Region I AA

3rfan

Also, I never said they were head and shoulders above local teams, because I don't believe they are. They are, however, undefeated versus them.

By the way, my "team" is not even Grainger so I couldnt care less about your "unconditional" love for them.

You tell me you are rationale and challenge me to answer certain questions...I have done this. Now would you answer this: Do you really think that you have given Grainger REAL credit for their 31-2 season? Because honestly, you always throw in a "reason" why they have been successful.

Yes I do believe I have given them credit for their 31-2 season. I said that any team that wins 30+ games in a season deserves a great deal of credit. Also, to go undefeated in conference play is always commendable because of the inherent rivalries that usually exist. Such rivalries often result in the overall weaker team knocking off the better team occasionally. Regardless of how good a team is, it's difficult to avoid a letdown like that during the course of a season. Grainger was able to avoid letting that happen. Again, none of my comments were intended to diminish Grainger's success this season, but rather to offer an opinion based on the cummulative rationale already provided, that in spite of this commendable success I don't expect it to continue much further when stacked up against other teams in the state. Hopefully, I am wrong. Who knows what could happen if they get past substate? At that point all remaining teams are good, but the records aren't as meaningful. As an example, I played on a team that made it to the semis in AAA in high school. Going into the tournament our record was 30-6 and we were ranked 7th in the AP. Our first round opponent was 30-0 and ranked 1st in the AP. We won. Conversely, we were beaten in the semis by a Memphis team that had several losses and weren't even ranked if memory serves me. The same year Hampton boys had a .500 record going into the district tournament because they had played a grueling schedule including many AA and AAA teams. I believe they may have won out through the district, regional and substate and were barely beaten in the state championship game. Consequently, I think talent, match-ups, and the draw are more significant than records at this point in the post-season. But I digress - that's a different subject for a different time - now back on task. Kudos to Grainger for 31-2! Yipee! Awesome! Hooray! WhoooHooo! :thumb::thumb: Have I met an acceptable "credit" threshold yet? Now I know how Coachh feels when his dissenters gang up on him...LOL

Edited by etownsparky

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I do believe I have given them credit for their 31-2 season. I said that any team that wins 30+ games in a season deserves a great deal of credit. Also, to go undefeated in conference play is always commendable because of the inherent rivalries that usually exist. Such rivalries often result in the overall weaker team knocking off the better team occasionally. Regardless of how good a team is, it's difficult to avoid a letdown like that during the course of a season. Grainger was able to avoid letting that happen. Again, none of my comments were intended to diminish Grainger's success this season, but rather to offer an opinion based on the cummulative rationale already provided, that in spite of this commendable success I don't expect it to continue much further when stacked up against other teams in the state. Hopefully, I am wrong. Who knows what could happen if they get past substate? At that point all remaining teams are good, but the records aren't as meaningful. As an example, I played on a team that made it to the semis in AAA in high school. Going into the tournament our record was 30-6 and we were ranked 7th in the AP. Our first round opponent was 30-0 and ranked 1st in the AP. We won. Conversely, we were beaten in the semis by a Memphis team that had several losses and weren't even ranked if memory serves me. The same year Hampton boys had a .500 record going into the district tournament because they had played a grueling schedule including many AA and AAA teams. I believe they may have won out through the district, regional and substate and were barely beaten in the state championship game. Consequently, I think talent, match-ups, and the draw are more significant than records at this point in the post-season. But I digress - that's a different subject for a different time - now back on task. Kudos to Grainger for 31-2! Yipee! Awesome! Hooray! WhoooHooo! :thumb::thumb: Have I met an acceptable "credit" threshold yet? Now I know how Coachh feels when his dissenters gang up on him...LOL

Thought you were done talking about it several posts ago etown!

Yes, yes......it was me that made the comment about Grainger being in the weaker bracket in the Boone Christmas tournament. They were, so don't beat Sparky with that club. Grainger has had a nice season. The BRAC and TRC talent levels are both down this season over recent years, but it does not really matter now. It is hard to say how good the two Region 2 teams are, but Grainger should host a sub-state game and will likely make the 'Boro. That is a great accomplishment. I have watched three very talented Elizabethton teams make the trip in the last ten years. Each time they lost close heartbreaking games in the first round. The draw is a huge factor. If Grainger gets there, I hope they get a good draw. I always like to see Upper East Tennessee teams win at the state level.