What do you think about District 6-AA boys basketb

thegreatMC

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bill69eller
Posted by Dice1550:

So many dumb statements, so little time to respond...where should I start? Ok, first of all, we(CCS) had a good 6'8" post last year as well as decent to above average guard play lead by Jon Cook. Howard defeated us both times we played them. I guess that could answer your question about playing against teams with height. No determination? We were up 8 or 10 on them going into the fourth quarter and Sir Lee hit us up for 16 points(maybe 18) in the final quarter pull out the come from behind win. Funny that a team with no determination could do such a thing. I'm assuming you're from Hixson, have you finished better than Howard the last two years? Until you do better than them don't badmouth them, I would be willing to bet money that Howard is going to surprise you this year.

Guest bill69eller

DICE90210 or whatever, I would be ashamed to admit that you are accusing CCS of not playing defense. Eddie Salter does alot better job than you give him credit. I hope he finds out who you are. As for your 6'8" post player, he was a body. Next time you see him at BI-LO on Broad Street give him a tip for me. I forgot to last time he carried my groceries out.

[Edited by bill69eller on 10-24-02 12:45P]

Guest WilcatPride

Obviously your basketball knowledge is limited. Actually i am a teacher at Howard and yes Rodney Henderson is ineligible. Don't know where you got your information from. First of all if you go to CCS let me say hat Eddie Salter is not only a fine coach but also a great man. I think he is one of he best coaches in the state. Doesn't really say much for you if you let Sir Lee score that many points on you in the last few minutes to beat you. Don't get me wrong, I said Howard will have a stong team but will underachieve due to individualality and no coaching. I coached these guys as Freshman and you cannot begin to see what talent they have that is still undeveloped. Sir Lee and Ricky are great kids on and off the court and very talented players that i wish all the best luck to. The others unfortunately fit the "Howard" image. Rodney Henderson is a prime example. According to some of you he has skills but if he cannot pass he cannot play. (But as usual i bet he does anyway.) Don't mean to go off on Howard but i am tired of seeing talent never get developed and kids play when they are ineligible. What they need is Coach Frank Jones back. He (we) took them to the State Tournament Sir Lee and Ricky's Freshman year. We were a team that really should not have been there but what a fine job Frank Jones did. I still think they will have a hard time this season with other teams in the district (Hixson, CSAS, E. Ridge, Marion). But if you base your opinion of a player according the how they do in the "Ballerz" whatever then your vision is limited. Ever watch Street Ball on ESPN? Why do you think these people cannot get into the NBA? and the ones that do (Skip to my Lou) hardly play? Open your eyes! :o;)

Guest WilcatPride

Obviously your basketball knowledge is limited. Actually i am a teacher at Howard and yes Rodney Henderson is ineligible. Don't know where you got your information from. First of all if you go to CCS let me say hat Eddie Salter is not only a fine coach but also a great man. I think he is one of he best coaches in the state. Doesn't really say much for you if you let Sir Lee score that many points on you in the last few minutes to beat you. Don't get me wrong, I said Howard will have a stong team but will underachieve due to individualality and no coaching. I coached these guys as Freshman and you cannot begin to see what talent they have that is still undeveloped. Sir Lee and Ricky are great kids on and off the court and very talented players that i wish all the best luck to. The others unfortunately fit the "Howard" image. Rodney Henderson is a prime example. According to some of you he has skills but if he cannot pass he cannot play. (But as usual i bet he does anyway.) Don't mean to go off on Howard but i am tired of seeing talent never get developed and kids play when they are ineligible. What they need is Coach Frank Jones back. He (we) took them to the State Tournament Sir Lee and Ricky's Freshman year. We were a team that really should not have been there but what a fine job Frank Jones did. I still think they will have a hard time this season with other teams in the district (Hixson, CSAS, E. Ridge, Marion). But if you base your opinion of a player according the how they do in the "Ballerz" whatever then your vision is limited. Ever watch Street Ball on ESPN? Why do you think these people cannot get into the NBA? and the ones that do (Skip to my Lou) hardly play? Open your eyes! :o;)

WCpride......

