Tri-County seven

THE KING

Oh Sparky you are just taking your coachs' tact in attacking these young girls' hearts. For those of you that dont get the Eliz paper, The great Lenn Dugger called out his girls after their loss to Greenville wednesday saying they were not playing with heart and not tough enough (except for the freshman who he put on a pedestal) Shame on you.

Did you see the game today? I doubt it (or any of them for that matter). There is no attack from me. I just call them like I see them. The Betsy girls were out hustled today and that has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with desire. Anyone that knows basketball can see after watching them play that this team has potential. However, this potential will not be realized without more consistent effort from everyone and someone stepping up and becoming a leader. It appears as though the upperclassmen are waiting for the freshman to take that leadership role and, as good as she is, she is not ready for that. This is just an honest critique of the situation from me after watching two games. So there's no shame on me. Besides, for you to even comment on this post, or the subject for that matter, is about as hypocritical as it gets. You don't have a dog in the hunt other than being a Dugger hater and EHS basher so shame on you. You should probably stick to reading that critically acclaimed Elizabethton newspaper. Or better still, why don't you start a "Unicoi County is the greatest" thread somewhere and post your predictable BS there???

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on the Lady Highlanders win. Lady cyclones are much better than I previously thought but I still think the Landers would be 10 points better on most nights. You've got to remember how young the Lady Landers are as well with 4 sophomores and a junior. And limestone, you need to take your coach bashing and drama somewhere else. Lets talk about the games. District 1A is pretty tough, eh? :)

Congrats on the Lady Highlanders win. Lady cyclones are much better than I previously thought but I still think the Landers would be 10 points better on most nights. You've got to remember how young the Lady Landers are as well with 4 sophomores and a junior. And limestone, you need to take your coach bashing and drama somewhere else. Lets talk about the games. District 1A is pretty tough, eh? :)

The Lady Landers are really talented and will be a force to be reckoned with for the next few years, especially in 1A. I was especially impressed with #21 (I think her name is Clark). Obviously there are other good players as well, but she stood out to me last night. The way the Lady Clones are playing right now, I think your assessment is fair. However, if these Betsy girls can re-establish the level of play they exhibited during the late summer camp season, then the story would be quite different and possibly swing the other way by about the same amount. The season is early so time will tell how each team progresses. Good luck the rest of the way.

The Lady Landers are really talented and will be a force to be reckoned with for the next few years, especially in 1A. I was especially impressed with #21 (I think her name is Clark). Obviously there are other good players as well, but she stood out to me last night. The way the Lady Clones are playing right now, I think your assessment is fair. However, if these Betsy girls can re-establish the level of play they exhibited during the late summer camp season, then the story would be quite different and possibly swing the other way by about the same amount. The season is early so time will tell how each team progresses. Good luck the rest of the way.

Thanks for the props sparky. I didn't think betsy would be as good as they are this year, but they still have a legitamate shot at winning the 3 rivers this year. I hope they do. Clark is really good. I knew from the time she was playing elementary ball she would be a special player for us. Rhodes is a great addition to our team but lets not forget this group of girls won 20 games last year before she came. TEAM. :thumb:

Could this be Eliz. future

Entire team forced to suspend season due to ineligible player

By Jonathan Wall

The high school basketball season has only been going on for a month (at most), and already one team has been forced to put a halt to its season. The girls basketball team at Hattiesburg (Miss.) High School was only three games into the season when the Mississippi HIgh School Activities Association ruled the team had to stop playing.

As the Hattiesburg American reported, the team had to cancel a game against Columbia (Miss.) High School, after Mississippi High School Activities Association ruled that Hattiesburg guard Tiaria Griffin should have been ineligible to play this season.

The MHSAA has consistently ruled Griffin ineligible, saying that she transferred from Lawrence County to Hattiesburg High because of athletic reasons and that a court injunction filed by Griffin's family on Sept. 30 expired after 10 days.

This isn't the first time a player has been ruled ineligible by an athletic association. It is, however, the first time an athletic association has stepped in and put a season on hold due to the eligibility issues surrounding one player.

