DII-AA all-state announced

Trojan Fan

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/dec/22/tswa-all-state-football-teams/

DIVISION 2-AA

Coach of the Year: Ricky Bowers (Ensworth)

Offense

QB -- Jacob Huesman (Baylor), Toby Baker (MUS). RB -- Corn Elder (Ensworth), Ryan Eason (Christian Brothers), Victor Caro (Brentwood Academy), Radir Annoor (Brentwood Academy). WR -- Weldon Garlington (Brentwood Academy), Tray Becton-Martin (Briarcrest), Trey Wilkins (St. Benedict). OL -- Antonio Richardson (Ensworth), Ben Still (MUS), Hunter Long (Briarcrest), Micah Fleet (Christian Brothers), Barrett Gouger (Baylor). ATH -- Jordan Wilkins (St. Benedict), Keenan Hale (McCallie). K -- Arturo Rocha (McCallie).

Defense

DL -- Woody Baron (Brentwood Academy), Keenen Crenshaw (Ensworth), Connor Caldwell (Montgomery Bell Academy), Jarrod Coleman (McCallie), Matt Murphy (Christian Brothers), John Mackey (Baylor). LB -- Henry Dickinson (MUS), Stephen Varnado (Christian Brothers), Blake Thomson (Battle Ground Academy), David Helton (Baylor). DB -- Derek King (Brentwood Academy), Austin Bennett (Christian Brothers), Joe Riegle (Montgomery Bell Academy), Davis Sayle (Briarcrest), Patrick Pickney (Father Ryan). P -- Nathan Renfro (Brentwood Academy).

That QB from MUS must have had quite a year to beat out Parker from Ensworth and the QB from BGA. Can anyone provide objective stats for the purpose of comparison? Not complaining and have no intention whatsoever of diminishing the respect that the MUS QB clearly deserves; just curious about the stats.

That is an awesome resource - thanks!!!!

Per your stats:

Beathard (CPA) was 160 of 292 (54.8%) for 2382 yards in 13 games (183.2 yards/game) with 17 TDs and 8 INTs for an efficiency rating of 137.05. His team made the semi-final, where it lost to Baylor.

Parker (Ensworth) was 118 of 188 (62.8%) for 1762 yards in 12 games (146.8 yards/game) with 9 TDs and 4 INTs for an efficiency rating of 153.04. His team won the championship.

Baker (MUS) was 126 of 214 (58.9%) for 1688 yards in 11 games (153.5 yards/game) with 13 TDs and 8 INTs for an efficiency rating of 137.71. His team lost to BA in the second round of the playoffs.

Congratulations to all three on fantastic seasons against some pretty darn good defenses.

Edited by RedRobin

I know that I shouldn't question some of the players. But my question is should Ensworth's Richardson be on this team? He missed the last 5 games. He quit on the school, team and teammates. I understand why, for his lucrative football future.

What if a possible all state preseason player played 7 games then got injured and missed the last 5 games would he be awarded an all state pick? That is sort of how I view Richardsons situation.

I would think too that leadership and being a great teammate would be a small part of the selection criteria.

I hope the best for Richardson and believe he will have a great football career.

Edited by shakinthefat

I know that I shouldn't question some of the players. But my question is should Ensworth's Richardson be on this team? He missed the last 5 games. He quit on the school, team and teammates. I understand why, for his lucrative football future.

What if a possible all state preseason player played 7 games then got injured and missed the last 5 games would he be awarded an all state pick? That is sort of how I view Richardsons situation.

I would think too that leadership and being a great teammate would be a small part of the selection criteria.

I hope the best for Richardson and believe he will have a great football career.

They should adopt the rule, "must be present to win". His leaving the team should have disqualified him.

I thought that quite odd as well. Not sure what the criteria are - or even the exact process utilized to pick the team. Were I part of the selection committee, I would be much more inclined to include someone who became unable to play due to injury than someone who decided not to play for whatever reason. I also feel for whoever was left off to leave a spot for Antonio. Much love to Antonio, but I do not think that he should have been eligible for this team.

If I had to make a list of the top players at their position in DII-AA this would not be it. I like that Caldwell and Anoor made it but there are definitely a few names on there that are kind of surprising. I think Josh Smith, Cory Batey and Drew Parker or CJ Beathard need to be on that list.

I agree that more kids were deserving not to take anything away from the great athletes that were selected.

I guess I'm a little bias but I for sure thought one of my sons if not both should have made it. Joshua for sure and my other son Jordan has another year so we will see what happens next year. This was truly a life lesson we are not always going to get something that we think we deserve. Life is not fair but you must do your best regardless. When you know you did your best and you play for the love of the game all else do not matter. Play with pride show respect, dignity and leadership. This is the qualities of a champion. Yes we all want to win awards and be rewarded but we will be rewarded by living Christ like. Great year for BGA, it was fun to watch. CJ was simple amazing, Kennan was electric, Blake our only All State performer was a beast, Reid was consistent. Our young defense and offense will be back next year a year bigger stronger and more determined. Lets go Cats. I'm proud of all our kids.