Volunteer Falcon football

panthervet

Bad news for Volunteer football,Coach RIDER will be back next year.This goes to show that the school board and the school administration does not care about the football program at Volunteer.Until the people of this community stand up and let their voices be heard nothing will ever change.If Coach RIDER had any respect for the program he would resign!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad news for Volunteer football,Coach RIDER will be back next year.This goes to show that the school board and the school administration does not care about the football program at Volunteer.Until the people of this community stand up and let their voices be heard nothing will ever change.If Coach RIDER had any respect for the program he would resign!

We have a very good coaching staff at DB. Your welcome to attend.

[/quote

That's is not what I have heard. I was told the boys were addressed by the AD yesterday and he said any rumors that he already had a coach in place were not true. I took it as he gave pep talk for the last two games of the season. I don't think the AD would walk into a locker-room and tell a team their coach would not be back before the season is completed. Really does not make sense. I think Coach Rider will not be back, but that will call will come after the season is over.

Coach Rider and the other coaches are great people and have done many good things for the football program that previous coaches had neglected, such as getting up to date equipment and plenty of cleaning and maintenence on the field house. As for things changing, if the kids do not care enough to apply what they are taught and to play with emotion, then things will not change. Football is a team sport and without everyone on board a team cannot suceed.

Edited by Dozer2009

Looking at the complete history of Volunteer football records and given the fact they are in the Big 8 with three 5A teams that were ranked among the best in the state last year.Two 6A teams,one on the rise and one that is the number one seed in all of 6A.You have to ask just how much can a coach do.I have said put a couple of cupcakes on the schedule but you still have the before mentioned teams to contend with.I can only think of a couple of places in all of east Tennessee that are close in history and as hard a place to win at.North Greene and David Crockett are the schools I was thinking about.

Coach Rider and the other coaches are great people and have done many good things for the football program that previous coaches had neglected, such as getting up to date equipment and plenty of cleaning and maintenence on the field house. As for things changing, if the kids do not care enough to apply what they are taught and to play with emotion, then things will not change. Football is a team sport and without everyone on board a team cannot suceed.

some people still cannot seem to understand some basic concepts. #1 coaching is a job and like ANY job if a person can not get it done then they are fired or replaced with someone who can. (5 years is already more than most coaches get in our area to prove themselves) #2 good people dont always make good coaches. i have never seen a post attacking Rider's character, only his coaching or lack there of. no one is saying he is a bad guy by any means, he is just a bad coach. and if you think the kids dont care and dont play with emotion (which couldn't be farther from the truth) that only reflects back to the failures of the coach.

some people still cannot seem to understand some basic concepts. #1 coaching is a job and like ANY job if a person can not get it done then they are fired or replaced with someone who can. (5 years is already more than most coaches get in our area to prove themselves) #2 good people dont always make good coaches. i have never seen a post attacking Rider's character, only his coaching or lack there of. no one is saying he is a bad guy by any means, he is just a bad coach. and if you think the kids dont care and dont play with emotion (which couldn't be farther from the truth) that only reflects back to the failures of the coach.

Some people cannot accept the fact that their children should shoulder some of the blame for loosing these games. You cannot always blame the coaches (which seems to be a common occurence in Volunteer football) for the failures of the team. The coaches can teach these boys what they need to know but it is up to the players to put forth their best effort and not quit before they even start which seems to happen alot. It seems that more are worried about wearing their jersey down the halls and onto the field than the actual game itself.

Some people cannot accept the fact that their children should shoulder some of the blame for loosing these games. You cannot always blame the coaches (which seems to be a common occurence in Volunteer football) for the failures of the team. The coaches can teach these boys what they need to know but it is up to the players to put forth their best effort and not quit before they even start which seems to happen alot. It seems that more are worried about wearing their jersey down the halls and onto the field than the actual game itself.

[/quot

i support the volunteer falcons and our community (have no children so as for parents complaining i have no dog in that race). the coach has a sideline full of players he can put in if someone is not giving the effort. who's to blame when the coach gets game delay penalties because he sits on the sideline clueless as to what play to run? anybody at last weeks game witnessed this multiple times. Any good coach has plays for 2nd and long, 3rd and short etc........... to prevent poor clock management and delays. it appears volunteer has a magic hat they reach into to pick the plays.

i support the volunteer falcons and our community (have no children so as for parents complaining i have no dog in that race). the coach has a sideline full of players he can put in if someone is not giving the effort. who's to blame when the coach gets game delay penalties because he sits on the sideline clueless as to what play to run? anybody at last weeks game witnessed this multiple times. Any good coach has plays for 2nd and long, 3rd and short etc........... to prevent poor clock management and delays. it appears volunteer has a magic hat they reach into to pick the plays.

