District 10A

McEwenAlumni

WHH is a really good team. They proved that last night, but in my eyes, McEwen is still the favorite. I know it's hard to say that after last night but McEwen played terrible. Our best three point shooter was 0-5. We missed 10+ free throws. (unlike this team) And if it wasn't for Mullinicks fouling out midway through the 4th, McEwen would have still probably won. WHH couldn't guard him and he was chipping away the entire game at their once, 16 point lead. It got cut to 2 and they called the 4th charge of the game on him. McEwen as a whole, just wasn't in the game last night. If we play like that against them again, then we will get beat again, but if we play like we are capable, they won't beat us. That's just my opinion. McEwen has the best player and team from top to bottom. I'll be looking forward to the district championship, and for both McEwen and WHH to major damage through the regional tournament.

HOW IN THE WORLD DID MCEWEN'S TOP THREE PLAYERS FOUL OUT OF ONE GAME? WAS THE OFFICIATING TERRIBLE?

Garrett Mullinicks had 4 charges as fouls I do believe. Unfortunately. It was all acting by WHH's point and bad acting at that. Idk how they believed it, but then again they also didn't call the foul when McEwen fouled on purpose to stop the clock. McEwen had to basically tackle a WHH player to get the ref to call a foul & stop the clock. McEwen tried running at them and grabbing them or pulling their jerseys and the refs let us. Patrick got called his 5th when he and a team mate tried to stop the clock. They called it on him and not his team mate. Blain was last to foul out...I'm not sure how his happened. My nerves done got the best of me by then.

Garrett Mullinicks had 4 charges as fouls I do believe. Unfortunately. It was all acting by WHH's point and bad acting at that. Idk how they believed it, but then again they also didn't call the foul when McEwen fouled on purpose to stop the clock. McEwen had to basically tackle a WHH player to get the ref to call a foul & stop the clock. McEwen tried running at them and grabbing them or pulling their jerseys and the refs let us. Patrick got called his 5th when he and a team mate tried to stop the clock. They called it on him and not his team mate. Blain was last to foul out...I'm not sure how his happened. My nerves done got the best of me by then.

Now - let's look at this objectively. First - if you are dribbling the ball, you can't clear out with your forearm or duck your shoulder and dribble into a defender. Some of the charges were legit. Garrett was called from some reach-ins too, as he was going for steals. Now, the last charge was questionable, and it could have gone either way depending on your vantage point. For what it is worth - I thought it was a block.

In regards to fouls, WHH lost their 2 best players as well, both big men... and were left playing with a freshman big man. Let's also remember that the first 6 fouls of the game were called on WHH, and they also received 2 Ts. If you want to talk about acting, there is 1 certain McEwen player that put on a show, and anyone at the game knows who this refers to. He was allowed to get away with a lot, including slapping the floor and kicking the scorers table while throwing a fit. This happened to be the same player involved in the Reid tackle play. His huffing and puffing got him taken out of the game, and he looked like he was going to blow the proverbial gasket during other times of the game.

In the end, there were bad calls on both sides. Touch fouls were called at times, when contact reminiscent of a football game was allowed to happen. Things have a way of evening out in most cases though, and it happened in this game as both teams were deep into their bench in OT. Let's also keep in mind that McEwen had to hit a long range, running and contested 3 just to get into OT. That shot is missed 99% of the time.

With all this being said. McEwen is still the most complete team in the district from top to bottom. Guard play is strong, and it will carry ya'll far. McEwen is still the team to beat in the region.

Edited by mercury728

Now - let's look at this objectively. First - if you are dribbling the ball, you can't clear out with your forearm or duck your shoulder and dribble into a defender. Some of the charges were legit. Garrett was called from some reach-ins too, as he was going for steals. Now, the last charge was questionable, and it could have gone either way depending on your vantage point. For what it is worth - I thought it was a block.

In regards to fouls, WHH lost their 2 best players as well, both big men... and were left playing with a freshman big man. Let's also remember that the first 6 fouls of the game were called on WHH, and they also received 2 Ts. If you want to talk about acting, there is 1 certain McEwen player that put on a show, and anyone at the game knows who this refers to. He was allowed to get away with a lot, including slapping the floor and kicking the scorers table while throwing a fit. This happened to be the same player involved in the Reid tackle play. His huffing and puffing got him taken out of the game, and he looked like he was going to blow the proverbial gasket during other times of the game.

In the end, there were bad calls on both sides. Touch fouls were called at times, when contact reminiscent of a football game was allowed to happen. Things have a way of evening out in most cases though, and it happened in this game as both teams were deep into their bench in OT. Let's also keep in mind that McEwen had to hit a long range, running and contested 3 just to get into OT. That shot is missed 99% of the time.

With all this being said. McEwen is still the most complete team in the district from top to bottom. Guard play is strong, and it will carry ya'll far. McEwen is still the team to beat in the region.

I'm from McEwen and I can admit that your post is dead on. I did think two of Garretts charges were bogus, including the last one, but that wouldnt have mattered if McEwen wouldn't have shot so poorly throughout the game. The inevitable rematch will be a great game to see.

I agree on the ducking with the shoulder but I know 2 for sure should have been blocks. And yes, two of WHH's players got fouled out but one did so in over time. Trust me, I know the refs weren't great on either side. But there towards the end it seemed they took WHH's side. However, I don't think the refs should be blamed for the loss. Our boys missed plenty of free throws and our scorers just couldn't hit anything. And you are right, everyone knows the player you are talking about, and I agree with you. He did take things to the extreme, but (and not saying this makes it ok) he came into the game angry from last time we met WHH. As well, WHH's coach grabbed his arm and told him he needed to quit playing dirty, or something along those lines. Again, that does not make it ok, but I think that's the reason he played like that. WHH has a great team. They will be tough to beat come tournament time and I look forward to that game. I just hope this time, anger is left aside and basketball is all that's on the floor. And hopefully good refs, for the sake of both sides.

I agree on the ducking with the shoulder but I know 2 for sure should have been blocks. And yes, two of WHH's players got fouled out but one did so in over time. Trust me, I know the refs weren't great on either side. But there towards the end it seemed they took WHH's side. However, I don't think the refs should be blamed for the loss. Our boys missed plenty of free throws and our scorers just couldn't hit anything. And you are right, everyone knows the player you are talking about, and I agree with you. He did take things to the extreme, but (and not saying this makes it ok) he came into the game angry from last time we met WHH. As well, WHH's coach grabbed his arm and told him he needed to quit playing dirty, or something along those lines. Again, that does not make it ok, but I think that's the reason he played like that. WHH has a great team. They will be tough to beat come tournament time and I look forward to that game. I just hope this time, anger is left aside and basketball is all that's on the floor. And hopefully good refs, for the sake of both sides.

You're hoping for too much... cause there are no good refs in our region. :D

Let me just say that it is nice to have a balanced discussion with opposing fans. Too many on this board wear rose-colored glasses; their team can do no wrong and it is all the ref's fault.

Wrapping up this game, the complexity changed tremendously when Ray got his 2nd foul... sending him to the bench. Till that point, WHH was scoring down low, plus getting their fair share of boards and 2nd chance points. With the McEwen D having to sag back to protect the paint, WHH was able to have some good inside-out play, with their guards hitting some 3s.... riding off the emotions of the game. Ray's departure allowed McEwen to concentrate more on Bedwell. With more help D, Bedwell was slowed a bit, and the guard's shots weren't falling. McEwen begin winning the boards at that point, and WHH misses resulted in one and dones. WHH took some poor shots, and they committed some silly TOs as they tried to force passes. You could feel the momentum slowly turning as the lead was gradually chipped away, thanks in large parts to GM's drives to the rim. He attacked all night, and WHH was slow to help on D by closing down the lane once the first defender was beaten off the dribble.

GM is why McEwen would win 7 out of 10 times these 2 teams play. You have to have smart guard play, by a solid ball handler who can break down a D with penetration, leading to a layup or a nice dump down low.

WHH is still developing that aspect of their team, with their PG being a SOPH. WHH is dependent on their bigs, and if those guys can not keep themselves out of foul trouble, it will be a short post season for us.

You're hoping for too much... cause there are no good refs in our region. :D

Let me just say that it is nice to have a balanced discussion with opposing fans. Too many on this board wear rose-colored glasses; their team can do no wrong and it is all the ref's fault.

Wrapping up this game, the complexity changed tremendously when Ray got his 2nd foul... sending him to the bench. Till that point, WHH was scoring down low, plus getting their fair share of boards and 2nd chance points. With the McEwen D having to sag back to protect the paint, WHH was able to have some good inside-out play, with their guards hitting some 3s.... riding off the emotions of the game. Ray's departure allowed McEwen to concentrate more on Bedwell. With more help D, Bedwell was slowed a bit, and the guard's shots weren't falling. McEwen begin winning the boards at that point, and WHH misses resulted in one and dones. WHH took some poor shots, and they committed some silly TOs as they tried to force passes. You could feel the momentum slowly turning as the lead was gradually chipped away, thanks in large parts to GM's drives to the rim. He attacked all night, and WHH was slow to help on D by closing down the lane once the first defender was beaten off the dribble.

GM is why McEwen would win 7 out of 10 times these 2 teams play. You have to have smart guard play, by a solid ball handler who can break down a D with penetration, leading to a layup or a nice dump down low.

WHH is still developing that aspect of their team, with their PG being a SOPH. WHH is dependent on their bigs, and if those guys can not keep themselves out of foul trouble, it will be a short post season for us.

Well, I will rephrase that to I hope the McEwen vs. WHH game gets the best refs available lol. I know what you mean with the whole "my team can do no wrong" on here. I know everyone wants to cheer their team on and back them up, but you have to admit when they didn't play too great and make mistakes. That doesn't make a team bad, everyone is bound to have bad nights sooner or later. On another note, I agree with what you gave about the game 100%. As for the future of WHH, I'm not too educated in your players' grade levels. I think with your point being a sophomore, that will help a lot in the next two years. Especially if he builds on what he's good at and works on his weaker areas. Is WHH bringing any other starters back?

Well, I will rephrase that to I hope the McEwen vs. WHH game gets the best refs available lol. I know what you mean with the whole "my team can do no wrong" on here. I know everyone wants to cheer their team on and back them up, but you have to admit when they didn't play too great and make mistakes. That doesn't make a team bad, everyone is bound to have bad nights sooner or later. On another note, I agree with what you gave about the game 100%. As for the future of WHH, I'm not too educated in your players' grade levels. I think with your point being a sophomore, that will help a lot in the next two years. Especially if he builds on what he's good at and works on his weaker areas. Is WHH bringing any other starters back?

Though maybe not big factors heritage returns Rippy and Reid and they return key big man Evan Allison and back pg who should be playing Devin Wright

Though maybe not big factors heritage returns Rippy and Reid and they return key big man Evan Allison and back pg who should be playing Devin Wright

It's good to hear y'all are returning experienced players. I would definitely like to see WHH and McEwen play next year. I'm not quite sure what to expect of the district after this season... I'm sure it's going to be interesting.

It's good to hear y'all are returning experienced players. I would definitely like to see WHH and McEwen play next year. I'm not quite sure what to expect of the district after this season... I'm sure it's going to be interesting.

Yes agreed. I personally think WHH may be better than people are thinking. Because they will play as more of a team instead of just giving the ball to Bedwell and relying on him.