Vounteer vs Sullivan North

You want to look at actual numbers? Fine. Let's do it. In 30 years of football there has been one...ONE...winning season. A bunch of bellyaching fans that thought they knew football forced out that coach. Are you trying to say that in 30 years there have been nothing but ignorant coaches at the school? Is the past 30 years all on the coaches there or is there some blame to be placed elsewhere too? Why are the coaches that leave so successful elsewhere? I played during the very first couple of years of the school. I have followed my school since it opened. Coaches make mistakes just like players no doubt. Are there things I would like to see? Sure but I'm not going to go on a message board and attack men that are trying to help a bunch of kids. I admire your enthusiasm. I really do. I just think that you are looking through rose colored glasses and vent your concerns in an unproductive way.

I guess I'm defending them because they do work hard and try to teach our kids about being a man as much as a football player. Take the hours the players spend preparing and at least double that for the coaches. They get paid jack squat. These coaches have helped my son above and beyond anything football. For that I am greatful.

Only a few schools around here pay their coaches good money. The schools that do usually have a better program. But most coaches coach because they love the game and enjoy working with the kids. From what I hear about Rider is he is a good man and the players love him. I would like to see him win more games though. That's all I'm saying. Running the ball to the weak side against north was open all night long and for some reason rider would not run the ball that way, instead he chose to run to Rowes and the rbs side( the strong side, the side where the tight end is lined up just in case you didn't know). Also, didn't see any option or draw plays in the running game. The passing went for too many long passes, slants or short passes to the tight end are very high percentage passes. These are things that make me queshion him. I dont get why it takes so long for the coaching staff to understand.

As for the defense, I thought the run defense looked okay when North didn't stretch the ball outside. Still seeing a lot of arm tackling going on instead of wrapping up. Volunteer still struggles with defending the screen pass, I would think they would teach the players how to stop it. It seems like it takes volunteer to week 4 to be where they should have been at week 1. The defense has to be able to hold teams under 28 points a game.

I'm well aware of volunteer only having 1 winning season in 30 years. That is truely sad. You talk like it's because volunteer's players dont have enough talent to compete and no blame should fall on the coaching staff. I totally disagree, volunteer has enough talent to have winning seasons. Its the coaching staffs job to develop the players they have and give the kids the best chance to win.

I don't care if they lose every game as long as the players were given the best opportunity to win. I don't think that is asking too much.

Edited by rogers4falcons

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can argue all day about fault. I have nothing against the younger Rogers I think he is a fine young man. Those who act like they support the Falcons and then attack them, I have no respect for them. Why do people always resort to "meet me in the stands and we'll settle this talk" when they are losing an argument? Look around, the only persons fighting against the Falcons staff are two wannabe-coaches who have still not responded with their coaching credentials. As for attacking me with childish talk of getting too cozy with the coaches, if that is how you respond to criticism, then you would never make it as a REAL coach. Neither would I, so I don't try to coach. I support ALL of the falcons from Principal, coaches, band, trainers, players, cheerleaders, to TRUE fans. Maybe you should try to help rather than divide everyone.

Edited by Frombrain2beak

We can argue all day about fault. I have nothing against the younger Rogers I think he is a fine young man. Those who act like they support the Falcons and then attack them, I have no respect for them. Why do people always resort to "meet me in the stands and we'll settle this talk" when they are losing an argument? Look around, the only persons fighting against the Falcons staff are two wannabe-coaches who have still not responded with their coaching credentials. As for attacking me with childish talk of getting too cozy with the coaches, if that is how you respond to criticism, then you would never make it as a REAL coach. Neither would I, so I don't try to coach. I support ALL of the falcons from Principal, coaches, band, trainers, players, cheerleaders, to TRUE fans. Maybe you should try to help rather than divide everyone.

I really cant believe that you are that far out of touch that you want to keep posting stuff about having coaching credentials because I'm stating the obvious facts on how make the program better. Just putting my opinion up just like everyone else.

Question: What is a TRUE fan? Is that someone who is content with everything and keeps their mouth shut? If so, I'm not one of those. I know the majority of the falcon fan base feels the same way that I do, but I'm not scared to let my opinion be heard.

Edited by rogers4falcons

I never claimed to be a coach football, I just give opinions which is the purpose of a message board, you can take what I say with a grain of salt because I'm just a fan of the game that wants to see this boys win more than anything.

I just want to know why everyone is so against playing the boys both ways? Every school we play will do it all season long, because it gives them the best chance to win. Look at North last night the QB was in on almost every tackle, and had the INT before halftime. I know Houston is very athletic and would make a great CB with his speed. Add Jesse to the linebackers, Jordan Lawson to the linebackers, Devin at CB. And with Kory, Sam, and once Robert gets back, Hunter Lawson up front with rotation of Jared Rogers, Peyton Arnold and throw Joe Marsh in the mix at d-line, We have some legit chances to stop anyone in the league. We have given up more points than any team other than Central, when it comes to defense it is never a good thing when the safety is the leading tackler and that happens too much for us.

Again just an opinion, not looking to get bashed for throwing it out there. I know you all want to see these boys win as well.

Some good friends on both staffs. Congrats to Coach Norris and his kids. He won't be out worked or out schemed. You might out athlete his bunch but it won't be without a fight. Proud of the Raiders, I have not seen them play but they have shown some good results already this year.

Coach Rider is equally as good of a coach. His prior stops and experience show that this is not his first rodeo. A lot of options look good when the plays that you run don't work. Most of the time, play choices are dictated by match ups and numbers. Running weak is a great plan unless the defense doesn't over adjust to your strength...then it's just beating your head against a wall to run where you are outnumbered. Throwing deep is usually a response to having 10 or 11 defenders within 10 yds of the line of scrimmage. I didn't see the game, but I know that coach rider has some hitches, slants and dumps in his arsenal...I have experienced them myself. It is proper to make the calls that are correct against what the defense is doing....then, as suggested in earlier posts, it is up to the players to make plays. I checked the records and the winning coaches around here...Carter, stubbs,Clark, I even checked Haynie for good measure...ain't none of them scored a point or made a tackle since the Mountaineer served its last banana split.

Best of luck to the falcons this year...kids, coaches and fans. Not sure bashing in week zero is a great idea. Just sayin!