Sycamore's New Coach

waggle

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sycamore is a great job and whoever the new coach is will have a difficult time reaching the levels that the previous two head football coaches did at the Pleasant View school.

Tommy Tharp

1998: 8-0 (Freshman Schedule)

1999: 0-10

2000: 5-6

2001: 11-2 (TSSAA State Quarterfinals)

2002: 6-5

2003: 7-5 (TSSAA 2nd Round)

Gary Halstead

2004: 5-5

2005: 4-6

2006: 9-4 (TSSAA State Quarterfinals)

2007: 6-4

2008: 7-5 (TSSAA 2nd Round)

2009: 4-6

2010: 3-7

Both coaches were also on the 1997 Cheatham County Cubs coaching staff. That was Tharp's lone season as head coach at Cheatham County & Halstead's lone season as an assistant coach at Cheatham County. That year the Cubs went to the Class 4A State Playoffs with a 7-4 record.

i am sure those are some great coaches but difficult to be average? difficult to reach the playoffs 4 times in 11 years? Really?

I'm not a rocket scientist champ......but considering there are 10 games in a high school season.......looks to me like Sycamore made the playoffs at least 6 times, maybe more if they happened to play a 9 game regular season.

I'm not a rocket scientist champ......but considering there are 10 games in a high school season.......looks to me like Sycamore made the playoffs at least 6 times, maybe more if they happened to play a 9 game regular season.

you are no where close to a rocket scientist if you think 67-65 record over 11 years is stellar. maybe sycamore can get lucky and find another Average coach.

a grand total of 2 playoff appearances since 2004. so they where at least 4th place in the old playoff system before. i dont know either coach or the type of athletes at sycamore, i was just pointing out that it shouldnt be a problem to find an average coach to win an average number of games. i could be wrong.

Since the fall of 1970 there have been a total of 6 coaches EVER who have had a .500 record and above at the three schools in the county (Cheatham, Harpeth, Sycamore).

Butler (Cheatham: 1991-1993): 18-15

Arrington (Cheatham: 1994-1996): 23-11

Winkler (Harpeth: 1996-2004): 59-44

Tharp (Cheatham/Sycamore: 1997-2003): 36-32 (8-0 with freshman schedule in 1998 as well)

Finley (Cheatham: 2002-PRESENT): 49-49

Halstead (Sycamore: 2004-2010): 38-37

Stack took Cheatham to the playoffs in '87 & '88 and Loope took Harpeth to the playoffs in '09. Bennie Daniel led Cheatham to a 9-2 season and a "Booster Bowl" championship in '84.

Outside of those seasons there has been no success whatsoever on the gridiron in Cheatham County.

Coach Spangler coached at Ashland City High School from 1951-1969 and compiled an overall mark of 115-45-3 but I think it's safe to say that a run like this will NEVER happen again in the county.

If you would like to take a shot at proving me wrong "big D" then go ahead and apply :thumb:

Edited by howdoitknow2

I can assure you that coach Tharp is a quality coach. He won at Cheatham. He won at Sycamore. He turned around what was a non-existant situation at Albertville and won there. I am sure he's winning in Louisiana right now as well. I believe in his first year down there they went 5-5 and qualified for the state playoffs. I look for him to come back to Tennessee again one day as well. He's one of the most respected coaches statewide, despite being out of the state since 2004, and could land a job in no time.

Coach Halstead has had 2 OPPORTUNITIES to become a head coach in Metro/Nashville. In 2006 at Pearl-Cohn and this past off-season at East Literature are the situations that I speak of. Coach Halstead is qualified to land a coaching job and he'll coach football again one day I am sure. He's great with student-athletes and knows how to win.

As for this thread about THE CURRENT OPENING AT SYCAMORE there are a pair of names that I already know have applied. One of the names has guided a football program to the playoffs each of the last 4 years and prior to that the program had NEVER been to the playoffs (or even sniffed the playoffs for that matter). The other guy started a new football program in a city near Pleasant View and took the program to the playoffs in just it's second year of existance this past season. Either of them would make for a great choice as Sycamore's next head football coach.

There are a few guys in the building that have coached at Sycamore for a few years. One played at Cheaham, coached at Sycamore with Tharp & Halstead, and also coached at Albertville with Tharp. The other played at Sycamore and is the school best ever football player (HANDS DOWN!). He went on to play at Austin Peay and just finished his fifth season on the coaching staff at Sycamore. Either of those guys would make a great choice as well if they are interested.

Since the fall of 1970 there have been a total of 6 coaches EVER who have had a .500 record and above at the three schools in the county (Cheatham, Harpeth, Sycamore).

Butler (Cheatham: 1991-1993): 18-15

Arrington (Cheatham: 1994-1996): 23-11

Winkler (Harpeth: 1996-2004): 59-44

Tharp (Cheatham/Sycamore: 1997-2003): 36-32 (8-0 with freshman schedule in 1998 as well)

Finley (Cheatham: 2002-PRESENT): 49-49

Halstead (Sycamore: 2004-2010): 38-37

Stack took Cheatham to the playoffs in '87 & '88 and Loope took Harpeth to the playoffs in '09. Bennie Daniel led Cheatham to a 9-2 season and a "Booster Bowl" championship in '84.

Outside of those seasons there has been no success whatsoever on the gridiron in Cheatham County.

Winkler went to the TSSAA State Playoffs 8 of 10 years as Head Coach at Harpeth...4 straight Region 5AA Championships from 1997 to 2000, winning 28 straight Region games ...first playoff win in school history in 1997 and first undefeated regular season in school history in 1997. Two Mr. Football Winners, Brian Elliott and Jason Tant and numerous All State Players including Matthew Tant , who went on to play at Vandy and was Jay Cutler's roommate at Vandy.

Winkler was allowed to assemble a great staff and weight program at Harpeth and a change of adminstration sadly took the program to another level that we will not discuss. :ph34r:

Winkler went to the TSSAA State Playoffs 8 of 10 years as Head Coach at Harpeth...4 straight Region 5AA Championships from 1997 to 2000, winning 28 straight Region games ...first playoff win in school history in 1997 and first undefeated regular season in school history in 1997. Two Mr. Football Winners, Brian Elliott and Jason Tant and numerous All State Players including Matthew Tant , who went on to play at Vandy and was Jay Cutler's roommate at Vandy.

Winkler was allowed to assemble a great staff and weight program at Harpeth and a change of adminstration sadly took the program to another level that we will not discuss. :ph34r:

All of Cheatham County athletics have been in a downward spiral for years. Cutting of coaching supplements.....2 paid asst's....what a joke. No ability to have weightroom workouts with the kids for a PE credit..., inadequate facilities......the list goes on and on.

Pay no mind to the fact that the school baord is not considering hiring an Assistant Supt.......when the school population has risen none......at 85K a year. The system is a joke. Cutting teachers and coaches, yet hiring central office personel. Recently hired the Ex. Supt from Lewis county who was ran out of town for attempting to deemphasize athletics there.........but the people there wouldnt let it happen.