Dobyns Bennett Soccer

frog80

Dobyns Bennett has a talented and deep soccer team this season. Coming into the season expectations were high and Coach Woods Added to these by saying he thought this team would be better than last year. It seems something changed and he decided not to put his best team on the field but to play as many sophomores as possible. At the begining of the season he loved to tell everybody that he coould have as many as seven sophomores starting which turned out to be the case. As of this weekend there are now eight starting.These are all super young men with a great amount of potential. There are three or four that are certainly ready for their starting roles. Coach Woods has pushed aside a talented group of juniors and seniors that were big contributors on a team that went 19-2-1 last year. He has taken two juniors and two seniors that played major roles last year and put them on the bench. Three of these players started last year and all four averaged at least 40 minutes a game. Now one is averaging about 40 minutes and the other three are getting 20 minutes or less.

It is pretty easy to see what the coach's agenda is. take this year and next and prepare this class for their senior year. It is amonst like watching a preason game, after 15 or 20 mminutes he subs six players for their obligatory 10 minutes of each half. It reall doesn't seem to matter the cicumstance or situation, six in six out. To make things even more obvious a couple of weeks ago he called a meeting of only sophomores. Maybe it is time to chage fron "One Team, One Tribe" to "One Coach, One Class" (or one coach one player, but I won't go there).

It is very telling from time to time on the field. For example, our second game this weekend. The score is 0-0 when coach makes his usual shift change, six for six. To this point our defenders and keeper are fighting off attack after attack with the ball staying, for the most part, on our end of the field. After the change we start winng balls, switching the field and attacking their defense. We score before this groups 10 miutes are up so the coach lets them finish the half. the score at the half is 2-0 DB. This with our all state senior and all conference sophomore on the bench. How good could this team be and what kind of year could this senior and sophomore be having if he would just put his best players on the field together and subbed in a normal way??? WE WILL NEVER KNOW!!

Do I think these senior and juniors are more skilled than the sophomores? No, not really but physically they are just not ready. Bigger, stronger and faster wins a lot of games. How many times have we seen that this year alone.

I know playing time is a coach's decision and his alone. But it is a shame that a coach would do this to his seniors. He should give this team their best chance for success every time they go on the field. Each and every year it should be his goal for the team to be the best that they can be. I think most would agree with that, but maybe not. I bet Science Hill loves his philosophy.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like you need to have a sit down chat with your coach. Venting on line won't solve anything.

Well said G. I know when we played DB, we were facing a very tough, talented disciplined team. The match ended 1 - 0 with DB scoring with about 2 minutes left. I felt they were well coached. I can only speculate on how and why he is doing what he is doing. I know how important it is to build depth on the bench for the long haul, and you can't do that without playing the younger players. I totally agree with Big G, a face to face sit down with the coach would be the thing to do. When it is all said and done, I feel very sure that DB will be one of the last standing in East Tennessee.

AlcoaDad

:motorbike:

Dobyns Bennett has a talented and deep soccer team this season. Coming into the season expectations were high and Coach Woods Added to these by saying he thought this team would be better than last year. It seems something changed and he decided not to put his best team on the field but to play as many sophomores as possible. At the begining of the season he loved to tell everybody that he coould have as many as seven sophomores starting which turned out to be the case. As of this weekend there are now eight starting.These are all super young men with a great amount of potential. There are three or four that are certainly ready for their starting roles. Coach Woods has pushed aside a talented group of juniors and seniors that were big contributors on a team that went 19-2-1 last year. He has taken two juniors and two seniors that played major roles last year and put them on the bench. Three of these players started last year and all four averaged at least 40 minutes a game. Now one is averaging about 40 minutes and the other three are getting 20 minutes or less.

It is pretty easy to see what the coach's agenda is. take this year and next and prepare this class for their senior year. It is amonst like watching a preason game, after 15 or 20 mminutes he subs six players for their obligatory 10 minutes of each half. It reall doesn't seem to matter the cicumstance or situation, six in six out. To make things even more obvious a couple of weeks ago he called a meeting of only sophomores. Maybe it is time to chage fron "One Team, One Tribe" to "One Coach, One Class" (or one coach one player, but I won't go there).

It is very telling from time to time on the field. For example, our second game this weekend. The score is 0-0 when coach makes his usual shift change, six for six. To this point our defenders and keeper are fighting off attack after attack with the ball staying, for the most part, on our end of the field. After the change we start winng balls, switching the field and attacking their defense. We score before this groups 10 miutes are up so the coach lets them finish the half. the score at the half is 2-0 DB. This with our all state senior and all conference sophomore on the bench. How good could this team be and what kind of year could this senior and sophomore be having if he would just put his best players on the field together and subbed in a normal way??? WE WILL NEVER KNOW!!

Do I think these senior and juniors are more skilled than the sophomores? No, not really but physically they are just not ready. Bigger, stronger and faster wins a lot of games. How many times have we seen that this year alone.

I know playing time is a coach's decision and his alone. But it is a shame that a coach would do this to his seniors. He should give this team their best chance for success every time they go on the field. Each and every year it should be his goal for the team to be the best that they can be. I think most would agree with that, but maybe not. I bet Science Hill loves his philosophy.

I bet Coach Woods has been belly laughing at these comments!!!

I really doubt that Coach Woods is laughing over these comments. Too often parents cannot dismiss their vicarious involvement in their son's life, and, consequently, they fail to see their son's shortcomings. A coach's perspective, on the other hand, is almost always objective; therefore, he is more than likely privy to unique knowledge for why a kid does or does not get time on the pitch.

Unfortunately, coaches rarely get the credit that they deserve. Sometimes parents serve "coach roast" at the dinner table; other times parents gossip like school girls over a coach in the stands; and, at the very worst of times, parents publicly lambaste a coach on a forum. I find this thread tacky, unappreciative, myopic, and wrong.

Good luck to Coach Woods. I, for one, think he is a good coach and a good guy.

I really doubt that Coach Woods is laughing over these comments. Too often parents cannot dismiss their vicarious involvement in their son's life, and, consequently, they fail to see their son's shortcomings. A coach's perspective, on the other hand, is almost always objective; therefore, he is more than likely privy to unique knowledge for why a kid does or does not get time on the pitch.

Unfortunately, coaches rarely get the credit that they deserve. Sometimes parents serve "coach roast" at the dinner table; other times parents gossip like school girls over a coach in the stands; and, at the very worst of times, parents publicly lambaste a coach on a forum. I find this thread tacky, unappreciative, myopic, and wrong.

Well Said.

:motorbike: