Bearettes and Wildcats...and Jet Mercy...Again

Ericblair

As the last fan was leaving and the lights being turned off from Jim Smitty Arena after the Bearettes one point sectional overtime loss, like others before him, head coach Jason Reuter was left reflecting on how painfully true was John Greenleaf Whittier when he said, “the saddest word or tongue or pen are these “it might have beenâ€. In perhaps his best coached game of the year, Reuter and his injured Bearettes battled a worthy and classy opponent in Lawrence County in a very well officiated game that felt more like a chess match than it did a basketball game. (Is there any way that this officiating crew can help train that Elvis bunch up at the Region 3 finals)

Having no days to prepare because of the weather and without a key starter, Reuter did a nice job changing up defenses and substitution patterns that created real problems for the methodical and well coached Wildcats and kept the game close. Yet, the harsh reality is that there are winners and losers and all but one team in basketball goes home to humble pie.

Perhaps of all the ifs, Reuters greatest if might be, “What if one of my starters and district MVP had not been on the receiving end of a life threatening career ending flagrant(according to the Chattanooga Times and Chattanoogan) cold cocked elbow at Cumberland County in the Region finals? Fortunately for other unsuspecting opponents, the Jets lagged and their season is now over after being down 46-5 in the first quarter. I know it does in the Region but does the mercy rule apply in sectionals too...two in a row if it does.

Reuter and these Bearettes have brought pride back to the girls program and its Seniors have left a shining example of what it means to represent something larger than yourself. And while its unfortnate that the injured Bearette missed out on a life opportunity, guilt will not be hers to bear.

The end is always painful but it is an elegant reminder of how great was the time and the relationships along the way. So good luck to the Wildcats in the State and thanks to this year’s Bearettes and coaches and most of all to its Seniors for your accomplishments, character and class. And while it may not feel so now, time will soon replace the present void and hurt with a great pride of having made a great tradition even better.

Edited by Ericblair
  • Upvote 1

flagrant and malicious Taylor Vaden (according to the Chattanooga Times and Chattanoogan)

Can you post a link to those stories Eric? I would like to read them myself. I have searched the stories I can find, and neither mentions flagrant nor malicious.

While everyone wishes the consequences to Miss Smith had been different, I can assure you that it was unintentional, and will not let Taylor's name be drug through the mud.

Can you post a link to those stories Eric? I would like to read them myself. I have searched the stories I can find, and neither mentions flagrant nor malicious.

While everyone wishes the consequences to Miss Smith had been different, I can assure you that it was unintentional, and will not let Taylor's name be drug through the mud.

CDL...see the below links...the Times gives the name, and the others mention cold cocked and flagrant which I believe carries pretty much the same sentiment. I did not intend to mischaracterize those collective sentiments and the blow was indeed career ending.

In an earlier post I had mentioned too that I did not believe that it was a flagrant situation becasue I did not have a great angle to it. But after reading the articles my curiosity was peaked so I vetted the game film and the blow was cetainly more aggresive that just a clear, and head high versus a taller player so I can understand the writers view here. If I've missed something factual here, please let me know.

http://www.clevelandbanner.com/view/full_story/17720058/article-Bradley-Bearettes-battle-to-region-championship-Physical-game-has-casualties?instance=main_article

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2012/3/2/220682/History-In-The-Making-Owls-Claim-3-AAA.aspx

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2012/mar/02/irked-bearettes-blast-lady-jets/?sportspreps

As the last fan was leaving and the lights being turned off from Jim Smitty Arena after the Bearettes one point sectional overtime loss, like others before him, head coach Jason Reuter was left reflecting on how painfully true was John Greenleaf Whittier when he said, “the saddest word or tongue or pen are these “it might have beenâ€. In perhaps his best coached game of the year, Reuter and his injured Bearettes battled a worthy and classy opponent in Lawrence County in a very well officiated game that felt more like a chess match than it did a basketball game. (Is there any way that this officiating crew can help train that Elvis bunch up at the Region 3 finals)

Having no days to prepare because of the weather and without a key starter, Reuter did a nice job changing up defenses and substitution patterns that created real problems for the methodical and well coached Wildcats and kept the game close. Yet, the harsh reality is that there are winners and losers and all but one team in basketball goes home to humble pie.

