COVINGTON CHARGERS - 2012 EDITION

CHARGERFAN

So, Covington played FACS in last night's jamboree. Final - Covington 21, FACS 12.

Carlos Williams played last night, after missing most of last season with a shoulder injury. His role will apparently be different this year, as he played wideout on offense, rather than running back. With his speed and good hands, he will be a definite threat there, and should help keep defenses honest, rather than letting them key on Johnston White and our running game. Carlos caught a long pass on the first play last night, and he also returned kicks and punts and played some as a DB on defense.

The Charger offense looked pretty sharp, with White carrying the ball for several long runs. Offensively, the blockers were called for illegal blocks several times, but that was probably a first game thing that will get fixed easily.

On defense, the Chargers jumped offside a lot, particularly on the first scoring drive by FACS. Coach Wheeler wil need to work on that, but the film will help to solve that, too. FACS scored their second TD on a long pass play against us. I think there were some subs in on defense by then, but that will need to be corrected too.

All in all, as a Charger fan I was pretty happy with the effort. I am looking forward to meeting Bolton next Friday night.

Edited by CHARGERFAN

The Memphis Commericial Appeal lists Covington as #7 in their Dandy Dozen

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/aug/14/dandy-dozen-no-7-ground-game-fuels-covington/

It's a problem that would cause sleepless nights for any football coach, but for a defensive-minded guy like Covington's Marty Wheeler, it's particularly concerning.

"We did a poor job of tackling last season and that's something we've really been working on," he said. "We've worked on it constantly. Ultimately (poor tackling) was what cost us against Maplewood (in last year's Class 4A state semifinals).

"We have the athletes ... but we gave up more points than we'd like. We have to learn how to play with a sense of urgency on defense."

That 28-7 loss to Maplewood ended a terrific 2011 season for the Chargers one game short of the Blue Cross Bowl. If the Chargers, who open the season ranked seventh in the Dandy Dozen, are to make another deep playoff run, they'll have to avoid shootouts like last season's two games against Obion County (50-36 and 42-41)."If we're to get to where we reach our goals, we have to have a tough defense," said Wheeler, formerly the Chargers defensive coordinator. "We need to be solid in the fundamentals."

Didn't know if the Williams kid was playing for Covington or not. If he's there- it gives them another weapon on offense. the returning RB , Johnston White I believe is his name, is the real deal. He's legit and will play at the next level if he chooses. Covington will be tops in the area of rural West TN in 4A,

Id figure this would get more love considering the great year Covington had!!!!

Well, some folks predict an undefeated season and a state championship. I am more cautious. The Chargers pulled out some close games last year to advance to the semi-finals. You can play just as well but maybe one or two games go the other way this year, and then you make an early exit.

i have followed high school football too long to count those chicks before they hatch.

Edited by CHARGERFAN

Well, some folks predict an undefeated season and a state championship. I am more cautious. The Chargers pulled out some close games last year to advance to the semi-finals. You can play just as well but maybe one or two games go the other way this year, and then you make an early exit.

i have followed high school football too long to count those chicks before they hatch.