I do not have child on the team. I am sure there are alot of things going on that people, including myself do not know about and if somenoe is on the sideline maybe there is a reason. But then again I am not a football caoch (as many people in the stands seem to think they are). The coach does not get game delay penalties, the team does. I have yet to see this magic hat and havn't missed a game yet.

This is what I've seen the past three seasons at Volunteer.

1)A lot of players do not know how to tackle or block. The coaches should take the 2 weeks in the spring just to teach them how to tackle and block. Most of the players can't do the simple things.

2)Every season it takes about four or five weeks in the season to get the punting and the extra points to work. That's unacceptable

3) Coaches take too much time getting the offense plays in.

4) The offense they put in this season is insane. You cant run the ball when every one is in so tight and the safety keys on the tailback. The playbook isn't creative.

5) Not having any plays under center and trying to pass long out passes is a formula for failure at the high school level. Throw the ball over the middle when the LB's bring pressure. It's not that hard.

6) The coaches should be playing the best players both ways and maybe just maybe you wouldn't get blown out.

7) Not making adjustments or using different personal when the players you have in can't get the job done.

8) Parents scream about the coaching but do nothing to make their kid better

9) Players give up when they get down.

10) A lot of penalties and turnovers.

I could keep posting things on here, but why?

I'm not going to say it's all the coaches fault, but they are the ones putting the plays in and working with the players. I know the talent level isn't the greatest at Volunteer, but when your team looks like a bunch of middle schoolers out there compared to the competition, then it has to have something to do with the coaching.

No matter how you look it, it's a bad situation at Volunteer. I don't see them doing that much better no matter who coaches them next year. The school doesn't care if the football teams gets beat every game. I believe it's pretty much accepted there. If you can get 5 or 6 wins then the administration is happy. To me that is horrible!

I wish the Falcons the best of luck, but it's going to take some time to get this team to where they need to be. If the schedule stays the same the Falcons could win 6 games next year with the right offense. Will they? How knows, but I hope they don't ever run that horrible sing wing again.

Edited by rogers4falcons

Just how easy do you think it is to wear that jersey down the hall after losing 28 games out of 31 over the last 3 years? Do you think they get alot of support from the students? You don't think the boys shoulder the blame. All they have to do is read the Sat. morning paper and {someone} lets them know just were the blame falls.These kids are not allowed any pep rallies, no talking during pre game meals,no talking on the bus.How are they suppose to get ready to play a ball game with any enthusiasm? It's not working coach!! Change it up!!! Do really think if these boys didn't want to play football they would give up so much,their whole summer except for 2 weeks and everyday after school. Give the boys a break this is not all on them. We even had a Falcon parade and the boys were not encouraged to attend nor did any coaches participate. We all know its not all about winning,but these kids have got to be able to show their sprit or they will continue to be broken. This is sad for all.

Just how easy do you think it is to wear that jersey down the hall after losing 28 games out of 31 over the last 3 years? Do you think they get alot of support from the students? You don't think the boys shoulder the blame. All they have to do is read the Sat. morning paper and {someone} lets them know just were the blame falls.These kids are not allowed any pep rallies, no talking during pre game meals,no talking on the bus.How are they suppose to get ready to play a ball game with any enthusiasm? It's not working coach!! Change it up!!! Do really think if these boys didn't want to play football they would give up so much,their whole summer except for 2 weeks and everyday after school. Give the boys a break this is not all on them. We even had a Falcon parade and the boys were not encouraged to attend nor did any coaches participate. We all know its not all about winning,but these kids have got to be able to show their sprit or they will continue to be broken. This is sad for all.

For the ones that really do care, I am sure it is very hard to have to listen to the other students who do not put forth the time and effort that they do. I was referring to the ones who do not care whether or not the team wins on Friday nights. These are the ones who just go through the motions during practice and laugh and joke and are just there to have a good time.These are the ones that do not care. As for the policy for pep rallies, if a player really cared, then they would not need a pep rally to get fired up before the game. And the time before games such as the pre-game meal and the bus-ride, this is time to get mentally prepared for the game and not a time to catch up on everything that went on at school that day as some seem to believe. It is not all about winning as you said, so why do the coaches always get ridiculed and cussed and fussed in the stands every friday night? A trophy or plaque is something that will collect dust and eventually fade from memory. However, the things that these boys learn from the coaches will stick with them for the rest of their lives and help shape them to the men they will one day become.