Perhaps of all the ifs, Reuters greatest if might be, “What if one of my starters and district MVP had not been on the receiving end of a life threatening career ending flagrant and malicious Taylor Vaden (according to the Chattanooga Times and Chattanoogan) cold cocked elbow at Cumberland County in the Region finals? Fortunately for other unsuspecting opponents, the Jets lagged and their season is now over after being down 46-5 in the first quarter. I know it does in the Region but does the mercy rule apply in sectionals too...two in a row if it does.

Reuter and these Bearettes have brought pride back to the girls program and its Seniors have left a shining example of what it means to represent something larger than yourself. And while its unfortnate that the injured Bearette missed out on a life opportunity, guilt will not be hers to bear.

The end is always painful but it is an elegant reminder of how great was the time and the relationships along the way. So good luck to the Wildcats in the State and thanks to this year’s Bearettes and coaches and most of all to its Seniors for your accomplishments, character and class. And while it may not feel so now, time will soon replace the present void and hurt with a great pride of having made a great tradition even better.

Taylor Vaden was this year's district player of the year in 6AAA. She has scored over 1000 points in her career as a Lady Jet. She is the Salutatorian for Cumberland County High School for 2012. She is a true christian athlete, a very hard worker, and one of the best kids that you could ever be around! There is absolutely no doubt that she would never intentionally injure anyone in a basketball contest. It was unfortunate that the injury occurred. Sometimes that happens in competitive sports.

Congrats on a great season to Bradley.

Congrats to the Lady Jets for a great season with their first year coaches.

The Lady Jets are not the only team that has been badly beaten by Riverdale this year. (Nationally Ranked #5 in the Powerade Fab 50 and #16 in the USA today Super 25) Of course most people on Coach T already know this.

CDL...see the below links...the Times gives the name, and the others mention cold cocked and flagrant which I believe carries pretty much the same sentiment. I did not intend to mischaracterize those collective sentiments

Just as I expected, the TFP nor Chattanoogan made any such statement.

So, the TFP gives Taylor's name (which we all knew), the Chattanoogan states "cold-cocked by a flying elbow" (which we all knew from the result), but then the Cleveland paper states "flagrant foul after a rebound".

You didn't mention the Cleveland paper in your original post (which just so happens is the only one of the three articles to make the leap to flagrant foul, even though its very next sentence states that there was no whistle). How can you have a flagrant foul without any foul being called?

You used the OPINION of the Cleveland writer to make the accusation that Taylor maliciously threw the elbow, and tried to use the links to the other two to support your claim. Your conclusion is false, and an apology is in order!

Just as I expected, the TFP nor Chattanoogan made any such statement.

So, the TFP gives Taylor's name (which we all knew), the Chattanoogan states "cold-cocked by a flying elbow" (which we all knew from the result), but then the Cleveland paper states "flagrant foul after a rebound".

You didn't mention the Cleveland paper in your original post (which just so happens is the only one of the three articles to make the leap to flagrant foul, even though its very next sentence states that there was no whistle). How can you have a flagrant foul without any foul being called?

You used the OPINION of the Cleveland writer to make the accusation that Taylor maliciously threw the elbow, and tried to use the links to the other two to support your claim. Your conclusion is false, and an apology is in order!

CDL...you are correct. An apology is indeed in order for malicious which judges intent was never used and I certainly did not intend nor am I in a position to judge intent here. So Taylor please accept this apology. I have since removed it and the name from the post as neither should have been included in the first place. By now I am sure that the two players have talked and moved on and perhaps it best we do so here as well. Again, CDL, thank you for your attention to this.