You make the call - 11/1/10

footballref

When the offensive team is in "scrimmage-kick" formation, the referee (white hat) and umpire (near the linebackers) signal each other (and remind the defensive team) that the long snapper gets protection (as he snaps the ball - till, he moves to participate in the play).

This is true on: field goals, punts, and PAT's

The signal the referee and umpire use looks like the illegal procedure signal. The signal is obviously made prior to the snap (when the offense is in scrimmage kick formation). You've likely seen the signal before each punt.

Roughing the snapper / charging directly into the snapper is another 15 yard penalty + automatic 1st down.

Hey - it's play-off time!

Edited by IMAZEBRA

I've got to make sure my work assignments have internet access!!!! I love discussing the long snappers!!! They are the smartest gentlemen on the field!

Here is a twist to your rules question...

If a team is in punt formation and fakes the punt, can you still have roughing the snapper?

I've got to make sure my work assignments have internet access!!!! I love discussing the long snappers!!! They are the smartest gentlemen on the field!

Here is a twist to your rules question...

If a team is in punt formation and fakes the punt, can you still have roughing the snapper?

Without looking anything up. I am going to say yes. It is about the formation, not what gets ran out of the formation.