McEwen Looking for New Head Coach?

viking_fan

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sources tell me that the head coach at McEwen was fired. Anybody have any info or insight? Does anybody care?

i havent heard this but if it is true, i bet a certain warrior alum from your district will be getting a call. dont think he would take it but i can hear the rumors now. :popcorneater:

My sources tell me that the head coach at McEwen was fired. Anybody have any info or insight? Does anybody care?

Your sources are correct!

i havent heard this but if it is true, i bet a certain warrior alum from your district will be getting a call. dont think he would take it but i can hear the rumors now. :popcorneater:

Sources say the alum of which you speak is aware of the opening and has let the Warriors know that he is not interested.

If Coach Nolan is out as Mactowns coach, I hope it's a case of retirement and not firing.

"Official" word is teaching contract not renewed. Unofficial word is "it is time to go."

Sources say Coach Nolan fought this tooth and nail but the system decided it was time for a change. The Warriors have only had 20-21 players the last couple of years. There were times they could not even run full scrimmages in practice because they did not have enough bodies!

Coach Nolan is a good person but it was time for a change in MacTown. Here is why:

2010 record 2-8. Average points scored 10.2 Average points against 30.1

2009 record 3-8. Average points scored 9.6 Average points against 29.6.

2 of their 5 wins were against Houston County, who I believe has lost 25 in a row. In 2009 in their 8 losses they were outscored by an average of 38-5. In 2009 in their 8 losses they were outscored by an average of 35-8.

That is just not very good, offensively or defensively. McEwen has better talent than that walking the halls and on the field. If you saw McEwen play the last couple of years you saw teams that didn't appear very well coached.

It is hard sometimes for coaches to give it up and Coach Nolan was one of those who would never give it up. 28 years at 1 school (this time) is enough. For the good kids of McEwen, who love football, if the system will do the right thing and hire a FOOTBALL coach, McEwen Warrior football can get back to a competitive level as they have been in the past. It is a place where the community will support the team and are proud of their Warriors. Hope it works out for the kids and the community.

Your sources are correct!

Sources say the alum of which you speak is aware of the opening and has let the Warriors know that he is not interested.

"Official" word is teaching contract not renewed. Unofficial word is "it is time to go."

Sources say Coach Nolan fought this tooth and nail but the system decided it was time for a change. The Warriors have only had 20-21 players the last couple of years. There were times they could not even run full scrimmages in practice because they did not have enough bodies!

Coach Nolan is a good person but it was time for a change in MacTown. Here is why:

2 of their 5 wins were against Houston County, who I believe has lost 25 in a row. In 2009 in their 8 losses they were outscored by an average of 38-5. In 2009 in their 8 losses they were outscored by an average of 35-8.

That is just not very good, offensively or defensively. McEwen has better talent than that walking the halls and on the field. If you saw McEwen play the last couple of years you saw teams that didn't appear very well coached.

It is hard sometimes for coaches to give it up and Coach Nolan was one of those who would never give it up. 28 years at 1 school (this time) is enough. For the good kids of McEwen, who love football, if the system will do the right thing and hire a FOOTBALL coach, McEwen Warrior football can get back to a competitive level as they have been in the past. It is a place where the community will support the team and are proud of their Warriors. Hope it works out for the kids and the community.

Why is this job not posted? seems to me if the good folks of mcewen really wanted a quality coach, they would look everywhere for one... unless they already have a person in mind... and in house. good luck, :popcorneater:

While I agree that it was time to go for Coach Nolan, the last couple of years were bad because the players were bad. There wasn't much talent on those teams. Coach Nolan has been running the same plays for years and has had some success when he had the right players. In 2008 he had a very good team! I agree with the change simply in hopes that it breathes new life into the program and gets some of those basketball players and others excited about playing football. On the flip side, you may not know what you've got until it's gone. I'm pretty sure there's not too many qualified candidates in and around McEwen that will want the job.

Has Houston Co. hired a coach; maybe they'll hire Nolan? Wouldn't that be something!

While I agree that it was time to go for Coach Nolan, the last couple of years were bad because the players were bad. There wasn't much talent on those teams. Coach Nolan has been running the same plays for years and has had some success when he had the right players. In 2008 he had a very good team! I agree with the change simply in hopes that it breathes new life into the program and gets some of those basketball players and others excited about playing football. On the flip side, you may not know what you've got until it's gone. I'm pretty sure there's not too many qualified candidates in and around McEwen that will want the job.

Has Houston Co. hired a coach; maybe they'll hire Nolan? Wouldn't that be something!

Eric Hatley would be a GREAT hire! He is a student of the game, a great X and O guy, has great rapport with his players, and grew up in and played for McEwen. The kids walking the halls would be begging to come out and play for this guy!

Eric Hatley would be a GREAT hire! He is a student of the game, a great X and O guy, has great rapport with his players, and grew up in and played for McEwen. The kids walking the halls would be begging to come out and play for this guy!

