State Dual Tournament

hoosierdad

A few observations from the state dual tournament this past weekend:

1.) Wrestling in a big venue makes it look like a small crowd when schools bring a large group of fans

2.) The passion Coach Phillips has for Cleveland wrestling is great

3.) Cleveland and Soddy Daisy put on a classic dual match for the finals

4.) Christian Brothers is the real deal. Father Ryan was not in the match. They fought hard but was not up to the Christian Brothers assault.

5.) Seeing Coach Phillips and Coach Henry embrace at the end of their dual match knowing that their teams left it on the match. What a scene.

6.) Watching the end of the Christian Brothers/Father Ryan match and Christian Brothers finally winning and seeing the 2 coaches sit together waiting for the awards presentation. What a great moment for the fans and the wrestlers to see that 2 bulls fighting for the title can sit down and be cordial. What a concept.

Great job by all 4 teams and great sportsmanship by all 4 teams.

This is what Wrestling is all about.

Congratulations to all!

Well there were other teams there. Let's also give a shout out to the kids from Chattanooga Central, Pigeon Forge, Hixson, and others. Those kids work just as hard, their coaches are just as passionate, and many of those kids will make some noise in the traditional state tournament next week.One of the greatest things about wrestling is that you don't have to be on one of the big name teams to have success. It was a great tournament all across the board.

Hey HD I agree there was great sportsmanship shown by all. And I believe fr Ryan was in that match. Wasn't it tied with 5 matches left? No doubt cbhs was the better team that nite. It makes me realize just how important it is where a match begins given the stronger/ weaker weights a team may have.

Interesting comment here. There are some duals where I think something as simple as the coin flip can decide the dual. In truly tight dual meets who has to show first at a given weight can completely ruin one team's strategy to shift weights under certain scenarios. The starting weight can effect momentum and when a team has to reveal their line-up shift as well.

That being said, I am not sure if the CBHS vs FR match was an indicator of one where the starting weight would have changed much of anything.

With 5 matches left Father Ryan actually had a three point lead (22-19). However, at that point they had been through the strength of their line-up and all weights left were weights where CBHS was favored. CBHS just a very tough dual match-up for Father Ryan, especially given the line-up shifts employed. I see the state traditional tournament being much closer with Baylor obviously right in that mix.