Region 2

FHSFALCON

Knoxville is football country. The real problem in Kville is in the kids clubs, the few programs who even have a feeder program go with a very short and soft AAU schedules. The Nashville and Chattanooga middle school leagues are far superior to AAU and the Georgia USA kids clubs and tournaments put them all to shame. There used to be a group of kids in the Knoxville area who regularly went down to GA to do battle in the USA tournies down in GA. They mopped up the AAU TN stuff and went on to win a bunch of state high school medals. This group is graduating now and the kids coming up now are way behind. Good high school wrestling starts with good middle school wrestling, and Knoxville doesn't have good middle school wrestling.

It would seem that having good football teams would increase wrestling teams success. I rememeber watch Nick Reviez wrestle and he was great. I know many of the better teams have a hard time finding heavier weights and a good football team would be a great place to start. Nothing against middle school coaches, but most don't know what they are doing at all and it is very sad. Principal just grabbed whoever they could to babysit a group of kids and call it wrestling practice. I know that Rabbit Turner is doing a great job at the Soddy Daisy Middle School and that when Soddy won their state titles a few years back the feeder programs for them were terrible. It'll be interesting to see how things improve with a solid middle school program. How did Soddy do so well anyway without a good middle school program? Anyway very unorganized post with lots of random thoughts.

Knoxville is football country. The real problem in Kville is in the kids clubs, the few programs who even have a feeder program go with a very short and soft AAU schedules. The Nashville and Chattanooga middle school leagues are far superior to AAU and the Georgia USA kids clubs and tournaments put them all to shame. There used to be a group of kids in the Knoxville area who regularly went down to GA to do battle in the USA tournies down in GA. They mopped up the AAU TN stuff and went on to win a bunch of state high school medals. This group is graduating now and the kids coming up now are way behind. Good high school wrestling starts with good middle school wrestling, and Knoxville doesn't have good middle school wrestling.

Well said maj :thumb:

It would seem that having good football teams would increase wrestling teams success. I rememeber watch Nick Reviez wrestle and he was great. I know many of the better teams have a hard time finding heavier weights and a good football team would be a great place to start. Nothing against middle school coaches, but most don't know what they are doing at all and it is very sad. Principal just grabbed whoever they could to babysit a group of kids and call it wrestling practice. I know that Rabbit Turner is doing a great job at the Soddy Daisy Middle School and that when Soddy won their state titles a few years back the feeder programs for them were terrible. It'll be interesting to see how things improve with a solid middle school program. How did Soddy do so well anyway without a good middle school program? Anyway very unorganized post with lots of random thoughts.

This is insulting. I have coached middle school wrestling for 3 years. Some of the BEST coaches I have ever had the privilege of watching I saw in middle school. Jim Gabriel (Co-Head coach with brother Ralph at Overton) coached at Heritage Middle School for many years, he's the reason I wanted to get involved in youth wrestling. Don't talk in generalities, make specific references and not just "most dont know what they are doing". <_<

Well said maj :thumb:

This is insulting. I have coached middle school wrestling for 3 years. Some of the BEST coaches I have ever had the privilege of watching I saw in middle school. Jim Gabriel (Co-Head coach with brother Ralph at Overton) coached at Heritage Middle School for many years, he's the reason I wanted to get involved in youth wrestling. Don't talk in generalities, make specific references and not just "most dont know what they are doing". <_<

Well the some you know are exceptions to the rule then. To say most are qualified is a false statement. The only decent middle school coach in the HCAC is Rabbitt and that is why I was so upset when I thought he was causing problems on this forum. But I'm sure most high school coaches would agree that the incoming wrestlers they recieve have not recieved solid instruction on the basics of wrestling.

Well the some you know are exceptions to the rule then. To say most are qualified is a false statement. The only decent middle school coach in the HCAC is Rabbitt and that is why I was so upset when I thought he was causing problems on this forum. But I'm sure most high school coaches would agree that the incoming wrestlers they recieve have not recieved solid instruction on the basics of wrestling.

Based on what? Its insulting for coaches everywhere to have to read this crap. What research do you have that supports that there apparently is only decent middle school coach? I wanna see all the ratings you have for every single middle school coach in the state of TN, and all of their backgrounds in wrestling. Then get a list of all the high school coaches in the state and get the majority of them to say their feeder programs stink. IF you can do all that then your statement here may be valid but if you can't back up a statement like that then back off. Cause, as a middle school and youth coach, I'm not just gonna sit back and listen to you babble off into another stupid rant on why you think your better than the rest of us, ESPECIALLY if your insulting me and other youth coaches. This is what I love to do.

