6A: Quads 1 & 2

ErikG

We know who's in and the groupings are based on the TSSAA's past tendencies - both last year and with their "if the season ended now" forecasts the last few weeks.

6A Quad 1

#8 Bearden @ #1 Maryville

#5 Karns @ #4 Science Hill

#6 Hardin Valley @ #3 Sevier Co.

#7 Jefferson Co. @ #2 Dobyns-Bennett

6A Quad 2

#8 Coffee Co. @ #1 Riverdale

#5 Farragut @ #4 Blackman

#6 Bradley Central @ #3 Cookeville

#7 Oak Ridge @ #2 McMinn Co.

We know who's in and the groupings are based on the TSSAA's past tendencies - both last year and with their "if the season ended now" forecasts the last few weeks.

6A Quad 1

#8 Bearden @ #1 Maryville

#5 Karns @ #4 Science Hill

#6 Hardin Valley @ #3 Sevier Co.

#7 Jefferson Co. @ #2 Dobyns-Bennett

6A Quad 2

#8 Coffee Co. @ #1 Riverdale

#5 Farragut @ #4 Blackman

#6 Bradley Central @ #3 Cookeville

#7 Oak Ridge @ #2 McMinn Co.

For Quad 2, why wouldn't Oakland be in it instead of Blackman? Oakland is further east.....?????

For Quad 2, why wouldn't Oakland be in it instead of Blackman? Oakland is further east.....?????

Again, it's based on what the TSSAA has been projecting every Tuesday for the last few weeks. After week 5 Riverdale, Oakland, Blackman and Siegel were projected in Quad 2. The same was true after week 6. After week 7 Oak Ridge was added to the mix and as a result Siegel slid over to Quad 3. After week 8 Coffee Co. popped into the picture in Quad 2 and, accordingly, Oakland was shifted to Quad 3. Then last week, because Jefferson Co. had, for the time being, fallen from the ranks of the "forecasted qualifiers" Farragut was moved to Quad 1, which opened up a spot for Oakland's return to Quad 2. However, when Jefferson Co. gets reintroduced to the mix - which they are now - it's back to the same situation as following week 8, and I'm assuming the TSSAA will stay consistent. Of course, they have made no geographical rules and it's even a stretch to say they have guidelines, so when it comes to grouping teams into quads, no one can hold them accountable - they do as they please.

I hope that answers your question. The East bracket I've posted is based on previous forecasts by the TSSAA. I can't, however, answer for the TSSAA when it comes to why they have previously gone with those groupings.

Good post and here's why...supposedly Oakland being east had to do with proximity to I-24...but last year we were referring to more Chatt area schools and this year we r projecting more I 40 teams...i.e. Farragut. So, if it is geographic, and I am in no way convinced it is, why is I-24 even an issue when there are 4 I-40 teams and 2 I-24 teams.

Quad 1 is considered a Knoxville/Upper East Tenn. quad.

Quad 2 is considered a Southern Middle Tenn./Chatt. quad (obviously Farragut and Oak Ridge come down because of excessive East Tenn. teams in the playoffs. Proximity to Chatty area did play part of Riverdale/Blackman being selected as the two teams. Subjective -- yes. But consistent to last year. That's all you can hope for is consistency.

Quad 3 A Nashville/Williamson Co. quad.

Quad 4 a Memphis area quad.

I know u r correct, but this is just more flawed logic to predetermine areas...what if for example, next year Lebanon, Wilson Central, and MJ all qualify...that's nearly half a quad. Based on what they r saying, they almost have a preset prediction on area playoff teams...not a good thing to hang the hat on with high schools. I do not disagree with your projections at all, but their area logic is weak at best.

My point above is, in an area-based scenario, it is always both fluctuating and subjective. It's not egregious, I will also propose another problem that is never discussed. A middle TN team that flips flops each year from quad 2 to quad 3 (and it is happening), is eventually going to be caught in this trap...go west one year, make the semis and have to travel in alternating bracket, only to go east and do again the next year. For example, Smtrna traveled as a 1 seed to Whitehaven last year. Imagine they go 10-0 this year, and tssaa wants to split 10-0 teams and sends them east to quad 2 (like Riverdale)...guess what, sorry Smyrna, u have to travel again to Maryville on alternating bracket...break that down-major flaw.

Good post and here's why...supposedly Oakland being east had to do with proximity to I-24...but last year we were referring to more Chatt area schools and this year we r projecting more I 40 teams...i.e. Farragut. So, if it is geographic, and I am in no way convinced it is, why is I-24 even an issue when there are 4 I-40 teams and 2 I-24 teams.

Consider Anderson Co. (5A) being in Quad 2 as of last week. Who can look at a map and say that makes sense given the other teams in play?

Oak Ridge went west last year when Farragut and Maryville made just as much sense in terms of geography and travel time. When it came to why Riverdale was Quad 2 last year instead of Quad 3, its southern, not eastern, positioning was the rationale - supposedly Quad strength and district finish/strength wasn't in play. I guess all you can expect is that the TSSAA be consistent with its inconsistencies.

I just hope we only have 1 more year of this nonsense. If it's such an ingenious system, why doesn't it apply to all other sports?

Again, it's based on what the TSSAA has been projecting every Tuesday for the last few weeks. After week 5 Riverdale, Oakland, Blackman and Siegel were projected in Quad 2. The same was true after week 6. After week 7 Oak Ridge was added to the mix and as a result Siegel slid over to Quad 3. After week 8 Coffee Co. popped into the picture in Quad 2 and, accordingly, Oakland was shifted to Quad 3. Then last week, because Jefferson Co. had, for the time being, fallen from the ranks of the "forecasted qualifiers" Farragut was moved to Quad 1, which opened up a spot for Oakland's return to Quad 2. However, when Jefferson Co. gets reintroduced to the mix - which they are now - it's back to the same situation as following week 8, and I'm assuming the TSSAA will stay consistent. Of course, they have made no geographical rules and it's even a stretch to say they have guidelines, so when it comes to grouping teams into quads, no one can hold them accountable - they do as they please.

I hope that answers your question. The East bracket I've posted is based on previous forecasts by the TSSAA. I can't, however, answer for the TSSAA when it comes to why they have previously gone with those groupings.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I noticed the same trend about Siegel being the first to go west every week when there was a change. Still does not make sense. It really should be Oakland then Siegel to Quad 2 before Riverdale even... as Oakland and siegel are further East than Riverdale.

On the Quad 1 side, OR seems to be the first to go to quad 2 when quad 1 fills up (which makes sense as they are the furthest west), but they do not follow same logic when Quad 2 fills up. and... now that I am thinking about it, Harden Valley should be the next to go to quad 2 from quad 1 instead of Farragut as they are further west than Farragut. If you use the logic of who is closer to interstate, then Farragut and Harden Valley should go to quad 2 before OR. Go figure??? They need to state a hard and fast rule other than setting trends as the weeks move along!

Edited by BigOldFan