AAA State Bracket

TheFactsOnly

Congrats to Brentwood...so sorry to bring this up and i'm probably going to get some heat for it, but if Brentwood lost in the district tourney, they didn't deserve to be there. Plain and simple...they never should have gone to states. Are they the best team in AAA? Maybe. But they didn't beat Knox Catholic who, too, was beaten in the district tourney and didn't get a chance to go to state. Had catholic gone to state, I think they would've beaten brentwood. For the first time, no one can say "shoulda, woulda, coulda" because Brentwood got to states based on a strange system and if they say that Catholic should have played well when it counted...well, Brentwood shoulda too. I'm sorry, but Bwood's championship...in my opinion, will have an astericks beside it...an astericks because they didn't beat the best team in the state...Catholic.

Is this Brentwood's fault? No. Is it their district's fault for awarding Brentwood an automatic bid to states? No. Is it TSSAA's fault? ABSOLUTELY!!!! It is flat out nonsense that TSSAA forces districts to make their own rules to figure out who gets to states and it is even worse that TSSAA has a warped playoff system. In Farragut, Bearden, Catholic, Maryville, West, Lenoir City's district, you have six teams that can compete at state EVERY SINGLE YEAR, but you have some districts that allow any team to get through OR even worse only have two teams that make up the district, so each team automatically gets a bid to regions anyway...(some memphis districts have this). The best teams deserve to get there. Why not give each districts 3 bids based on the regular season? If a district only has three teams, however, why not just give them one? Other states do this. Why not TN?!!

Again... congrats to Brentwood. They are state champs. It is not their fault that they couldn't play the best team in the state, and if I were Brentwood, I would be mad and WANT to play a team like Catholic. It is not their fault that many are going to say that they didn't deserve to be there. TSSAA must change or (like college football) we are going to continue to not have the best teams at the state tournament year after year after year and we are going to continue to deny the best teams their right to a championship.

you should really be quite and put on big boy/girl pants

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to Brentwood...so sorry to bring this up and i'm probably going to get some heat for it, but if Brentwood lost in the district tourney, they didn't deserve to be there. Plain and simple...they never should have gone to states. Are they the best team in AAA? Maybe. But they didn't beat Knox Catholic who, too, was beaten in the district tourney and didn't get a chance to go to state. Had catholic gone to state, I think they would've beaten brentwood. For the first time, no one can say "shoulda, woulda, coulda" because Brentwood got to states based on a strange system and if they say that Catholic should have played well when it counted...well, Brentwood shoulda too. I'm sorry, but Bwood's championship...in my opinion, will have an astericks beside it...an astericks because they didn't beat the best team in the state...Catholic.

Is this Brentwood's fault? No. Is it their district's fault for awarding Brentwood an automatic bid to states? No. Is it TSSAA's fault? ABSOLUTELY!!!! It is flat out nonsense that TSSAA forces districts to make their own rules to figure out who gets to states and it is even worse that TSSAA has a warped playoff system. In Farragut, Bearden, Catholic, Maryville, West, Lenoir City's district, you have six teams that can compete at state EVERY SINGLE YEAR, but you have some districts that allow any team to get through OR even worse only have two teams that make up the district, so each team automatically gets a bid to regions anyway...(some memphis districts have this). The best teams deserve to get there. Why not give each districts 3 bids based on the regular season? If a district only has three teams, however, why not just give them one? Other states do this. Why not TN?!!

Again... congrats to Brentwood. They are state champs. It is not their fault that they couldn't play the best team in the state, and if I were Brentwood, I would be mad and WANT to play a team like Catholic. It is not their fault that many are going to say that they didn't deserve to be there. TSSAA must change or (like college football) we are going to continue to not have the best teams at the state tournament year after year after year and we are going to continue to deny the best teams their right to a championship.

You've got a point. Some say they "did get it done on the field" but my question is, then why did they lose in the district tournament? (Which is what I believe is what happened, and why this is an issue). I believe they lost to Independence (11-7-1) in the district semi finals (which makes TheFactsOnly's argument about Catholic a bit moot).

Should they have been there? The answer is "yes" because of their district rules. Should those rules have been in place however, is the better question. I'm not sure why the TSSAA allows for each district to make their own rules. Maybe so that they don't have to regulate it. But it would make sense that for play offs, the rules are the same throughout each region.

But there are other districts that have automatic berths to regions, though this one is the first (that I know of) that isn't because of geography or size of the district.

We all know and agree - Shame on TSSAA - having different rules by District does not make sense. Hopefully, this will be addressed in the very near future.

However, to say "the best team in the AAA State" is from the DofD is ludicrous! Brentwood did not knock any of these teams out (because none of them won enough games to play Brentwood).

Let's assume no rules changed and Brentwood was knocked out in the District Semi-Final, the State Champion would have likely been among the following...

1. Collierville (lost to Brentwood in Final)

2. Riverdale (lost to Brentwood in Semi-Final)

3. Science Hill (lost to Brentwood in Quarter-Final)

4. Hendersonville (lost to Brentwood in Sectional)

5. Antioch (lost to Brentwood in Region Semi-Final)

6. Independence (was screwed by the rule change)

Your argument is reminiscent of the kid's argument "my daddy can whip your daddy". No one ever knows the answer because the dad's never do fight. No one can prove 2012 Knox Catholic is better than 2012 Brentwood (because they will not get to play).

Brentwood is the 2012 AAA State Champion. I don't like it, but it is a fact.

Edited by TheFactsOnly

I know I instigated this conversation back when I was corrected about Brentwood being out of the playoffs because of their new rules for this season and again I congratulate Brentwood as the boys certainly are a team worthy of the title. I think my biggest gripe is that any team in the district with an automatic berth should not play in the district tournament. For one thing we would not be having this conversation because then Brentwood never would have lost to Independence in the districts and a very good Independence team might have been more ready to take it to another very good Ravenwood team. If one team gets an automatic berth to regions then they should not play in the district tourney, period. I still think the rules should be the same for every district..nuff said.