Based on what? Its insulting for coaches everywhere to have to read this crap. What research do you have that supports that there apparently is only decent middle school coach? I wanna see all the ratings you have for every single middle school coach in the state of TN, and all of their backgrounds in wrestling. Then get a list of all the high school coaches in the state and get the majority of them to say their feeder programs stink. IF you can do all that then your statement here may be valid but if you can't back up a statement like that then back off. Cause, as a middle school and youth coach, I'm not just gonna sit back and listen to you babble off into another stupid rant on why you think your better than the rest of us, ESPECIALLY if your insulting me and other youth coaches. This is what I love to do.

Well are you one of the few? As far as all the research you wanted I didn't know all statements on here had to be researched based, but from my experience that is the truth about middle school coaches and have had several of high school coaches verify that.

Well are you one of the few? As far as all the research you wanted I didn't know all statements on here had to be researched based, but from my experience that is the truth about middle school coaches and have had several of high school coaches verify that.

Yeah a statement like that would require research. What do you do for a living? Lets say your an accountant, and I say, Ive had two accountants and they werent very good. So, in my experience, and based on maybe three bosses of accountants that ive talked to say that they know a couple that arent good either. So every accountant in the state are bad accountants, dont you see how that would be extremely insulting to you? If you have a passion for something and someone says theyve only seen one good youth coach so every other one is a horrible coach, how can you not stand up for yourself? What high school coaches would verify that? If a high school coach has a successful team the first person theyre thanking is the middle school coaches. Your so high and mighty, step up to the plate and be a youth coach or stop complaining.

Edited by WrestlingGod

Yeah a statement like that would require research. What do you do for a living? Lets say your an accountant, and I say, Ive had two accountants and they werent very good. So, in my experience, and based on maybe three bosses of accountants that ive talked to say that they know a couple that arent good either. So every accountant in the state are bad accountants, dont you see how that would be extremely insulting to you? If you have a passion for something and someone says theyve only seen one good youth coach so every other one is a horrible coach, how can you not stand up for yourself? What high school coaches would verify that? If a high school coach has a successful team the first person theyre thanking is the middle school coaches. Your so high and mighty, step up to the plate and be a youth coach or stop complaining.

Well if Central ever starts winning, the las person that will be thanked is the Brown Middle School coach. And I've been around HCAC wrestling for the last 3 years and know the only team that properly trains is the SDMS team. From my experience on CoachT I'm not a big fan of Rabbitt as a person, but as a coach the results speak for themselves. From what I've heard when the SOddy High School boys were winning all their matches a couple years back, none of the guys came from a solid middle school program. Did the Soddy Daisy coaches ever thank the SDMS coaches for the state titles they won? I don't think so, because the middle school coaches did not deserve thanks. Maybe you're better than most, maybe you're upset because someone has finally vocalized a sound opinion of the negativity associated with middle school coaches today. I know not all are bad because of Cleveland Middle School, but it is hard to keep a quality coach on the middle school level.

Well if Central ever starts winning, the las person that will be thanked is the Brown Middle School coach. And I've been around HCAC wrestling for the last 3 years and know the only team that properly trains is the SDMS team. From my experience on CoachT I'm not a big fan of Rabbitt as a person, but as a coach the results speak for themselves. From what I've heard when the SOddy High School boys were winning all their matches a couple years back, none of the guys came from a solid middle school program. Did the Soddy Daisy coaches ever thank the SDMS coaches for the state titles they won? I don't think so, because the middle school coaches did not deserve thanks. Maybe you're better than most, maybe you're upset because someone has finally vocalized a sound opinion of the negativity associated with middle school coaches today. I know not all are bad because of Cleveland Middle School, but it is hard to keep a quality coach on the middle school level.

Once again I ask, what proof do you have to back up these statements? Did you talk to the Soddy coaches to see if they wanted to thank the middle school coaches or not? Im upset with you because your ignorance is blinding your judgment. This is what it boils down to....

STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND BECOME A YOUTH COACH OR STOP COMPLAINING. IF YOU THINK THERE'S A PROBLEM WITH YOUTH COACHES THEN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, COACH!! BUT DONT SIT BACK ON YOUR KEYBOARD AND TELL ME THAT WE ARENT DOING A GOOD JOB TEACHING IF YOU ARENT WILLING FIX IT...

a wise man once told me....NUT UP OR SHUT UP

How do you know I don't help with any youth program? You don't. I'm guessing your one of the coaches that doesn't put in the time needed to give his kids a solid foundation on technical skills before they enter high school. Where do you coach at? How have your guys done at transitioning from middle to high school? If they haven't done that well it is a reflection on you. And once again I'm being singled out as a bad guy for stating an opinion that is held by others. Did you skim over Maj's post when he was talking about what he saw as the problem with high school wrestling in Knox....he said it was on the middle school coaches.