Lewis County over Waverly 38-0!

donhaney

In what many had predicted as a close game (myself included), the Panthers came out and totally dominated this contest. I was very impressed with the defensive play, especially some new wreenkles and adjustments that were put into place this week. The defense played up to their level of potential tonight and Waverly never got anything going.

Lewis County led 19-0 after one period... 32-0 going into the fourth quarter. Lewis County is really spreading the wealth around on offense as they are using two fullbacks fairly equally, Ellis Dailey had 9 carries for 64 yards while sophomore Marcus Booker had 8 for 72. The three wingbacks carried 18 times for 157 yards.

Kevin Skelton had a 94 yard punt return to give a big boost to the special teams!

Defense was just phenomenal. Waverly ran 33 plays for 45 total yards thru the first three quarters and finished with 90 yards of total offense. Panthers limited their fine running back, Jessie Hayes to 48 yards on 13 carries.

Big statistic and problem for the Panthers had been the pass defense but they really worked in that area this week. Waverly was 2-13 passing for 8 yards with 2 picks.

I haven't been real excited about the team until tonight;s game when I think they showed they can turn it up a notch when necessary.

YEA IT WAS A HUGE BLOWOUT. IF WAVERLY HAD A COACH THAT KNEW ANY PLAYS OTHER THAN RUNNING THE BALL THE TIGERS MIGHT HAVE A CHANCE AT WINNING. HOW MANY TIMES DOES IT TAKE TO REALIZE THAT WHEN YOU RUN THE SAME PLAYS OVER AND OVER AND THEY DO NOT WORK, THAT YOU NEED TO TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT. WHO I FEEL SORRY FOR IS IS THE BOYS PLAYING ON THE FIELD. THEY HAVE TO RUN WHAT PLAY THE COACH CALLS AND IS ISN'T THEIR FAULT THE COACH DOESN'T KNOW BUT A COUPLE OF RUNNING PLAYS. I DON'T THINK HE KNOWS THE MEANING OF PASSING THE BALL. THIS SAME GROUP OF BOYS IN 8TH GRADE WON EVERY GAME AND BEAT MT JUILET IN A PLAYOFF GAME. THE TIGERS ARE PLAYING THE SAME TEAMS NOW THAT THEY PLAYED IN THE 8TH GRADE. JUST SEEMS A LITTLE STRANGE THAT THEY COULD BEAT THESE TEAMS THEN BUT NOT NOW. BOYS DON'T LOSE TALENT OVER THE YEARS THEY GAIN TALENT. THE PROBLEM FOR THE WAVERLY TIGERS IS NOT THE BOYS PLAYING ABILITY, IT IS THEIR COACH NOT KNOWING HOW TO CALL PLAYS. HE HAS RECEIVERS ABLE TO CATCH THE BALL, HE ALSO HAS A TIGHTEND PLAYER WHO IS A LARGE TARGET, BUT WILL NOT UTILIZE THE RECEIVERS OR THE TIGHTEND. MOST PEOPLE WHO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT BALL KNOWS THAT YOU HAVE TO CHANGE UP PLAYS. IF YOU RUN THE BALL EVERYTIME THE RUNNING BACKS DON'T HAVE MUCH A CHANCE BUT IF YOU AT LEAST ATTEMPT A PASS IT WILL KEEP THE DEFENSE FROM RUSHNG ALL 11 PLAYERS .

Here's your possible orders of finish, with the given that Richland is not going to win a region game.

If Lewis County beats Richland and Loretto, Lewis County finishes first.

If Loretto beats Waverly and Lewis County, and Lewis County beats Richland, Loretto finishes first and Lewis County second.

If Loretto loses to Waverly but defeats Lewis County and if Waverly were to beat Fairview, then there would be a three way tie and seeding would be determined by overall record,

then head to head.

If Waverly loses to Loretto and beats Fairview, then Waverly finishes third.

If Waverly loses to Loretto and Fairview and Fairview beats Harpeth, then Fairview finishes third.

Fairview can finish no higher than third because although they could possibly tie either Loretto or Lewis County for second, they have lost to each during regular season which is the first tie breaker.

Waverly can finish no higer than second unless Lewis County lost to Richland.

For Harpeth to have any chance at the playoffs, they would have to beat Richland and Fairview which would make them 2-3 and Fairview would also have to lose to Waverly which would make them 2-3, creating a tie which would then be broken by head to head which would eliminate Fairview.

Harpeth can't leapfrog Waverly because they can do no better than tie them for fourth which would give Waverly the nod because of their regular season win.

Waverly got beat by a better team, plain and simple. It wouldn't have mattered if Knute Rockne was coaching for Waverly Friday night. Give Lewis County credit, they were bigger, stronger, faster and more talented than Waverly. Waverly has enjoyed success this year by running the ball, which they are alot better at than throwing. They did try to throw against Lewis County, but were unsuccessful as they completed only 1 of 13 passes for 0 yards. Some were bad throws, but others were good throws that were dropped.

The statement that since they won as 8th graders means they should win as seniors is absolutely ridiculous. That statement and thought process alone proves to me you must have no sense of logic or reality. To think they are playing the same teams is absurd. I think any coach who reads that statement will get a chuckle. For example, some kids who play in junior high continue to play in high school while others decide not to play in high school. Still, others who did not play in junior high may decide to play in high school. Also, there are the kids who transfer in and those that move away. The biggest difference though is how much kids change from their 8th grade year when they are 13 & 14 year olds to their senior year when they are 17 & 18 year olds.

It's just amazing how quick people jump ship. I doubt very seriously you are a true Waverly fan, but rather someone just trying to stir up crap. The Waverly players are a great group of kids who are playing with alot of heart and dedication while conducting themselves in a class manner. They don't need people like you getting on here criticizing their head coach when it is obvious you have no earthly idea what you are talking about. The players realize they got taken behind the woodshed and whipped by Lewis County. Maybe the early wins were a bit misleading for everyone as Lewis County was the first good opponent Waverly has faced, as our wins have come against some very weak opponents (combined record 2-22). As for the rest of the season I feel our boys will learn from the loss, bounce back and get back on the winning track this Friday night against Stewart County.

[Edited by swamptiger on 10-7-02 12:12A]

oh believe me i know those boys play with class and great attitudes. they have been put thru the mill and back for the past three years. they deserve more credit than they will ever be given to go through what they have and stick together as they have done. my hats off to these boys they are great. it is just sad to see them have to go through another year of it. yea they won four games and yes the other teams they played were weak. lewis was a great team and by no means take nothing away from them. what i feel is when you run the same plays over and over and it doesn't work then common sense tells you to try something else. those boys deserve that. all the other coaches seem to be doing a really good job. maybe one of them need to call the plays on offense. never hurts to try something new when the same old plays don't work. i haven't jumped ship i still believe in the boys because they have a great group but as for the offensive coach calling the same plays that gets old. why not try something different and give these boys a chance at having a winning season