Georgia HS Mercy Rule

ChattanoogaCannon

I had the opportunity yesterday to enforce the Georgia high school mercy rule:

• If a Team is 7 or More Goals Down at the Midpoint of the first half (20 or Less Minutes Played), the half will end and the Second Half will be 20 Minutes.
  • If a Team is 7 or More Goals down at Halftime, the second half will be 20 Minutes in Length.
  • If a team is 10 or More Goals Down in the Second Half, the game will be Terminated.

10 minutes into the 2nd half, a team went up 10-0. With a few quick whistles, the game was terminated. This rule is also the national high school federation rule. Does anyone know why Tennessee doesn't follow the national federation rule?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• If a Team is 7 or More Goals Down at the Midpoint of the first half (20 or Less Minutes Played), the half will end and the Second Half will be 20 Minutes.
  • If a Team is 7 or More Goals down at Halftime, the second half will be 20 Minutes in Length.
  • If a team is 10 or More Goals Down in the Second Half, the game will be Terminated.

10 minutes into the 2nd half, a team went up 10-0. With a few quick whistles, the game was terminated. This rule is also the national high school federation rule. Does anyone know why Tennessee doesn't follow the national federation rule?

Were there any parents/fans that went nuts when the whistle blew early ? Or are the fairly well educated in Georgia regarding the rule?

D

Were there any parents/fans that went nuts when the whistle blew early ? Or are the fairly well educated in Georgia regarding the rule?

D

I didn't hear any fuss. I think everyone on both sides was relieved the carnage was over. One parent did question me in the parking lot because he thought the score was 9-0. I assured him 10 goals were scored.

Because it would hurt scoring averages and therefore college scholarship opportunities..../

I really need to move on

Do You Really Want To Know?

Reason

#1 So select players can pad their stats? You know getting more than 6 "quality" goals in a 12-0 game is hard to do

#2 Have we sold all the hot dogs from the concession stand? The cheese isn't even melted yet for the nachos...the game can't be over

#3 Its all about the score, not who you play

#4 Did we have something else to do tonight?

#5 If the officials don't work for 40 minutes, do they still get paid for 80 minutes?

#6 We can't read?

#7 It depends, is this a public or private school game

#8 We may all need to hold hands and summon the uber ref, aka socref1

#9 Because in Tennessee, we have Coach T

Edited by Canesoverhere

Do You Really Want To Know?

Reason

#1 So select players can pad their stats? You know getting more than 6 "quality" goals in a 12-0 game is hard to do

#2 Have we sold all the hot dogs from the concession stand? The cheese isn't even melted yet for the nachos...the game can't be over

#3 Its all about the score, not who you play

#4 Did we have something else to do tonight?

#5 If the officials don't work for 40 minutes, do they still get paid for 80 minutes?

#6 We can't read?

#7 It depends, is this a public or private school game

#8 We may all need to hold hands and summon the uber ref, aka socref1

#9 Because in Tennessee, we have Coach T

I personally like reason #7...

Edited by BigG

I was hoping for something more profound for your 5,000th post.

Ha ha! Didn't even notice...

"I would like to thank the academy (Christian Academy that is) and all of those who made it possible to post 5000 (and 1)responses here on the boards. Most of which have gone the coach T wayside (both my responses and members) I wish I had a dollar for all the hours spent on these threads!

Go Warriors! Beat Notre Dame!"

That better, Cannon? :roflol:

"I would like to thank the academy (Christian Academy that is) and all of those who made it possible to post 5000 (and 1)responses here on the boards. Most of which have gone the coach T wayside (both my responses and members) I wish I had a dollar for all the hours spent on these threads!

you omitted "Go Canes!"

Nice speech. I had to wipe a tear. I missed that last part because the band cut you off for using too much time.