wv - rhea

wvstat14

Watched the game from 3-13-12 and I'm not completely up to date on who's hot and who's not yet on WV but I have a question about a coaching move by rhea's head coach. Here's the situation 2 outs bottom of 7th runners on 2nd & 3rd. Tie game 1-1. #3 batter up (I think) winning run on third. Outcome was walker valleys hitter singled up the middle for the game winner. Why didn't rhea intentionally walk to load the bases and face a hitter w/ an out at any base? Since that runner at first or second wouldn't have mattered. I understand not wanting to face a clean up hitter in that situation but still I was expecting the walk and it never happened. So i guess what I'm curious about is, was there a reason for not wanting to load the bases? Was the next hitter an all American that I need to keep an eye on? Is he wv's new "Brandon turner" (doubt it... no offense)

There are a few reasons why they didn't intentionally walk in that situation.

1. Some coaches look at that situation and want their pitcher to just focus on the batter. Those runners mean nothing if you get the batter out.

2. The coach may believe he has a better chance of getting the current batter out vs. the next hitter.

3. While an IBB sets up a force out at every base, it also guarantees the base runners will be in motion on any hit ball with 2 outs. For instance, lets say the batter hits a weak grounder to the 3rd base side of the field. With no runner on 1st, the guy at third might be hesitant to take off until he sees if the ball is through or if the throw is going to 1st...you don't want your baserunners running into an out. With the bases loaded, he is going on contact. So a weak grounder misplayed by the pitcher or at 3rd may load the bases with no one on 1st , but not cost you an automatic run which it would with the bases loaded.

Some coaches would always load the bases, some never would in that situation, and some go by gut feeling.