When to blow the whistle ?

CHAMPDDS

I have refrained from replying to this thread because it seems what ever I say regarding refereeing invites controversy. I am encouraged that people are having the discussion because it shows interest in what would appear an inconsistent approach. This last sentence of RRs post intrigued me. No two soccer games are called the same way? I thought all soccer was called to be fair and unbiased and in accordance with the LOTG. That is similar. Approaches can be different. Now the texture or outcome of no two games are identical, nor are referees I will grant you that. However, let us also remember that HS soccer is a brand of soccer not like FIFA soccer, where the referee might have some discretion to add time for injury, subs etc as per Law 5. From NFHS, there is no provision like the FIFA Law 5 power to add time. For HS, if the ball is in the air, and time is out, time is out. It is an easier sell though to have the time keeper run the clock and have the buzzer go off while the ball is in flight. At college matches, they may count down the last 10 seconds.

I pointedly never said anything about fairness or bias. I think they are called that fairly. Not really had a problem with that. From the discussions here and from watching and trying to learn, I've come to realize that soccer refs have a great deal of discretion. Just as umpires have different strike zones and football refs don't call every holding call. However, soccer refs do seem to impact games a good deal more than those two based on how tightly they want to call physical play. The Signal Mtn/CCS guy let them they go at it. The CCS/ND guy wanted none of that and called girls for breathing hard on another girl. He called it pretty fairly. My point has always been that the players need to figure it out and adjust, just as hitters and pitchers need to figure out the strike zone and deal with it.

Speaking strictly from a fan perspective, it is very difficult to watch, however, because no two games are called the same, especially given the different rules for the many different alphabet organizations out there, but we too must simply deal with it, right?

Edited by Rabble Rouser

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have refrained from replying to this thread because it seems what ever I say regarding refereeing invites controversy. I am encouraged that people are having the discussion because it shows interest in what would appear an inconsistent approach. This last sentence of RRs post intrigued me. No two soccer games are called the same way? I thought all soccer was called to be fair and unbiased and in accordance with the LOTG. That is similar. Approaches can be different. Now the texture or outcome of no two games are identical, nor are referees I will grant you that. However, let us also remember that HS soccer is a brand of soccer not like FIFA soccer, where the referee might have some discretion to add time for injury, subs etc as per Law 5. From NFHS, there is no provision like the FIFA Law 5 power to add time. For HS, if the ball is in the air, and time is out, time is out. It is an easier sell though to have the time keeper run the clock and have the buzzer go off while the ball is in flight. At college matches, they may count down the last 10 seconds.

I have been to several High School and Middle School soccer games where the clock was stopped at 2 minutes. When I inquired as to why I was told the Ref keeps the time and adds time for stoppage, made perfect sense. Now if what has been written here is true and there really isn’t any stoppage, I have to wonder why so many refs and schools don’t know it. I’m sure there have been games won in stoppage time over the years. How hard would it be for the TSSAA to send out a bulletin to everyone saying there isn’t any stoppage time the clock should run until the buzzer, at which point it doesn’t matter where the ball is. Seems simple to me.

Here is my problem with the rule not allowing for stoppage. Say you have a tight game 1–0 and have less than 3 minutes on the clock. All of the sudden someone on the team that’s in the lead goes down with what appears to be a cramp which means end of the game. That my friends will destroy the game at this level. After all, the last few minutes in a close game are very exciting and that’s what people walk away remembering.

Just my opinion. I’m sure there will be some to say that wouldn’t happen, but you would be very naive to think it wouldn’t.

Edited by smeagle1

Some schools will keep official time on the scoreboard. You would stop the time for any score, bookings, or injury. So if the player goes down with a cramp. The ref would signal to stop the clock and they would deal with the injured player. In the scenario where the clock is stopped at 2 minutes so the ref keeps time on the field. He is still supposed to stop the game at 80 mins (or if in OT whatever the extended period you are in). The ref should have been stopping his watch as the game went along for the same things the clock operator would. Now, if the ref is keeping the time usually it seems like there is added time because often the Scoreboard time will not stop in sequence with the ref.

Do some refs give added time, I think we all know they do. But when you have the Official time on the scoreboard you are done at 80 mins. Trust me, learned that lesson at state in 2009 when the ball was actually traveling towards the goal but hadn't crossed the line when the buzzer sounded. No goal. Keep playing.

Here is my problem with the rule not allowing for stoppage. Say you have a tight game 1–0 and have less than 3 minutes on the clock. All of the sudden someone on the team that’s in the lead goes down with what appears to be a cramp which means end of the game. That my friends will destroy the game at this level. After all, the last few minutes in a close game are very exciting and that’s what people walk away remembering.

In the case of an injury, the referee should stop the clock, until the injured person is removed from the field of play. The referee also has the discretion to determine if any time had rolled off the clock at the time of the injury, and return the clock's time to what the referee deems it was at the time of stoppage for the injury.

Any injury shouldn't ever be allowed by a referee, to quote, "run out the clock".

Edited by 95GSoccer