DIIA All State Team

matman21

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an interesting offensive line with only 4 players. :)

I suspect it's mighty hard for sportswriters who probably aren't interested in DII-A much at all to come up with a team. I suspect they look for stats, mostly offense, and run with that and probably compare notes with buddies from other parts of the state to fill in with players they've likely never seen and even sometimes not heard of. You can see several players on the team that really don't play the positions they're in...not as their primary position. I suspect that's all about getting the star players on offense for each team named to the all star squad. That's nothing new.

In the end, I suspect it's one of those "to the victor goes the spoils" things. Only Matt Brown from Harding made it from a non playoff team. Donelson is the only playoff team that didn't make it out of the first round of the playoffs that has a representative and they only have one. SBEC is the only quarterfinalist not represented. I'm a little disappointed that either Trey Skinner at DB/WR or Josh Kimberlin at QB/LB didn't make it. I suspect being in the Memphis media market and being a very small fish in a pretty large pond didn't help when it came to representation. The players from the west that did make it are all certainly well deserving of recognition from what I've seen. I'd have had a hard time choosing myself. I'd love to see those two on as I think they are really deserving but I'd be hard pressed to want to bump somebody else off the list. There are some really fine players on that list. Very exciting for them.

I'd say next year Josh Kimberlin makes the team if he stays healthy even if it's in more of an athlete position like Noah Chandler at JCS got this year due to the inevitable logjam at QB. I may well be missing somebody but Josh is likely the best returning QB in DII-A for next year although I think of a couple who are pretty darn good. I thought it was quite a telling honor that the coaches in West 1 voted Josh as player of the year...the ones who had to coach against him.

One more thought. It's been a lot of fun to get ECS, USJ, and JCS on the schedule as well as Fayette Academy and a real blast (sometimes not so good for SBEC) watching some of these kids do so well the last 2 years...welcome, welcome additions to DII-A. I hope there are more opportunities to play the East/Middle teams, too, because getting Zion and Ezell were welcome matches the last 2 years to play somebody different and get to experience the wonderful people from those great schools....

....but I'll sure miss Justin Williams who we saw for 4...well 3, I guess, b/c of the injury last year. I still remember him running the ball with that cast on his arm as a freshman...the only time we could beat him. :)

Will miss seeing those kids from St. George's as well. They've played their tails off for 4 years and it's been a pleasure to get to see them and I hope the schools are able to continue the series for years to come.

DIVISION II-A

Coach of the Year: David Meske (Webb)

Offense

QB - Jake Overbey (University School of Jackson)

QB - Parker Wormsley (Webb School of Knoxville)

RB - Justin Williams (Davidson Academy)

RB - Caleb Blance (Webb School of Knoxville)

RB - Aaron Blance (Webb School of Knoxville)

RB - Ryan Doolin (St. George’s)

WR - Matt Brown (Harding Academy)

WR - Jonathan Payne (Jackson Christian School)

WR - Connor Maitland (Franklin Road Academy)

OL - Patrick Daley (Webb School of Knoxville)

OL - Jay Werner (Webb School of Knoxville)

OL - Spencer Pulley (Evangelical Christian School)

OL - Cabell Brown (St. George’s)

TE - Preston Brown (St. George’s)

ATH - Noah Chandler (Jackson Christian School)

K - Connor Doolin (St. George’s)

Defense

DL - Hunter Little (Webb School of Knoxville)

DL - Kelly Thomas (Webb School of Knoxville)

DL - Hugh Stephens (St. George’s)

DL- Josh Klesges (St. George’s)

LB - Ross DeJarnatt (Jackson Christian School)

LB - Drae Bowles (Jackson Christian School)

LB - Powers Spencer (University School of Jackson)

LB - Brewer Congleton (Webb School of Knoxville)

LB - Jim Dolinak (Webb School of Knoxville)

DB - Josh Gregory (Davidson Academy)

DB - Colin Johnston (Donelson Christian Academy)

DB - Lee Mayhall (University School of Jackson)

DB - Bryan Berube (Webb School of Knoxville)

DB - George Jamison (Evangelical Christian School)

P - Jack Grayson (Webb School of Knoxville)

That's an interesting offensive line with only 4 players. :)

I suspect it's mighty hard for sportswriters who probably aren't interested in DII-A much at all to come up with a team. I suspect they look for stats, mostly offense, and run with that and probably compare notes with buddies from other parts of the state to fill in with players they've likely never seen and even sometimes not heard of. You can see several players on the team that really don't play the positions they're in...not as their primary position. I suspect that's all about getting the star players on offense for each team named to the all star squad. That's nothing new.

In the end, I suspect it's one of those "to the victor goes the spoils" things. Only Matt Brown from Harding made it from a non playoff team. Donelson is the only playoff team that didn't make it out of the first round of the playoffs that has a representative and they only have one. SBEC is the only quarterfinalist not represented. I'm a little disappointed that either Trey Skinner at DB/WR or Josh Kimberlin at QB/LB didn't make it. I suspect being in the Memphis media market and being a very small fish in a pretty large pond didn't help when it came to representation. The players from the west that did make it are all certainly well deserving of recognition from what I've seen. I'd have had a hard time choosing myself. I'd love to see those two on as I think they are really deserving but I'd be hard pressed to want to bump somebody else off the list. There are some really fine players on that list. Very exciting for them.

I'd say next year Josh Kimberlin makes the team if he stays healthy even if it's in more of an athlete position like Noah Chandler at JCS got this year due to the inevitable logjam at QB. I may well be missing somebody but Josh is likely the best returning QB in DII-A for next year although I think of a couple who are pretty darn good. I thought it was quite a telling honor that the coaches in West 1 voted Josh as player of the year...the ones who had to coach against him.

One more thought. It's been a lot of fun to get ECS, USJ, and JCS on the schedule as well as Fayette Academy and a real blast (sometimes not so good for SBEC) watching some of these kids do so well the last 2 years...welcome, welcome additions to DII-A. I hope there are more opportunities to play the East/Middle teams, too, because getting Zion and Ezell were welcome matches the last 2 years to play somebody different and get to experience the wonderful people from those great schools....

....but I'll sure miss Justin Williams who we saw for 4...well 3, I guess, b/c of the injury last year. I still remember him running the ball with that cast on his arm as a freshman...the only time we could beat him. :)

Will miss seeing those kids from St. George's as well. They've played their tails off for 4 years and it's been a pleasure to get to see them and I hope the schools are able to continue the series for years to come.

That for the all true. Thanks

• 3 months later...

unfortunately DII - A is a throw away clasification with virtually no interest or support outside of parents who have kids playing at those schools....they get no attention...it is the black hole of the TSSAA....if it were my school I would do what i could to get into any other class.

So true and whats crazy is that 4 of top 2012 recruits will come from DII A.

Drae Bowles WR/DB

Josh Kimberlin QB/LB

and from St Georges OL and RB