Nashville wrestling program

cacwrestling

Athletes/Coaches,

My name is Del Hawkins. I have recently moved to the Nashville area from Chattanooga, and I am in the process of starting a new wrestling program/club. Thanks to both Coach Newman and Coach Blair, the program will offer two locations, Brentwood and Stratford High School. The program will be open to all athletes wanting serious training in a structured, positive environment. We have already started open mat workouts at Brentwood and plan to release an official schedule within the next few weeks. If you are an athlete or coach wanting to continue training please contact me as soon as possible. For those of you I have not met, I understand the hesitation in promoting a new program to your athletes. If anyone has any questions or would like additional information, please feel free to contact me any time. I would be more than happy to talk about my wrestling background and experience as well as offer references.

The main purpose of the club is to develop a strong sense of community and provide opportunity to all athletes that want to reach their full potential. Although athletic development is extremely important to the program it will not be the only measure of success. All athletes will be required to take part in team community service projects as well as a scholar athlete program. The three measures of success are defined below:

1. Athletic development: We will offer structured training four days a week. Two days will be group practice and the other two will be devoted to small group or individual development. We will offer all of the resources available for our athletes to reach their athletic potential and constantly look to expand those resources to become locally, regionally and nationally competitive. Each athlete will be given a plan in order to reach individual goals and held accountable to the implementation and execution of the plan in order to reach their potential.

2. Community Involvement: Although we should be proud of our individual success and constantly strive to improve ourselves; It is our investment in community as a whole that is the real measure of life. To encourage future community investment, each athlete will participate in team community service projects.

3. Scholar Athlete: Academics are vital to the success of our athletes and bring balance to physical training. Initially we will start with informal projects such as a book club (Wrestling/Sport topics) that meets once a week after practice and eventually expand to include athlete tutoring.

We eventually want to make the program free to all that desire to reach their potential but think we will need to charge a small fee at first(between $10 - $20 per month) in order to insure stability and help with the growth of the club. Hopefully we can develop a 501.c.3 (nonprofit) within a few months and quickly move forward and implement ideas that will make it free to all. Saying that, it is very important we do not turn away any deserving athlete because of financial reasons; we will address each situation individually. If you are unable to afford the cost of the program please send us an email describing your situation and why you want to wrestle and we will get back to you soon as possible with a solution that allows you to participate. We have also established a plan that will offer assistance with additional fee(s) that are associated with the sport as well. In our continued efforts in organizing the club we want to make sure we continue to bridge the social and economic gaps so often found in life as well as sport. It is extremely important this club become a vessel of opportunity for all that are willing to put forth the effort to better themselves and those around them.

Thanks again,

Del

delhawkins74@gmail.com

Mobile 615-594-2494

Google 423-463-0074

Good luck using Stratford. Metro-Nashville Schools are all about not promoting wrestling. If you can pull this off, it may open the doors for a return of Metro wrrestling. Good luck again.

Del, my principal,and myself met today to work out the details for getting the club started. We all wanted to work together to give the wrestlers in our area of Nashville the opportunity to be the best they can be. All three of us are committed to making this club happen. Del and myself are working to get the wrestling room set-up and the necessary paper work complete to be able to start next week. Coach Bello at Hunters Lane is also going to help us out and bring some of his wrestlers to work out with the Stratford guys. When I was coaching in Nashville before I went to GA. the way Nashville wrestlers got better was by working together and helping each other to compete against the rest of the state and nationally. That is what I want to help happen again in Nashville.

We all want to do our part to get Nashville wrestler where is was in the past!

Edited by shootthehalf

We are getting a lot of interest in the new program but are still a few weeks away from a full time schedule. We are waiting for summer football/other sports workouts to be finalized, so we can coordinate weight room time with our mat workouts. We will be at two locations, Brentwood and Stratford High School, and will offer workouts four days a week at both locations. Two days a week will be group/team practice and the other two will be individual and small group training.

In the interim, we are having somewhat structured open mats at Brentwood on Monday/Wednesday and on Tuesday/Thursdays at Stratford. The session will go until the last wrestler leaves. This gives me an opportunity to get to know the wrestlers a little better, and is a great time for one on one instruction.

Brentwood: Monday and Wednesday starting at 3:45

Stratford: Tuesday and Thursday starting at 2:30

The Program is chartered under USA Wrestling and each wrestler will be required to have a USAW card for insurance and competition purposes. We will also be charging $20.00 a month for the program. Please feel free to call if you have any questions or need help with the process.

Thanks,

Del

615-594-2494

• 3 weeks later...

The Nashville Wrestling Club has organized and will be participating in a combined/unified wrestling camp for athletes and coaches during the 10 day coaching period allotted by TSSAA for the month of June. This will be a structured practice during the week and a compete day on Sundays(Show up, warm up, and start challenging for matches). The camp will be held at Battle Ground Academy. Regular club practice will resume after completion of the camp.

We have also created a facebook page under the name Nashville Wrestling Club. If so inclined, please "like" our page to receive event notifications and the occasional club update.

Nashville Wrestling Club Facebook page

cost: free to participating teams

Start date: June 6th

End date: June 19th

Schedule:

Monday Through Thursday 6pm to 8pm

Sunday 3pm to 5pm

An optional early lift will be available before practice for athletes as well

We are also organizing a morning camp at Stratford Monday through Thursday 9am to 11am (tentative) during the same dates but space is limited. Please call before making arrangements to attend Stratford.