Walker Valley v. ND

texas23

http://timesfreepress.com/news/2011/jan/07/mustangs-rally-to-nip-notre-dame-34-33/?sportspreps

CLEVELAND, Tenn. -- Alan Morris had high hopes, but the Walker Valley wrestling coach's expectations didn't exactly match.

"We have had an extremely tough schedule," Morris said Thursday after a 34-33 comeback win over Notre Dame. "It seems like they mopped the mats with us at the Cleveland Duals [in December], and the way we have been wrestling I don't know if I should have expected to win."

Surprise.

After struggling through 12 meets with just three wins, Morris' Mustangs came through with an upset, getting a pin from heavyweight Sam Dwoark to edge the Fighting Irish.

"When I say we have wrestled tough teams, I count Notre Dame among those type teams," Morris said, "so any time you beat Notre Dame it's a big win. It's a good feeling."

Feeling as good as anybody was Dwoark, whose pin not only gave Walker Valley its first lead but also secured the victory. A junior varsity wrestler who had to deal with now-graduated Mustangs heavyweight Dylan Mills, Dwoark was used to going against bigger men and caught Notre Dame's Zane Webster 74 seconds into their match for the deciding pin.

"The two pins in the upper weights cost us," Irish coach John Mullin said. "We were battling tough and picked up some bonus points early, but we really needed even more of a running start in the lower weights. We just don't yet have enough experience in the upper weights."

Dwoark's pin followed a forfeit victory for 215-pound Dillon Raulston and a pin from 189-pound Tristen Mills, Dylan's younger brother.

Morris felt Walker Valley benefited greatly also from a major decision from 152-pound Lawrence Cotton that provided the Mustangs with a bonus point.

Notre Dame wrestled without 119-pounder Jack Boone, who still is working his way down from 125 in the TSSAA's weight management system. Both teams were wrestling their first meets with most of their wrestlers at a lower weight class than where they started the season.

"It's a great win to build on and it would be a great win to take to the practice room, but we have another dual meet tomorrow," Morris said. "I just hope these guys remember this feeling."

010711d8_wrestling_t630.jpg?722e46dd685710b424f1719a69e3d2802eb9f1a6