching box talking on a cell phone while a player had just trippled off the fence and was looking for a signal while rounding 2nd. I'm sure both have good and bad examples. I have always said that the people at good High School programs have no idea how bad it is at "Bad " high school programs. I am sure people have had the same experience ( well, maybe not that expirience) with travel ball. The difference is you can research which travel team you want to play and join the one that is the best fit for you. Unlike High School where you are stuck unless you move.

I hope you can make it down to the ASA 18-Gold Nationals in Marietta Ga in August. I promise you will see a different level of ball. You can even watch some local girls as the Tn Xplosion Gold has won there birth and will be playing. It is a short drive and it really doesn't matter which day you go as all the teams will be VERY good. The Fury Fastpitch Gold, Nashville Nighthawks Gold, and Elite Diamonds are also working on getting births. Worth Gold is supposed to be a Gold team but nobody has seen them anywhere.

Yes there are some very good High School coaches out there but please don't degrade all travel ball coaches as "Daddy Ball" types.

Don't quote me, but I 'heard' they were practicin' early this very mornin' in the Franklin arear...

Again, don't quote me, but I heard terrible. Plus they was playin' on only 9 cylinders (without Fagan) in both tournaments...and still won 'em both (Kayla Floyd - 2010 outta Columbia Central - was named Offensive MVP and Casey Vincent - 2011 outta Coffee Co. - was named overall MVP at the Music City Hits).

At the Clarksville one, they beat one team something like 17-0 (heard - I know, I say that alot :bored: , sorry - that teams' coach said somethin' ugly 'bout 'em bein' a 'Gold' team in name only...I don't believe I'da said that, 'cause that may have had somethin' to do with gettin' that butt spanked) and then had to turn around and was supposed to play a team outta Lebanon, but they got scared and so they ended up playin' some li'l ole 16U team outta Alabamee that finished #2 in their c'ship. But they was scrappers. Worth only beat 'em somethin' like 4 or 6 to nuthin'.

Injuries and more injuries have kept 'em from doin' a lot of what they were initially gonna try to do this summer and Hooper and Dever won't be with 'em this comin' weekend in Virginia Beach at that exposure tournament, BUT...I heard, and, again, don't quote me, they'll be hittin' on all 10 cylinders a week from tomorrow night over at Trevecca in a double-header beginning, I heard, and, again...well, you get my meanin'...they're gonna throw the first 'heater' (Connell) or 'the wicked' (Vincent) or 'the big nasty' (Fagan) at around 6:15. Come on out and see if they can hang with them college girls.

Bless their hearts, they're just tryin' to get better. :thumb::thumb:

Team Worth Gold is very good and very talented.

But come on, playing in an "exposure" tournament in Clarksville and Virginia Beach????????

I have heard they are not playing any qualifiers. But, I also heard they are going to go to a couple of Premier Qualifiers.

I really was looking forward to them playing ASA Gold because I thought they would do well.

Well I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, but what kind of "exposure" are they trying to get???? Aren't they all signed to D1 full rides??? I know that was posted on here several times. I thought they would be playing the Tn Diamonds. Key players must be hurt. Hope they get better soon. Would love to see a Gold Friendly between Worth, Fury,Explosion,and maybe Germantown.

Well I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, but what kind of "exposure" are they trying to get???? Aren't they all signed to D1 full rides???

A few girls are not...he is trying to get the ones that are not committed or signed, seen by colleges....plus trying to give the girls that are signed or committed the opportunity to play good competition.

From what I have seen it has all been about the girls and not the trophies or the bragging rights.....and I like that.

Well I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, but what kind of "exposure" are they trying to get???? Aren't they all signed to D1 full rides??? I know that was posted on here several times. I thought they would be playing the Tn Diamonds. Key players must be hurt. Hope they get better soon. Would love to see a Gold Friendly between Worth, Fury,Explosion,and maybe Germantown.

Now you and I both know that 'D1 full rides' (i.e., athletic scholarships) aren't real sometimes, except maybe for a studdette pitcher every now and again. Money's tight everywhere and 'full rides' are what daddy's say that their li'l princesses get when they're tryin' to brag, most of the time.

Tn Diamonds? You mean that pro team? Hmmm...don't think they'd dodge 'em if the opportunity presented itself. These girls ain't skeered. And already played in a 'friendly' with Fury (and GA Knockouts) on a hot Saturday afternoon in Ft. Oglethorpe, GA. Beat Fury and tied the home-girls.

Coach JV is right and I like it, too...although, personally, I'd like to see 'em play for a national c'ship. Before it's over, some of 'em still may. Guess we'll see.

• 3 weeks later...

:roll:

A few girls are not...he is trying to get the ones that are not committed or signed, seen by colleges....plus trying to give the girls that are signed or committed the opportunity to play good competition.

From what I have seen it has all been about the girls and not the trophies or the bragging rights.....and I like that.

