heritage high basketball thread

tennesseetarheel

What happened to the discussion on the hiring of Bill Duncan at Heritage High? The thread disappeared from my topics list.

LOL. Yes I was wondering the same thing! Some guy on here named Swipes was defending the Duncan hire because he played for him and said I should really check my Facts before spouting off at the mouth, i think is how he put it. So i laid the undeniable facts on him about coach Duncan and must have struck a nerve, because when I went back to check his response to my facts, the thread was gone! LOL. He's won allot of games but in the last few years he's getting the rep as being at the least un-loyal. Heritage is a beautiful place and its hard for them to compete for talent in the area. Hiring this journeyman only hampers Heritage's abaility to maintain their talent levels, IMO. If I were an eighth grader in Blount County, I sure wouldnt go there knowing Duncans recent one and done coaching History. I also said if he was such a good coach, and all these jobs were open in east TN, you have to think he applied for all of them and the only one to hire him is Heritage? Beautiful Area but dead end for coaches, Sorry. Also, I think 3 of the openings were filled with Middle School coaches. Even Elizabethton hired a MS coach, and thats in Duncans back yard. So I stand by my oppinion that this is a Terrible hire for Heritage. I would have went with a young guy to excite and reach these kids, and let them know he was going to be there a while. I guarentee Duncan jumps ship at the firts chance. Good coach, Terrible hire!

LOL. Yes I was wondering the same thing! Some guy on here named Swipes was defending the Duncan hire because he played for him and said I should really check my Facts before spouting off at the mouth, i think is how he put it. So i laid the undeniable facts on him about coach Duncan and must have struck a nerve, because when I went back to check his response to my facts, the thread was gone! LOL. He's won allot of games but in the last few years he's getting the rep as being at the least un-loyal. Heritage is a beautiful place and its hard for them to compete for talent in the area. Hiring this journeyman only hampers Heritage's abaility to maintain their talent levels, IMO. If I were an eighth grader in Blount County, I sure wouldnt go there knowing Duncans recent one and done coaching History. I also said if he was such a good coach, and all these jobs were open in east TN, you have to think he applied for all of them and the only one to hire him is Heritage? Beautiful Area but dead end for coaches, Sorry. Also, I think 3 of the openings were filled with Middle School coaches. Even Elizabethton hired a MS coach, and thats in Duncans back yard. So I stand by my oppinion that this is a Terrible hire for Heritage. I would have went with a young guy to excite and reach these kids, and let them know he was going to be there a while. I guarentee Duncan jumps ship at the firts chance. Good coach, Terrible hire!

When I came back to respond to your post the thread was gone so no i didn't say anything to get the thread shut down. I laid facts on you the post you responded too so you have yours and I have mine. I guess we will see how he does and how long he stays before we will know if its a good hire or not :thumb:

When I came back to respond to your post the thread was gone so no i didn't say anything to get the thread shut down. I laid facts on you the post you responded too so you have yours and I have mine. I guess we will see how he does and how long he stays before we will know if its a good hire or not :thumb:

Fair enough.

Fair enough.

I am from Portland and I will gaurantee you he is a good hire. I am unhappy because he is leaving us. Your community will need to prepare itself for someone who eats drinks and sleeps b-ball. Unfortunatley ours does not. Only the select few. If your MS coaches will get on board and work with him, you will be fine. Believe me he will make you competitive instantly. The improvements will be remarkable. And his sidline antics are worth the price of admission. He does it all to get the most out of his players. All in all I wanted to kick and scream when I found out of this, but truth is I can't blame anyone for heading closer to home and family. Good Luck.

I am from Portland and I will gaurantee you he is a good hire. I am unhappy because he is leaving us. Your community will need to prepare itself for someone who eats drinks and sleeps b-ball. Unfortunatley ours does not. Only the select few. If your MS coaches will get on board and work with him, you will be fine. Believe me he will make you competitive instantly. The improvements will be remarkable. And his sidline antics are worth the price of admission. He does it all to get the most out of his players. All in all I wanted to kick and scream when I found out of this, but truth is I can't blame anyone for heading closer to home and family. Good Luck.

Competitive is different from winning. This truly is one of the toughest districts in the state. If he wins more than 4 district games per year the next 3 years, he lucky.

I played for the man years ago and can honestly say that he is one of the best coaches that I know. I understand your point that he may jump ship if a better job opens in a year or two but Heritage is his back yard not Elizabethton. He grew up in Sevier and Cocke County and was very happy at both places. He is also at the twilight of his career so I think there is a good chance that he might stay, especially if the Heritage kids accept his coaching style. He is a very demanding coach. My opinion - good hire.

• 6 months later...

Competitive Instantly? Remarkable improvements? Sideline antics? There 0-5 and He got tossed in the first 2 minutes of the game Saturday. His YOUNG assistant almost coached them to their first win of season.

Time will tell. What were the scores? Who were you playing? By the way, age has nothing to do with it, carolina. If you think he can't coach you missed the last several years of basketball. I have no Idea what kind of talent Heritage has. But I do know what Portland had. I was at almost every game and they were more competitive against much better teams than in the last three years. Just telling ya'll what I saw for sure. Throw him back here if you don't want him.