R1-AA vs R2-AA Sectionals

etownsparky

Wow! No one has any thoughts about either of these games? Okay, here are a few of my thoughts:

Since I haven't seen Fulton play, I don't know anything about them except a few things I've heard. However, the Lady Falcons and Lady Cyclones did have one common opponent, CAK, this season. The Lady Cyclones defeated CAK easily at home but suffered their only loss to them in Knoxville at the end of the regular season. The Lady Falcons defeated CAK in the regional semis at home. It's tough to draw any conclusions from this since individual matchups are often more important. There is a somewhat interesting twist to this game since I believe the current Fulton coach is the son of Unicoi's long-time, but recently retired, Coach Fisher. This should be a tightly contested game featuring Fulton's athleticism against Betsy's defensive intensity and offensive prowess. I give the edge to the Lady Cyclones in this one since they will be playing at home.

The South Greene vs Pigeon Forge game should be a good one. They have played two common opponents, Claiborne and Grainger. PF beat both while SG handled Claiborne but split with Grainger. I haven't seen PF play so this is also a difficult game to pick for me. I give PF the edge since they are hosting and the fact they beat Fulton at Fulton for the R2 crown. However, I would not count out SG. If they get decent production from Hicks, Franklin and Cutshaw; and Ricker plays her normal good game; the Lady Rebels are certainly capable of punching a ticket to M'boro.

Retired Coach Fisher knows Elizabethton extremely well and I have seen him at recent games, so Fulton will know a lot more about Elizabethton than Elizabethton knows about Fulton. The Lady Cyclones' four seniors are probably the most skilled (shooting, passing, ball-handling,etc....) four players in one class in school history. The 2007 and 2008 classes would be in the argument. They, along with junior Lindsay Norris, also play extremely hard and have a lot of defensive intensity. However, the team is not very physical or tall. DeMoss and Roberts' heighth and strength off the bench may be needed to offset Fulton's length and athleticism. I think Elizabethton's will and the home court advantage will help the Lady Cyclones come out on top. Being a Region 1 homer, I will also go with South Greene to nip Pigeon Forge. Go Cyclones!!!!!!

The Lady Cyclones took care of business tonight by beating the Lady Falcons of Knox Fulton. Betsy threatened to blow the game open in the first half but allowed Fulton to draw within 13 at the break. Fulton made a run in the third and got within 2 points in the fourth, but the Lady Cyclones would not be denied as they pulled away for the win and earned a berth in M'boro next week. Go Lady Cyclones!

South Greene gave Pigeon Forge all they could handle, but finally succombed in overtime. So both Regions 1 and 2 will be represented next week in the quarter-final round of the state championships.