Not about Trophies or Bragging rights!!! I'm sure that is the case, but when I just read they beat a team in CLARKSVILLE 17-0 because they said they are Gold in name only and the other team dropped out, I have to question the reason they are playing there to start with. They have very talented players who need to see the best teams around to continue to get better. From what I heard they ran into Gold level pitching this weekend and it didn't go well. If these girls had seen it all year it would have been different I'm sure and would have helped them get ready for College without a doubt!!!! Unless they they won't be batting in College. :roll:

Not about Trophies or Bragging rights!!! I'm sure that is the case, but when I just read they beat a team in CLARKSVILLE 17-0 because they said they are Gold in name only and the other team dropped out, I have to question the reason they are playing there to start with. They have very talented players who need to see the best teams around to continue to get better. From what I heard they ran into Gold level pitching this weekend and it didn't go well. If these girls had seen it all year it would have been different I'm sure and would have helped them get ready for College without a doubt!!!! Unless they they won't be batting in College. :roll:

I know better than posting and am sure I will regret it... but since you are apparently so interested in our team. Why did we go to Clarksville? We were scheduled on Saturday only way back the first weekend in June for a friendly with the Georgia Knockouts Gold (1-1 tie) and the Tennessee Fury Gold (2-1 win). Jim Piercefield was trying add a college exposure aspect to his annual Southeastern Championship and had secured several college coaches to attend. I worked it out with him to come to his event on Sunday only and play a pair of games against the two teams which won their respective divisions in the showcase elimination round. It was intended to provide another known team which could draw the attention of college coaches and to provide us with additional exposure for the girls who weren't signed or committed. We drove up on what would have originally been an off day to play a double header against the best two teams, played, and went home.

As far as running into Gold level pitching this weekend and not going well... I guess that would be accurate if 4 innings against one very, very good pitcher who threw as well as I've seen her throw characterizes an entire weekend. Ellen Renfro ate our lunch for 4 innings. Full credit to her as she dropped the hammer us. We lost 1-0 and dropped us to (gasp) the 2 seed. On the weekend, we outscored our opponents 31-11. In our only other loss, we had twice as many hits as our opponent, but uncharastically made 4 very dumb offensive mistakes which ultimately cost us 2-4 runs and the game to be eliminated. While we didn't face juggernauts in our 2 game trip to Clarksville (that wasn't even on our schedule until 4 days before we arrived), virtually all the rest of our games this summer have been against Gold teams and teams with Division I college pitchers, along with a small handful of games against 18A teams who happened to attend the same tournaments, of which almost all had collegiate level pitchers and players as they are still legal in 18A.

Again, not sure as to why the interest in and "concern" for our team and players, or why I'm bothering to post, but hopefully that will curb your curosity. I'm pretty certain that they are ready for college ball. I know I'm marking March 3-6, 2011 on my calendar as all four of our 2010 players will be at the same place at the same time as Tennessee Tech hosts Middle Tennessee and Louisville (along with North Carolina State and Belmont) in tournament play. What a great weekend to sit and watch Nina Dever (Middle), Kendall Hooper (TN Tech), Kayla Floyd (TN Tech), and Caralisa Connell (Louisville) take the field to face off against each other. I'm 100% certain that is why I've done this all of these years.

Edited by dore83
  • Upvote 1

Forget about Clarksville, every good team plays teams that you would rather not have to play....it doesn't help either team...but that happens. I am sure we would not have made that trip...and like Michael said it was a short notice thing...if we had known what kind of competition was there I don't think we would have gone.

Early in the year we had to make a decision as a team what tournaments we were going to. We did that in an open meeting. Like I have said before on this board, given the same information, people make the same decisions. I would have voted the same way I did all over again...and I will tell you why....we have played good competition....and there is no doubt in my mind that my kid has gotten better. From what I see they have all gotten better.

From what I see posted on the TN Exposure web site, "Little Sister must have beat "Big Sister" in the battle of the Renfroe's to get to the championship and that doesn't suprise me. Maybe someone can give us a rundown on how it wound up....but I can tell you this...."Little Siter" had it going on in the game against us. She did not look like the same kid we saw last fall. If she keeps throwing like that Tennessee is going to have a very good year next year with the two of them throwing.

I am going to have to keep this short and get off here...but I want to say a couple of things out of an obligation I think I have to parents of younger players that read these boards. Years ago some of the old timers here would email me and answer questions and that helped me to help my child. I am just trying to pass that on to the next group so they can in turn pass it on to others.

Before I start, let me say that when I talk about "other coaches" I am putting myself into that same group. I didn't know any better...and others don't

One thing is I see "other coaches" go to exposure tournaments and not play all their kids. I have watched Michael get in this rotation thing and no matter what happens he would stick to it. Very rarely have I seen him do otherwise. Chasing an ASA berth would have required him to sit someone...and that is not what he has been about. He has been about getting kids seen, getting them better and playing good competition. I like that.