Don't tell me what it takes to play at the next level.....

It's like you are upset that I am giving some of these kids a chance. You act as if it is a negative to attend and perform well in a great event like the Showcase. Henderson has a 2.3 GPA, which is definitely enough to be eligible. He is a talented player that no one has really ever given a chance to before....

Also, I know you're not a teacher at Howard. No teacher is dumb enough to get on a Message board and badmouth his own school's kids, team, and coach. So don't try to pose as if you are at Howard. And if you actually are, well, that's even worse.....

Howard will surprise, and watch out for the outstanding play of Harper, Mason, Henderson, and Ray .........

First off, Wildcatpride, Howard is not the Wildcats...so you got pride for the wrong team! And gomab...GPA has nothing to do with being eligible; TSSAA rules only care how many credits you have...not your GPA. How about somebody from Howard tell us what's really goin on?

Somebody post something about the other teams/players in the district for a change!;)

P.S. Sir Lee is overrated; he's a really good ball player, but Harper is much smarter on the court, and better overall -- in my opinion.

I just saw Henderson and Coach Higgins on Saturday...and Henderson is eligible to my knowledge.......

I LOVE Ricky Harper's game...this kid has so much heart to go with his great basketball skills, and he has continued to impress me more and more every time I see him.....

Ricky Harper has made me a believer that he is the #1 Senior PG in the State.....

Guest WilcatPride

Sorry to go off on Howard - I know that is my school but i guess you have to be on the inside to understand the maddness - I agree that Ricky is a very good ball player that does not get the credit he deserves sometimes. He unfortunately is in the shadow of Sir Lee but i cannot go along with the fact that Sir Lee is overrated!

Yesterday i watched the game film of Howard at CCS in my office. You are correct that Sir Lee took over but this is another example of Higgins letting him or making him take the spotlight. For the last several possessions he runs his "4" play and spreads everyone out with Sir Lee handling the ball and driving to the basket so that he can score, get fouled, or dish to either Rashad Jones or Dominique Johnson. He puts Ricky in the corner out of the play so that maybe he will get the pass for the three which never happened. Actually what did happen was that CCS didn't really play any defense. They ran their flex play and didn't look for the shot at the basket or for a foul, instead they shot a three and missed and fouled Sir Lee. He hits these and then steal it again and Howard wins 55-51.

Anyway who will David Phillips have at Marion that may be a threat?

Guest Bluetorn25

Didn't get to see any of Howard's games last year, but I do plan on seeing several of them this year after reading on coacht about how good they're supposed to be.

To Wildcatfan-you stated that "Doesn't really say much for you if you let Sir Lee score that many points on you in the last few minutes to beat you." Mayne, just, maybe CCS's coach couldn't come up with a good scheme for a defense to stop Sir Lee. Maybe the players on the court weren't capable of stopping him. Maybe the players for ccs on the court were very tired and that's why they couldn't stop them. Maybe Howard got some good breaks going their way which helped them out, or maybe, just maybe,Howard was the better team, which would mean that they will eventually find a way of scoring/winning anyway. Who knows, my points is that you shouldn't imply that it was totally the players' fault that Sir Lee couldn't be stopped.

[Edited by Bluetorn25 on 10-27-02 7:14P]

First of all sorry it's taken me so long to respond to this, but I don't believe for a second that someone with the name Wildcatpride is a teacher and former coach at Howard. You first talked about how Hixson(the Wildcats) was a good team and then badmouthed Howard(the Hustlin' Tigers). These facts seem to show that you root for Hixson, which is fine, all I was doing was trying to give Howard the credit that you didn't give them. Bill69eller I shouldn't even respond to your classless comments, but I will because I have great respect for Jesse Pettit and you think you're funny for making rude comments about him. If you want to talk about something related to basketball then great, let's hear it, but don't be bringing players personal lives into this. Also, Coach Salter knows exactly who I am, in your post you made it sound like I badmouthed him. I didn't have one disrespectful comment towards Coach Salter in my post so what's your point? The whole point of my post was that Howard is much better than some were giving them credit for and I used the games that I saw them play/played against them as my examples