Battle of the Best

BOTB

Man, all I said was that I didn't think Quinn Cook was Duke material by watching this game. That was the first time I had seen him play in person, but I may be wrong. He didn't do nothing in the 3rd quarter when his team was struggling against Melrose's press. In fact, he turned the ball over a bit in that 3rd quarter run that Melrose made. Like I said in that previous post, by watching this game, you wouldn't have known Quinn Cook was going to Duke. I knew he was because I had read up about him. I was more impressed with Damian Wilson. He has MAJOR hops and can do everything on the floor.

I wasn't refering to you. I was simply talking about the other post. I think what sometimes may get lost with team like Oak Hill is you only have one basketball and a team loaded with chippers, not to mention they travel all over the country....sometimes kids do not play as well as other times, even the Oak Hill kids.

You could very well see thesame team two games from now and see the kid look all world.

Edited by yankees8589

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yankee, I don't think Duke recruits the best basketball players. Example, Kentucky had the best talent last year but they didn't have the better team. 2.) I don't think coach K is a Great coach, I think he is a great recruiter, there is a big difference. He offers jobs to family members and the other under handed things that these so called big time coaches do. I know this for a fact, not something I heard. But since its duke no one says anything. This is for another conversation. But you have your opinion and I have mine. And I respect that. But I have a lot of insight on the things that I talk about, some things I say is not just my opinion, its a fact, because of my connections. Great coaches are almost obsolete, because of the pimps called the NCAA and major universities.

Edited by nebuntyn

Man, all I said was that I didn't think Quinn Cook was Duke material by watching this game. That was the first time I had seen him play in person, but I may be wrong. He didn't do nothing in the 3rd quarter when his team was struggling against Melrose's press. In fact, he turned the ball over a bit in that 3rd quarter run that Melrose made. Like I said in that previous post, by watching this game, you wouldn't have known Quinn Cook was going to Duke. I knew he was because I had read up about him. I was more impressed with Damian Wilson. He has MAJOR hops and can do everything on the floor.

you guys are crazy-put Cook on Melrose and they win going away-best player on the floor in my opinion. Oak Hills's bigs fouled out and they speeded up big time--who do you think was feeding those dunks?

Yankee, I don't think Duke recruits the best basketball players. Example, Kentucky had the best talent last year but they didn't have the better team. 2.) I don't think coach K is a Great coach, I think he is a great recruiter, there is a big difference. He offers jobs to family members and the other under handed things that these so called big time coaches do. I know this for a fact, not something I heard. But since its duke no one says anything. This is for another conversation. But you have your opinion and I have mine. And I respect that. But I have a lot of insight on the things that I talk about, some things I say is not just my opinion, its a fact, because of my connections. Great coaches are almost obsolete, because of the pimps called the NCAA and major universities.

I can certainly respect your opinions but on the same hand strongly disagree.

(1)Kentucky had the best talent but what you failed to state is they were all freshman with the exception of Patrick Patterson. That's the reason they didn't have the best team....that and the fact Cal let them lauch more three's than you can count over the last 10 or so games even though they were shooting a horrible percentage. Talent,experience and greaty coaching normally wins out and is what's needed to win championships. Take Cousins for example: a great talent but a big cry baby.

(2) It's no big secret that coaches hire family members and handlers in order to get recruits. Thats been going on forever. I know this for a fact too. Remember Danny Manning at Kansas you know Larry Brown hired his old man. Cal has been doing it forever....remember Dujuan Wagner, Cal hired Milt Wagner. How about Scott Drew Hiring John Walls AAU coach to try to get Wall to Baylor. How about Cal and WWW, ever heard of him? WWW is the ultimate pimp. Trust me I know all about this stuff and so does just about everybody else. How about Bruce Pearl getting those 500 dollar hair cuts (or so they say)in Memphis, guess who the barber was..none other than Leslie McDonalds uncle. I have alot of insight on this stuff to and believe it or not I have a connection or two myself but I certainly don't run around telling everybody what I know or who I know. I know a player that would get a shoe box full of cash slippled under his bed once a week, just out of nowhere...Imagine that. I know what kind of ride Julio Jones (Alabama FB)mother was driving right after he signed (it wasn't a hoopty either, it was a 40,000 dollar ride)for some strange reason she doesn't have it anymore, funny how when the agent scandal broke over the summer some stuff magically went poof, into thin air, The Tide had some players involved. I even know where she eats lunch once a week. You know this is the same area Cousins is from. Ever heard of old Otis Hugley and Leflore High School in Mobile...Things aren't always as the seem...I will leave it at that....people know how to skirt the rules they just get caught when the become careless. In fact, you can skirt the rules legally....imagine that.

(3) Ttust me I know the difference between a great coach and a great recruiter..this ain't my first rodeo. Cal is a gret rectuiter but sometimes the coaching leaves something to be disired. Coach K is a great coach and recruiter and the facts back it up. You don't just recruit gret players and roll out the basketb all and say go get and win us a national championship. It's not that easy.

(4) The Coach K resume: now if you think this just happens out of thin air you are misguided.

4 national Championships

8 NCAA championship games

12 Final Fours

1 Olympic Gold Medal as head coach (why you think they got Cocah K to coach this team? answer, because USA basketball wasn't exactly setting the world on fire in international competiton...he was hired to establish USA dominance like it once was, the NBA guys love coach K)

2 time assistant coach Olympic Gold Medal

1 Gold Medal FIBA world championship

12 ACC regular season championships

12 ACC tournament championships

5 time ACC coach of the year

3 time Naismith Coach of the year

2001 inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame

Should hit 900 total wins by the end of this season

Won more games in the decade starting in 2000 than any other team in any other decade in the history of the NCAA

You know, on second thought Coack K really can't coach a lick. He is just the luckiest head coach in the history of basketball....yeah right. BTW, I hate Duke but i'm not blinded. Coack k can coach and that is an undeniable fact and any serious basketball mind (college players and coaches, NBA players and coaches, NBA GM's or anynody else) whoudl tell you that.

One thing I will agree on, without question, is the NCAA pimps and mainlythe BCS cartel

But to say there are no great coaches is simply not true. BTW, keep up the good fight with those connections....but also remember you don't have a monopoly or some super duper secret insight in to things that others don't. I just found it odd you would say "because of my connections"...with the implication you are some well connected insider....I do not believe that for one minute. In fact, I don't believe you know anymore than anybodly else. What would you think If I told you I have connections to some AAU coaches or have private conversations with people at the a couple of the recruiting services.....that may be true and it may not be but I sure as heck ain't about to run around talking about "because of my connections" I will tell you I know a lot of stuff that I would never ever ever say on this board. Just letting you know the commenbt about "because of my connections" doesn't work with me....I wasn't born yesterday and I can read BS from a mile away.

But, seriously I do respect your opinion. Just letting you know you can't fool me with that BS.