Evaluation

danielson2222

Does anyone know of a professional evaluation service here in Middle Tennessee? I'm looking for an un-biased evaluation too see if my son should consider college baseball. I've heard of some of these services but haven't found any. I guess a professional scout can do the same thing. If any of you know the typical charge for this service it would be helpful too. I just need a 'TRUE' evaluation.

How has your son done this year? What was his average? Does he start? Is he one of your teams top pitchers? Did he make All District? If he is good enough the scouts will let you know.

I couldn't disagree with you more. After much reading and studying I have found that college coaches pay little to no attention to the parameters you listed above. Here is a direct quote from the hsbaseballweb website.

"Some teams and conferences are not as strong as others. Simply being the best player on a team or league may not qualify your son to compete at the highest level in college. On the other hand, if your son has played sparingly in high school, this doesn't mean he can't compete in college and get a scholarship."

I've also talked to an Under Armor representative from Maryland, who basically stated the same thing. If what you say is correct then there would be no need for college coaches or scouts to do any evaluations or any need for travel teams, college showcase camps or other showcases. They would simply look at the stats and make a decision. It is the players and parents responsibility in finding the right college to attend. An evaluation helps narrow the field from the start and helps them be more focused on finding the right place.

I couldn't disagree with you more. After much reading and studying I have found that college coaches pay little to no attention to the parameters you listed above. Here is a direct quote from the hsbaseballweb website.

"Some teams and conferences are not as strong as others. Simply being the best player on a team or league may not qualify your son to compete at the highest level in college. On the other hand, if your son has played sparingly in high school, this doesn't mean he can't compete in college and get a scholarship."

I've also talked to an Under Armor representative from Maryland, who basically stated the same thing. If what you say is correct then there would be no need for college coaches or scouts to do any evaluations or any need for travel teams, college showcase camps or other showcases. They would simply look at the stats and make a decision. It is the players and parents responsibility in finding the right college to attend. An evaluation helps narrow the field from the start and helps them be more focused on finding the right place.

Why ask the question then? You've already answered yourself. If you need to ask if he is good enough or not, then in all likely hood he is not good enough to play college ball. Simple and honest truth.

My honest opnion would be that your son play summer ball on a good team that will be playing at colleges and universities. Also he may want to attend some showcases to show college scouts what he has to offer. I would have to say that it would be tough getting into a college or university witout being All-District or something eqivalent. Only very small colleges waste their time on average players. Thats just my opinion and what I've learned in the last 2 years.

Is your son a senior? Most of the state's community colleges have open tryouts for unsigned seniors during the summer. Try out at as many as you can; if your son is good enough, one of these colleges will give him a chance. Junior College is very good baseball especially in Tennessee (alot better than people think). If he can make one of these teams and is good enough, the coaches in this league are very good about sending players on to universities.

Is your son a senior? Most of the state's community colleges have open tryouts for unsigned seniors during the summer. Try out at as many as you can; if your son is good enough, one of these colleges will give him a chance. Junior College is very good baseball especially in Tennessee (alot better than people think). If he can make one of these teams and is good enough, the coaches in this league are very good about sending players on to universities.

He is still a Junior but that's good information you gave us. Thanks for the info.

Scouts don't even look at averages, they look for "tools". They can tell if a player has what it takes without numbers.

First take him to the Tenn Smokies High School Showcase In July. Get him in front of coaches.

Then Spend the money and take him to the Perfect Game Showcase in Atlanta GA in August.

Spend the rest of the summer and fall contacting the coaches from the smokies showcase and other colleges your son is interested in and refer them to PG to look at your sons evaluation. Remember that most colleges use showcases to raise money or pay assistants. So go to the schools your really interested in. Unfortunatly there will be some cost involved so choose wisely.

There are lots of options out there NCAA,NAIA,Juco.......

Coaches want to know:

Whats the kid like: Character

What are his grades Like: GPA, ACT

Then skill level: play ability

This is only my opinion and its some of the things I helped my son with. If you agree or disagree it makes no differance to me. My son signed back in December.

Hope this helps. :thumb:

And you sir, are paying the bills at Under Armour and Perfect Game and every other "Thanks for bringing your kid mom and dad, here is a cd of your son's greatest hits at our showcase" Showcase.

No doubt there are caveats to numbers for high school players in various parts of the Volunteer state. But quite simply, if a kid can play then he is playing; and playing well. And people who need to know have been made aware. So if your kid is the 2nd string JV LF there is a reason. But if he can play, he will get to play.

That being said, there is a good fit for every player. And if it doesn't come to you by fall of senior year, start looking for it and make your own opportunity.

But, as Slider said, a lot of College showcases are supplementing a lot of asst coach salaries. If they find a gem, great. But if they don't, they're still cashing everybody's check. Buyer beware

Totally agree, most juco's will give them a workout and possibly others. I know of two players from my son's school who went for tryouts and ended up with partial scholarships. Another tip would be to take video and edit highlights and send those out to schools. Here again I know of a couple of players that have gotten offers that way.

My honest opnion would be that your son play summer ball on a good team that will be playing at colleges and universities. Also he may want to attend some showcases to show college scouts what he has to offer. I would have to say that it would be tough getting into a college or university witout being All-District or something eqivalent. Only very small colleges waste their time on average players. Thats just my opinion and what I've learned in the last 2 years.

I don't know that I'd say small colleges waste their time on average players. They're giving kids an opportunity they might not have otherwise.