First off its Nolen (not Nolan) As a mentor and close relative the town of McEwen is going to miss Coach Nolen. There is no one out that loved the sport of football anymore than he did. Yes you have your good years and bad especially at a single A school but nobody ever worked harder at a job than he did. He has lived and breathed the sport of football his whole life and devoted a lot of time to it. Most people don't understand how much time is put into running a program from mowing fields, washing uniforms or raising money to build a fieldhouse which I know he was very proud of. He earned a lot respect from the players he coached over the years and I know personally if it hadn't been for him I probably would have nevered played football much less coached. Yes it may have been time for him to retire but I wish the administration could have handled things a little differently. Its hard to let go of something you have done as long as he has but he is strong in his beliefs and will get through this. As far as him coaching somewhere else I don't for see that happening. I know he will be missed by all the football guys he has met over the years. Now he can go enjoy himself as a spectator on Friday nights maybe even go watch his nephew coach and the Redhawks who are just down the road. Thanks for all you have done for me and the sport of football. The town of McEwen and the players you have touched are going to miss you. :thumb:

First off its Nolen (not Nolan) As a mentor and close relative the town of McEwen is going to miss Coach Nolen. There is no one out that loved the sport of football anymore than he did. Yes you have your good years and bad especially at a single A school but nobody ever worked harder at a job than he did. He has lived and breathed the sport of football his whole life and devoted a lot of time to it. Most people don't understand how much time is put into running a program from mowing fields, washing uniforms or raising money to build a fieldhouse which I know he was very proud of. He earned a lot respect from the players he coached over the years and I know personally if it hadn't been for him I probably would have nevered played football much less coached. Yes it may have been time for him to retire but I wish the administration could have handled things a little differently. Its hard to let go of something you have done as long as he has but he is strong in his beliefs and will get through this. As far as him coaching somewhere else I don't for see that happening. I know he will be missed by all the football guys he has met over the years. Now he can go enjoy himself as a spectator on Friday nights maybe even go watch his nephew coach and the Redhawks who are just down the road. Thanks for all you have done for me and the sport of football. The town of McEwen and the players you have touched are going to miss you. :thumb:

Let me say I respect Coach Nolen and there is no doubt that he loved football. He did work hard at it and devoted a lot of time to it. However, I also have known Coach Nolen for over 30 years and watched him at all of his Coaching jobs and it was time for a change in McEwen. I also know for a fact that in his later years he was way less than encouraging to kids playing other sports in addition to football and did not cooperate with other sports and their time and effort. He especially didn't want anyone on "his" football field or messing with "his" facilities. That cannot be done at a single A school with a limited pool of talent to pick from. The administration may have handled it poorly, I don't know, but it is never easy when you fire someone.

Moto24, you are I know very familiar with McEwen football and have seen them quite a bit over the years. The last couple of years were bad but I disagree that it was because the players were bad. Although their talent dropped off after the Tummins' boy and his class graduated, there is some talent there. After that class left, Coach Nolen decided to change offenes and run some type of single wing, gimmick offense that was terrible. He did this I believe because his talent was dropping off a little but it just made the offense worse. When he ran the same plays he had run for years they didn't look bad. Two years ago against Jo Byrns they scrapped the gimick stuff and went back to their old offense for the week and hung around for a while against a very, very good Jo Byrns team that lost to South Pittsburg in the finals.

It had gotten in McEwen the last few years where only 20-21 kids were on the entire team and a lot of good talent was just not playing for Coach Nolen because they did not like him. Unlike in the old days when I played (for Coach Nolen I might add), most kids will not play simply for the love of the game. If they don't like the coach they'll find something else to do. The rumor around town had been that they were possible down to less than 20 players for spring football. Although it is always tough at a single A school and you will have cycles, lots of programs prove that it can be done. It was getting embarrassing.

Moto, you are right, I'm real sure there are not too many qualified candidates in and around McEwen that will want the job. However, there are qualified candidates in other places and young energetic coaches that would take a job like McEwen. It is a great city to raise a family in and the community absolutely supports the football team even in the down years.

big D, the job is not posted not because the good people of McEwen don't want a quality football coach. Unfortunately for the good folks of McEwen and the kids who love football in the community, the job will not be posted to the outside world. I believe they have a policy, at least unwritten, of hiring all coaches from within. That meaning within the current Humphreys County education system. That being the case, unless you get lucky, you will always hire in house and it will take pure luck to get a qualified coach. They will have to be developed in the system, like Coach Phil Ross. ALl this is too bad for McEwen.

I hear the decision is already made and it will be someone already on staff. Obviously that leaves you limited choices. Good luck to the Warriors. I hope that it works out.

• 2 months later...

What was the result of the coaching search? Who is in and what is the new guy all about? Will this have any impact on the playoff race in the region and why is there such a lack of interest in this topic in that community? JB first, Nash. Chr. second prob. but who will fill out the rest of the top five?