As the Hattiesburg American reported, the MHSAA ruled Griffin had moved to Hattiesburg, from Lawrence County (Miss.) High, for athletic reasons. Because she had lived in the Hattiesburg district for less than 60 days, she was supposed to be ineligible to play for the team.

Thanks for the props sparky. I didn't think betsy would be as good as they are this year, but they still have a legitamate shot at winning the 3 rivers this year. I hope they do. Clark is really good. I knew from the time she was playing elementary ball she would be a special player for us. Rhodes is a great addition to our team but lets not forget this group of girls won 20 games last year before she came. TEAM. :thumb:

How did Rhodes chose Cloudland over betsy with all that betsy offers Pun intended!

How did Rhodes chose Cloudland over betsy with all that betsy offers Pun intended!

I don't know why but I'm glad she came. :) You're not another troll are you? :| I know there were a fair share of them on here last year. Jealousy is a bad thing. Elizabethton is the queen city of Carter county. A lot of kids prefer to go there. Little Powell left Cloudland to go there. The girl from HV. Who cares? They had a great team last year, because the girls loved basketball and they worked hard at it. Some of you people act like the players and parents are getting lucrative offers to play there when the city and the county are flat broke. :?

Sparky, I didnt mean shame on you, I meant shame on Dugger for calling those kids out in the paper.

And no I didnt see their games at HV. I did watch them a couple times this summer and Eliz has talent, but is young. They will be fine come Feb, unless Dugger destroys their confidence by putting too much pressure on them.

Did the freshman not play against the Landers? I notice she didnt make the box score. What's the deal?

And KING, this is a tri-county thread not a Lander/Ehs thread.

Blue Devils are looking pretty good so far. Quietly going about building a team. Will see how far they have come in about 10 days.

Sparky, I didnt mean shame on you, I meant shame on Dugger for calling those kids out in the paper.

And no I didnt see their games at HV. I did watch them a couple times this summer and Eliz has talent, but is young. They will be fine come Feb, unless Dugger destroys their confidence by putting too much pressure on them.

Did the freshman not play against the Landers? I notice she didnt make the box score. What's the deal?

And KING, this is a tri-county thread not a Lander/Ehs thread.

Blue Devils are looking pretty good so far. Quietly going about building a team. Will see how far they have come in about 10 days.

I would say Elizabethton is more inexperienced than young. Like I've said before, 5 junior starters is not young in my book. I'm not that familiar with all the Tri-County teams, but actually Unicoi and Betsy may have the most senior players of them all. I know Cloudland, Unaka and HV are young. Hampton probably has a decent mix of youth and experience. I have to admit I don't know anything about Johnson County's roster.

The freshman did play most of the game against Cloudland but I don't think she scored. She missed several open looks just as did all the others. I'd say the Lady Clones were lucky if they shot 30% from the field for the game. They couldn't buy an outside shot. I think they finally hit 2 threes late to tie the score and force OT.

Thanks for the reply Sparky. Eliz's five juniors, other than DeMoss, have little real game experience. DePew played a little last year but mostly her time and the other juniors time was in mop up roles. So they are adjusting to being starters and having to grind it out for 32 minutes. I just dont think coach did his team or himself any favors by calling them out in the newspaper.

As for Unicoi we get CD and Eliz. in the next week or so which should show where we are. CD is pretty good this year, they beat North Greene. And its been awhile since Unicoi beat EHS.

Thanks for the reply Sparky. Eliz's five juniors, other than DeMoss, have little real game experience. DePew played a little last year but mostly her time and the other juniors time was in mop up roles. So they are adjusting to being starters and having to grind it out for 32 minutes. I just dont think coach did his team or himself any favors by calling them out in the newspaper.

As for Unicoi we get CD and Eliz. in the next week or so which should show where we are. CD is pretty good this year, they beat North Greene. And its been awhile since Unicoi beat EHS.

Your being nice, now. Thats all that matters. :flower::)