BLACKMAN

RiddleMeThis

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blackman had its Night of Champions weight lifting event last night. Really good to see the boys making gains in the weight room. Can't wait for spring practice and see the lifting pay off. :popcorneater:

I will say this, I don't know who's teaching the squat class, but that guy needs to find another gig. I have never seen so many examples poor technique, soo many kids bailing out. If you can't do the rep correctly you have TOO MUCH WEIGHT ON THE BAR!!!!!!!

Oh it's all funny till somebody blows a knee or cracks a back. :popcorneater:

Edited by mykidsdad

I will say this, I don't know who's teaching the squat class, but that guy needs to find another gig. I have never seen so many examples poor technique, soo many kids bailing out. If you can't do the rep correctly you have TOO MUCH WEIGHT ON THE BAR!!!!!!!

Oh it's all funny till somebody blows a knee or cracks a back. :popcorneater:

True, but it's also natural for 16 year old boys to want to try to impress or "show out" for the audience. They don't want to feel embarrassed if they don't do a certain #. I'd love to hear how some of the kids that are looking to be counted on did. Those are the ones that I would like to know.

True, but it's also natural for 16 year old boys to want to try to impress or "show out" for the audience. They don't want to feel embarrassed if they don't do a certain #. I'd love to hear how some of the kids that are looking to be counted on did. Those are the ones that I would like to know.

I thought overall we were ok. It's hard to judge having not spent time in the weight room with the kids. There were some standouts like KJ, JJ and Austin are all three big strong boys. Davenport, Mathers, Smotherman, Nodgrass, Baer all stood out in my mind. I know Smotherman squatted over twice his body weight which is very impressive. If I had to grade us out, overall I would give us a B+ to an A-.

But everyone know games aren't won in the weight room, they're won in TV sets. :popcorneater:

Just curious, how many players does BHS have that are benching 300 or more and also how many cleaning 250 or more?

Strength training is important not just for making them stronger during play on the field but it also curbs the injury bug.

Isn't Shad the one who does the weightroom? I know he was responsible for it when he was at Smyrna.

Just curious, how many players does BHS have that are benching 300 or more and also how many cleaning 250 or more?

Strength training is important not just for making them stronger during play on the field but it also curbs the injury bug.

Isn't Shad the one who does the weightroom? I know he was responsible for it when he was at Smyrna.

I would guess 10 to 15 on the 300lbs on the bench. Hang Cling, no idea. As for who's running the weight room, there is a not so fine line between unlocking the door and turning on the lights vs. teaching proper technique and monitoring what's truly going on with the kids. I would be intrested in knowing if the weight room gets the some amount of attention a the JV program....uh, yea we do that. :popcorneater:

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know how the scrimmage went?

Final was Blackman 5 Wilson Central 3. We got off to a little bit of a slow start and was actually down 2-0. I really was impressed with the upcoming Junior class. The rising Seniors, I expected to step and for the most part they did not disappoint. The D-line was very strong and really shut the triple option down as the scrimmage progressed. Looks like we need some work in the secondary but overall I would give the D a B+.

On the other side of the ball it looks like we will have a battle for the starting QB position. Both kids had some really good throws, the Smotherman kid is very athletic and the Williams kid has a very strong arm. Same goes for the running backs with about four kids that will compete for playing time. I will give the O a B+ as well. The rising Sophomore's had several kids make some big plays and it looks like the future has some players that want to play as well. Overall I would have to go with a B. We did a lot of goods things and really looked good as the scrimmage progressed.

Next Friday Buckhorn @ 7:00 at the InfernO. :popcorneater:

We Are Blackman! and we play in a frickin InfernO!

Edited by mykidsdad

You forgot to mention that Blackman scored the last three td's against Central's freshmen and jv squad. The actual score would have been Wilson central 3, Blackman 2.

Final was Blackman 5 Wilson Central 3. We got off to a little bit of a slow start and was actually down 2-0. I really was impressed with the upcoming Junior class. The rising Seniors, I expected to step and for the most part they did not disappoint. The D-line was very strong and really shut the triple option down as the scrimmage progressed. Looks like we need some work in the secondary but overall I would give the D a B+.

On the other side of the ball it looks like we will have a battle for the starting QB position. Both kids had some really good throws, the Smotherman kid is very athletic and the Williams kid has a very strong arm. Same goes for the running backs with about four kids that will compete for playing time. I will give the O a B+ as well. The rising Sophomore's had several kids make some big plays and it looks like the future has some players that want to play as well. Overall I would have to go with a B. We did a lot of goods things and really looked good as the scrimmage progressed.

Thanks MKD.

You forgot to mention that Blackman scored the last three td's against Central's freshmen and jv squad. The actual score would have been Wilson central 3, Blackman 2.

That's my bad. I thought it was against the band and the track team that failed to show up at the Region meet at Brentwood. By the way your Event Instruction Packet is still at the check-in station. :popcorneater: