Elizabethton Fire Bugs

wcdogs

Was watching a very good basketball game at Alcoa Camp, when all heck broke loose!

Elizabethton built a solid lead early and held it until Fulton made a furious comeback in the 4th qtr.

With just over 1 minute left Fulton led by 1. Eliz coach was T'd up for making ugly comments to the refs.

The other 2 bench coaches came off the bench and started to verbally assault the officals. The Eliz staff

was given a chance to cool down but they continued their attack. Needless to say,they were asked to leave.

The coaches refused to leave and threatened refs, tournament officals, and fans. After several tense moments

the team gathered in a back hallway shouting threats to all in the gym. As Elizabethton left they pulled the Fire Alarm. The gym had to be cleared for 20 minutes. Once everyone exited the Elizabethton assualt continued on any and all. I've seen plenty of these "fights" before, but have never seen a Fire Alarm pulled which could potentially endanger those in attendance. I wish I was a TSSAA offical, cause heads would roll.

Did see some good games today: Elizabethton looked good except for the incident. Grainger Co looked like they will be strong again. Seymour and Cocke Co also played well. Fulton is young and may be a year away(good coach).

Edited by wcdogs

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was watching a very good basketball game at Alcoa Camp, when all heck broke loose!

Elizabethton built a solid lead early and held it until Fulton made a furious comeback in the 4th qtr.

With just over 1 minute left Fulton led by 1. Eliz coach was T'd up for making ugly comments to the refs.

The other 2 bench coaches came off the bench and started to verbally assault the officals. The Eliz staff

was given a chance to cool down but they continued their attack. Needless to say,they were asked to leave.

The coaches refused to leave and threatened refs, tournament officals, and fans. After several tense moments

the team gathered in a back hallway shouting threats to all in the gym. As Elizabethton left they pulled the Fire Alarm. The gym had to be cleared for 20 minutes. Once everyone exited the Elizabethton assualt continued on any and all. I've seen plenty of these "fights" before, but have never seen a Fire Alarm pulled which could potentially endanger those in attendance. I wish I was a TSSAA offical, cause heads would roll.

Did see some good games today: Elizabethton looked good except for the incident. Grainger Co looked like they will be strong again. Seymour and Cocke Co also played well. Fulton is young and may be a year away(good coach).

All I can say is, "What a total fabrication!" The only truth in your first paragraph is "Elizabethton built a solid lead early and held it until Fulton made a furious comeback in the 4th qtr." The rest is a total misrepresentation. Elizabethton had their way with Fulton in the first half. The two homers (they don't have enough integrity to be called officials) that were watching (yes, just watching because they weren't calling anything - just lazily meandering from half-court to the end line) the game let entirely too much mugging/fouling go on in the first half. Apparently an EHS coach said something one of the homers didn't like just before half-time because they caucused before the start of the 3rd quarter and I saw one tell the other to T-up the first person from the EHS bench to say a word. It was obvious early in the second half the homers' intentions. They allowed Fulton to constantly mug EHS players during the entire second half until the end. I don't blame the Fulton players for the excessively rough play because, as a player, you learn to push it to the limits the officials will allow. In addition, there were numerous blatant uncalled traveling violations committed by Fulton in the second half. With EHS leading by 1 point (I believe we had just retaken the lead, but could be mistaken) with a little over 1 minute left in the game, the EHS point guard was fouled (tripped unintentionally) by a Fulton defender. In true predictable form, there was no call from either of the two homers masquerading as refs. An EHS assistant simply commented to the ref that she did not fall on her own (somehow I don't think that classifies as an "ugly comment"). The ref, I mean homer, immediately T'd him up. The EHS head coach was standing there and simply said something like "You know, he's right." The homer instantly T'd the head coach and continued to whistle and call T's as the head coach stood there (saying nothing at this point). After the "T" count got to 5 or 6, the coach simply instructed his players to leave the court and bench. Anyone that knows the EHS coaching staff knows there was something totally amiss for the head coach to take his team off the floor in this manner! There were some words exchanged between the coaches and refs after the team was already off the court and gathering their belongings, but I don't know what was said. There were no threats made to tournament officials to my knowledge! The EHS team and fans were not asked to leave either. The EHS folks were leaving of their own accord. These are total lies. As for the team pulling the fire alarm, that's a lie too. The team had totally vacated the gym and was gathering in the parking lot on the way to the bus when the fire alarm sounded. I know because I was in the tunnel about 20' from the door (where the fire alarm was located) talking to the Alcoa camp administrator when the alarm went off. I don't know who hit the alarm (if anyone), but I know for sure it wasn't an EHS player or coach unless there is an alarm trigger outside the gym! It is true there were words exchanged through the tunnel between some EHS folks (who were outside) and a couple of Fulton morons that were yelling accusations at the EHS girls. The beef EHS had was with the refs/homers, and no one else, until a few Fulton fans started yelling at everyone from EHS (players, coaches and fans). One lady from Fulton started yelling at me and declared that she was bipolar and I better not mess with her. I wish I had a video of that game and how the officials conducted themselves. It's apparently hard to get enough officials so the TSSAA is willing to tolerate any goobers that can pass the on-line test and buy a striped shirt at Foot Locker. Those guys belong down at the 'Y' calling senior citizen games, not calling high school basketball. Regardless of their ability (or lack thereof), it demonstrates a total lack of integrity from an official to show favor to one team over another because they don't like something a coach said to them (or for any reason for that matter). It was apparent to me the Alcoa camp administrator recognized there was a issue with these officials, but she was afraid to say anything for fear of future retaliation against her team (because apparently these bozos are local district refs). The whole incident is regrettable, but would not have occurred if not precipitated by the two imposters posing as officials during this game...

I realize there are always two sides to every story, but your account is not even close to accurate. I'm guessing you are from Fulton based on your post. I do agree with you on one thing: Grainger looked strong and deep during the one game I saw them play...

Edited by etownsparky

We had next game at the camp. I sat behind the Elizabethton bench and saw 1/2 of the 3rd Q and all of the 4th. Officiating was like an AAU tournament(no blood no foul).

Both teams had a right to complain, but Elizabethton took it too far. They also seemed frustrated that Fulton had come back from 20 points behind.

After all the hollering and name calling the team and coaches gathered in the tunnel leading to the exit. They were surrounding the pull alarm. The alarm sounded and they

left through the rear door. The fire panel monitor indicated that the station that was pulled was the one they were on. No doubt in my mind( I was 30ft away)and no doubt from all those near, that an Elizabethton player or coach pulled the alarm.

Hopefully they have a security camera in the tunnel which will confirm what those from Alcoa, Fulton, and Grainger saw.

good ol sparky and his orange colored glasse Elizabethton NEVER does wrong poor ol' betsy and spark calling people morons?? REALLY? Speaking of imposters how bout the guy posing a a JV 'coach', and i apologize to coaches everywhere but putting you all in the same category as him, and if you're going to call anyone a moron sparky he would be it any 'person' who repeatedly calls anyone, refs included, retarded is a TRUE MORON. glad the guy T'd him up in the JV game acyually should have tossed him. But hey he got seen and by the looks of it thats all he's there for. A for the Fulton game sparky you've seen enough camp games alot doesn't get called but you play through it if you and your staff are disciplined. I didn't see alot of discipline last year and looks no different this year. EHS was a laughing stock last year with all the moves by the administration and doesn't look like they're doing anything to erase that image. The coaches antics at the camp were an embarrassment and they say your team takes on the personality of your coaches. Would like to see ECS officials look into this but that'd be a joke. A blind eye is always turned when certain coaches are involved. Any way hope both teams AND fans learn something from this embarrassing event for both sides but i highly doubt it.

Was this not a summer camp practice game? They tend to get physical all over the state. I suppose the whole game was physical. Elizabethton has had a good program for several years and have been known for their strength and aggressive, physical play. Neither Elizabethton nor Fulton are in the same district as Alcoa and Alcoa and Fulton are rivals comparable to Elizabethton and Hampton so I don't see a reason for there to be "homers". I'm sure the fans from both teams would have a different take on the events of this scrimmage. Learn from it. Suck it up and move on!

We had next game at the camp. I sat behind the Elizabethton bench and saw 1/2 of the 3rd Q and all of the 4th. Officiating was like an AAU tournament(no blood no foul).

Both teams had a right to complain, but Elizabethton took it too far. They also seemed frustrated that Fulton had come back from 20 points behind.

After all the hollering and name calling the team and coaches gathered in the tunnel leading to the exit. They were surrounding the pull alarm. The alarm sounded and they

left through the rear door. The fire panel monitor indicated that the station that was pulled was the one they were on. No doubt in my mind( I was 30ft away)and no doubt from all those near, that an Elizabethton player or coach pulled the alarm.

Hopefully they have a security camera in the tunnel which will confirm what those from Alcoa, Fulton, and Grainger saw.

From your description, you were still inside the gym when the alarm sounded. I was inside the tunnel on the way out when the alarm sounded and there's no doubt the EHS team was already outside at that time as were the coaches except the head coach who was right behind me (no where near the alarm). Ask the Alcoa admin that was beside me in the tunnel when the alarm sounded where the EHS players were. I'm not sure how anyone from Fulton or Grainger can say they saw anything at the end of the tunnel as they were not in a position to do so at the time. There were a few Alcoa players near the entrance to the tunnel at the time.

I will say this, I saw Elizabethton play at the Bearden Summer Camp and their Assistant Coach is beyond ridiculous when it comes to the officials! He was totally out of line in multiple CAMP GAMES saying rude things to the officials during the entire JV game and even during the Varsity game. I won't speak to the way he treated his players which was just slightly better than the officials. I wan't at Alcoa, however this seems to be a trend and the admin should take notice.

good ol sparky and his orange colored glasse Elizabethton NEVER does wrong poor ol' betsy and spark calling people morons?? REALLY? Speaking of imposters how bout the guy posing a a JV 'coach', and i apologize to coaches everywhere but putting you all in the same category as him, and if you're going to call anyone a moron sparky he would be it any 'person' who repeatedly calls anyone, refs included, retarded is a TRUE MORON. glad the guy T'd him up in the JV game acyually should have tossed him. But hey he got seen and by the looks of it thats all he's there for. A for the Fulton game sparky you've seen enough camp games alot doesn't get called but you play through it if you and your staff are disciplined. I didn't see alot of discipline last year and looks no different this year. EHS was a laughing stock last year with all the moves by the administration and doesn't look like they're doing anything to erase that image. The coaches antics at the camp were an embarrassment and they say your team takes on the personality of your coaches. Would like to see ECS officials look into this but that'd be a joke. A blind eye is always turned when certain coaches are involved. Any way hope both teams AND fans learn something from this embarrassing event for both sides but i highly doubt it.

Actually I wasn't wearing any glasses at the time and I saw perfectly what happened. I don't use the word lightly but there were two specific Fulton fans to whom I am applying the "moron" tag. These two initiated separate verbal assaults on folks from EHS (1st a woman on EHS fans and 2nd a man on the team and coaches outside the gym). No one had a beef with Fulton until those two started. They earned the title.

As for your comments about the JV coach, I don't know to what you are referring. Was this something that happened on a different day? No matter, you appear to posting based hearsay and not eye-witness account. Consequently, I take your comments with a grain of salt. I've seen plenty of team camp and AAU games and I know not much is called. However, decent officigain all enough to maintain control. The game more closely resembled a rugby match than a basketball game. The refs'actions in the second half were largely deliberate and with motive. They were looking for a reason to call a 'T' and precipitated the whole sebacle. Despite what you post, I believe our coaching staff stacks up with anyone's and I'm thankful to have them. You sound like someone that has an axe to grind. Go ahead and grind away because I'm done with this post. I know what I saw...

All I can say is, "What a total fabrication!" The only truth in your first paragraph is "Elizabethton built a solid lead early and held it until Fulton made a furious comeback in the 4th qtr." The rest is a total misrepresentation. Elizabethton had their way with Fulton in the first half. The two homers (they don't have enough integrity to be called officials) that were watching (yes, just watching because they weren't calling anything - just lazily meandering from half-court to the end line) the game let entirely too much mugging/fouling go on in the first half. Apparently an EHS coach said something one of the homers didn't like just before half-time because they caucused before the start of the 3rd quarter and I saw one tell the other to T-up the first person from the EHS bench to say a word. It was obvious early in the second half the homers' intentions. They allowed Fulton to constantly mug EHS players during the entire second half until the end. I don't blame the Fulton players for the excessively rough play because, as a player, you learn to push it to the limits the officials will allow. In addition, there were numerous blatant uncalled traveling violations committed by Fulton in the second half. With EHS leading by 1 point (I believe we had just retaken the lead, but could be mistaken) with a little over 1 minute left in the game, the EHS point guard was fouled (tripped unintentionally) by a Fulton defender. In true predictable form, there was no call from either of the two homers masquerading as refs. An EHS assistant simply commented to the ref that she did not fall on her own (somehow I don't think that classifies as an "ugly comment"). The ref, I mean homer, immediately T'd him up. The EHS head coach was standing there and simply said something like "You know, he's right." The homer instantly T'd the head coach and continued to whistle and call T's as the head coach stood there (saying nothing at this point). After the "T" count got to 5 or 6, the coach simply instructed his players to leave the court and bench. Anyone that knows the EHS coaching staff knows there was something totally amiss for the head coach to take his team off the floor in this manner! There were some words exchanged between the coaches and refs after the team was already off the court and gathering their belongings, but I don't know what was said. There were no threats made to tournament officials to my knowledge! The EHS team and fans were not asked to leave either. The EHS folks were leaving of their own accord. These are total lies. As for the team pulling the fire alarm, that's a lie too. The team had totally vacated the gym and was gathering in the parking lot on the way to the bus when the fire alarm sounded. I know because I was in the tunnel about 20' from the door (where the fire alarm was located) talking to the Alcoa camp administrator when the alarm went off. I don't know who hit the alarm (if anyone), but I know for sure it wasn't an EHS player or coach unless there is an alarm trigger outside the gym! It is true there were words exchanged through the tunnel between some EHS folks (who were outside) and a couple of Fulton morons that were yelling accusations at the EHS girls. The beef EHS had was with the refs/homers, and no one else, until a few Fulton fans started yelling at everyone from EHS (players, coaches and fans). One lady from Fulton started yelling at me and declared that she was bipolar and I better not mess with her. I wish I had a video of that game and how the officials conducted themselves. It's apparently hard to get enough officials so the TSSAA is willing to tolerate any goobers that can pass the on-line test and buy a striped shirt at Foot Locker. Those guys belong down at the 'Y' calling senior citizen games, not calling high school basketball. Regardless of their ability (or lack thereof), it demonstrates a total lack of integrity from an official to show favor to one team over another because they don't like something a coach said to them (or for any reason for that matter). It was apparent to me the Alcoa camp administrator recognized there was a issue with these officials, but she was afraid to say anything for fear of future retaliation against her team (because apparently these bozos are local district refs). The whole incident is regrettable, but would not have occurred if not precipitated by the two imposters posing as officials during this game...

I realize there are always two sides to every story, but your account is not even close to accurate. I'm guessing you are from Fulton based on your post. I do agree with you on one thing: Grainger looked strong and deep during the one game I saw them play...

By looking at your response it seems you've wrote an essay explaining why your school would feel it's OK to create a disgusting scene and pull a fire alarm. Refs are terrible they're causing us to lose so let's scream at everyone and pull a fire alarm. Since you probably spend most of your time defending Elizabethton players and coaches....maybe you can write an essay on how a fire alarm can be pulled with ~20 players & coaches from Elizabethton surrounding it; can magically go off without any of them not involved? Oh wait...

I bet it was those"bozo refs" !

By looking at other posts it seems this behavior is par for the course at Elizabethton.

Coaches and administrators....please think twice before inviting this bunch to your gym !

The officiating at camp games I've seen this year has been as bad as any I've seen, that's in some wins and some losses. One camp game, the lack of anything being called directly led to a player being injured (primary point guard who'd been averaging about 1 turnover per game despite the rough play, still out injured). Having college students or recent high school graduates officiating seems to be the big problem, coaches tend to keep things in control better for the most part though not always. The playday today had certified referees and I don't remember anything major at all, a walk, etc not called here and there is about it. That's when you know they did well, again in wins and losses both. All that said, some coaches seem to encourage players to go all out knowing they won't foul out especially when there is no 1-and-1. One camp game, one particular player had 16 fouls called on her, and that's with the clock running non-stop. Believe it or not, she did a lot more that wasn't called, and never seemed to be told by the coach to tone it down a little. Whenever the opponent would start any kind of play she'd just come in wild and hack or push, and the only result would be throwing the ball in out of bounds. That does neither team any good at all.

Edited by Indian