Chattanooga Soccer

EastoftheRidge

I believe this will be another exciting year of soccer in the scenic city. As the season continues it will become more apparent which teams will be the best and which teams will be less talented. After attending a few playdays as well as games I believe it is safe to say that this year the traditional powerouses might face more resistence as tournament time approaches in may. Here is a brief overview of the top teams in the area and my opinion on how sucessfull their seasons will be.

Its clear that CCS is be the best overall team. They have the deepest roster in the area as well as one of the best finishers in the state. Though they will face one of the toughest schedules in the stateit is safe to say they will finish atop their district, and more than likely win the region. If they can avoid a wet field as well as PK's they could be in a good position to win a state title.

Notre Dame will be returning to form this season with a very matured starting line-up. Like CCS they will play a tough schedule with a good mix of strong local teams, as well as other good teams from around the state. Though the irish will be very good this year i simply cannot see them outlasting CCS. With that said im predicting them to be #2 in the Area.

East Ridge has looked very skilled so far, and as an alumni I am optimistic that they can reach the sectionals ( or beyond?) once again. Something this East Ridge team has unlike their teams in the past years is a deep roster of skilled players which allows them to sub more often without a drop in the level of play. The pioneers have a very fast-paced offense which can be hard to stop, but also have smart ballhandlers in the midfield which can win the possesion battle against undisciplined teams. The come in at the #3 spot and by the end of the season they will have the record to prove it.

Hixon takes the #4 spot in the area and will be very competitive once again this year. From what i saw in their playday at Camp Jordan Hixon had about 6 guys who could start for nearly every team in the area. They have strong players at foward that can simply bully inferior teams to open up goal scoring oppertunities. But the "X" factor keeping them at the #4 spot is their issues with depth. Without an adequate bench the wildcats will have a tough time getting past some of the more talented teams come tournement time.

Simply out of respect the #5 spot goes to Boyd Buchanan. After a very exciting state championship run the team seems to be in a rebuilding season. They are starting many new faces and it seems uncertain to how talented this team really is. From what I witnessed when i saw them play is that tis team has many similarities to former teams. They play good, possesion soccer with a strong emphasis on tough defence. It seems that though they will be young they will not simply be a push over. But it is highly unlikely that this team will see success beyond the district tournament.

The Rest- East Hamilton will be exciting to watch this season and could very likely be a darkhorse once the tournaments begin. Sweetwater has some skill and will be a team with a nice record as the season draws to a close. Silverdale will have problems scoring on good teams, but could force some impresive ties if they figure out the defense. McMinn Central has some athletes which make them competitive with many teams. Signal Mountain will also be a good team in the area and could also be a darkhorse pick if they can pick up their play against more established teams, if they are overlooked they could be very dangerous.

This is simply my opinion on which teams i believe will have the most success this year. If you agree or disagree please post your 2 cents for Chattanooga area soccer is one of my favorite subjects.

Boyd is starting about 6 freshmen I believe this year. Only scores I've heard were the walker valley scrimmage. I think they were suppose to play East Hamilton but it may have been rained out. CCS is the clear favorite. Anything less than a district and region championship should be a disappointment. CAK returned a lot of good players as well. I predict a CAK vs CCS final.

Boyd is starting about 6 freshmen I believe this year. Only scores I've heard were the walker valley scrimmage. I think they were suppose to play East Hamilton but it may have been rained out. CCS is the clear favorite. Anything less than a district and region championship should be a disappointment. CAK returned a lot of good players as well. I predict a CAK vs CCS final.

I like that match up. You know my thoughts on that... I believe I texted those thoughts to you a few weeks ago.

:ugeek:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think its even close who's the best soccer team in Chattanooga - McCallie. McCallie had shut out victories over CCS and Notre Dame - supposedly two of the better teams in the area - on its way to a 10-1-2 record. Its only loss was in its second game of the season (first day of games as it played 2 hours earlier that day) to Grissom/Huntsville which is the #1 team in Alabama. East Hamilton is having a great season, would have liked to see these two teams play.