Second thing is rotating pitchers. He has been rotating pitchers pretty much every 2 innnigs no matter what the situation. I have heard some people complain about that and you can debate that, but frankly I like it. You could debate does it help a pitcher, hurt a pitcher, help/hurt the opposing team? I don't know...I could argue all of that...but I tell you what it does do. It makes them learn to warm up quick. It makes them learn to go to the mound sometimes without their best stuff.

I could go on but I am out of time. The common thread that I see is that he is doing what is best for his kids. The times he has gotten on to his kids, he has been right...and he is being a lot easier on them than the college coaches they are going to play for will be.

Like I said before, mine has gotten better. Far better than she would have playing for other coaches, (remember that includes me) and that is all I am looking for.

One thing is I see "other coaches" go to exposure tournaments and not play all their kids. I have watched Michael get in this rotation thing and no matter what happens he would stick to it. Very rarely have I seen him do otherwise. Chasing an ASA berth would have required him to sit someone...and that is not what he has been about. He has been about getting kids seen, getting them better and playing good competition. I like that.

Second thing is rotating pitchers. He has been rotating pitchers pretty much every 2 innnigs no matter what the situation. I have heard some people complain about that and you can debate that, but frankly I like it. You could debate does it help a pitcher, hurt a pitcher, help/hurt the opposing team? I don't know...I could argue all of that...but I tell you what it does do. It makes them learn to warm up quick. It makes them learn to go to the mound sometimes without their best stuff.

I could go on but I am out of time. The common thread that I see is that he is doing what is best for his kids.

Coach,

You and I agree on all of what you said...except the rotation thing. His motivation is pure, no doubt about it, because if anybody knows him and his teams, they know he - and his team - hates losing. By saying his motive is pure, I mean he's erring on the side of getting 'em seen, which is what you're supposed to do at exposure tournaments. However, as a competitor - and your daughter is as big of one as mine - it sometimes bites us in the butt. The 2-2-2 pitcher's rotation certainly gets them equal time, but it doesn't necessarily get us a 'W.' You said we can debate it and you're right. If these people that wonder why we didn't win everytime understood Coach's goal, though, they'd better see it, as do you and I. But, I still want to win more than I want to showcase. And, in the scheme of things, it's my own selfish feeling and it's very hard to turn off sometimes...as a competitor. See you soon.

Forget about Clarksville, every good team plays teams that you would rather not have to play....it doesn't help either team...but that happens. I am sure we would not have made that trip...and like Michael said it was a short notice thing...if we had known what kind of competition was there I don't think we would have gone.

Early in the year we had to make a decision as a team what tournaments we were going to. We did that in an open meeting. Like I have said before on this board, given the same information, people make the same decisions. I would have voted the same way I did all over again...and I will tell you why....we have played good competition....and there is no doubt in my mind that my kid has gotten better. From what I see they have all gotten better.

From what I see posted on the TN Exposure web site, "Little Sister must have beat "Big Sister" in the battle of the Renfroe's to get to the championship and that doesn't suprise me. Maybe someone can give us a rundown on how it wound up....but I can tell you this...."Little Siter" had it going on in the game against us. She did not look like the same kid we saw last fall. If she keeps throwing like that Tennessee is going to have a very good year next year with the two of them throwing.

I am going to have to keep this short and get off here...but I want to say a couple of things out of an obligation I think I have to parents of younger players that read these boards. Years ago some of the old timers here would email me and answer questions and that helped me to help my child. I am just trying to pass that on to the next group so they can in turn pass it on to others.

Before I start, let me say that when I talk about "other coaches" I am putting myself into that same group. I didn't know any better...and others don't

I could go on but I am out of time. The common thread that I see is that he is doing what is best for his kids. The times he has gotten on to his kids, he has been right...and he is being a lot easier on them than the college coaches they are going to play for will be.

Like I said before, mine has gotten better. Far better than she would have playing for other coaches, (remember that includes me) and that is all I am looking for.

Coach JV, you are right about one thing. It is about getting better. From what had been posted all winter it seemed like the whole team had already signed. Now it seems like that may not be the case so playing exposure tourneys was probably a good idea. Once again, I was just going off what I read here around signing period. Whatever.

As far as Renfro vs Renfro, it never happened. Ivey pitched a couple of clean up innings against Germantown Gold when they were already down 3-0. The place was packed I was told. They said it looked like the state tourney. However Ellen has thrown like that all summer! And someone said Ellen shut Worth down for 4 innings so I thought I had the story wrong. But today I found out Kat throw 3 shutout innings and allowed a walk that kept it from being a perfect game. Kat/Ellen struck out 16 batters!!! That is being in the zone. Congrats to BOTH pitchers. I'm sure that's what he meant.

Worth has done a GREAT job of getting these girls to the next level. Make no mistake about that. Coach has worked hard to get these girls seen and in front of coaches. My comments are not meant to bash his efforts in any way. It's just that after all the comments that I have read on here, mainly from parents I guess, I expected them to play at the Gold level and go after the ASA Gold Nationals.It really doesn't matter if they did or didn't, I am just trying to explain why I asked the question.

Anyway, Congrats and good luck in the future!! :flower: