WarrenCounty vs Cookeville

peanut931

Warren County in the playoffs? Wasn't there some poster a few weeks ago blaming everybody from the local used car lot to the president of the United States for the "hopeless demise" of WCHS football?

Now they're in the hunt for a playoff spot? Was he one of those guys in the "Hoosiers" movie who hated the new coach?

WCHS made it to the playoffs one year with a losing record. If you are familiar with the program you know its woes.

The last time I saw Warren County play was in the 1970's and they were pretty good. I remeber they had a gigantic lineman doing their place-kicking which was different than most team you saw back then. Fast forward to 2012...it's not like most schools will have the Nashville t.v. stations sending a helicopter to their game to cover it like Siegel/Riverdale will probably have. It's not written in stone anywhere that every school in the state is entitled to have as good a program every year as the Riverdales of the world.

I am not sure about their current "woes" but Cookeville which was pretty good every year up until recently lost 56-0 last week. Lincoln County was an every year power for a long time. Now they are not...to put it tactfully. It happens. Smyrna won back to back gold balls in the largest classification a few years ago...now there is talk they could be winless this year, maybe one win at most.

Ask yourself this: are the kids provided a good opportunity if they want it? Are there plenty pads and helmets to go around? Does the school offer honors and a.p. classes to the kids who want them? Are there 30 or less kids in an averge classroom? Are there vocational options for the kids who want them?

If the answers are "yes" then the won-loss record is not the end of the world. Making the playoffs with a sub-.500 records is at least better than Sparta who got in with a 1-9 record a few years ago. On the other hand, if sports fans in McMinnville want to be upset with Chris Johnon and his 50millionDollars getting 4 yards on eleven totes or ut football with their 4 losing seasons in the last 7 years, that's fine. Those are big programs and they can take the heat. 14 to 17 year olds don't need to hear the moaning and crying over their W-L record. At least as long as they give it 100% effort out there on the field, what's the big deal?

I hope the Pioneers can come home with a win and no one on either team gets injured. After watching WC teams for the last few years one of the biggest (or smallest) problems is the size of their lineman. Don't get me wrong I appreciate everything the guys are doing but if you look at most other teams, linemen are at least 6'3" and aroung the 275 to 300lb range. The only kid WC has in that area is the Wannamaker kid. I have heard their offseason program has a lot of P90X kind of workouts which is fine, especially for skilled positions, but why not try something that adds some bulk to the big guys. I have always heard a good big man will beat a good little man every time.

Edited by peanut931

The last time I saw Warren County play was in the 1970's and they were pretty good. I remeber they had a gigantic lineman doing their place-kicking which was different than most team you saw back then. Fast forward to 2012...it's not like most schools will have the Nashville t.v. stations sending a helicopter to their game to cover it like Siegel/Riverdale will probably have. It's not written in stone anywhere that every school in the state is entitled to have as good a program every year as the Riverdales of the world.

I am not sure about their current "woes" but Cookeville which was pretty good every year up until recently lost 56-0 last week. Lincoln County was an every year power for a long time. Now they are not...to put it tactfully. It happens. Smyrna won back to back gold balls in the largest classification a few years ago...now there is talk they could be winless this year, maybe one win at most.

Ask yourself this: are the kids provided a good opportunity if they want it? Are there plenty pads and helmets to go around? Does the school offer honors and a.p. classes to the kids who want them? Are there 30 or less kids in an averge classroom? Are there vocational options for the kids who want them?

If the answers are "yes" then the won-loss record is not the end of the world. Making the playoffs with a sub-.500 records is at least better than Sparta who got in with a 1-9 record a few years ago. On the other hand, if sports fans in McMinnville want to be upset with Chris Johnon and his 50millionDollars getting 4 yards on eleven totes or ut football with their 4 losing seasons in the last 7 years, that's fine. Those are big programs and they can take the heat. 14 to 17 year olds don't need to hear the moaning and crying over their W-L record. At least as long as they give it 100% effort out there on the field, what's the big deal?

I think you need to read comments in context and not try to portray something that is not, in order to feel pious.

A school is bigger than their athlectic programs just as they are their lunch programs, however, we are not on an academics nor lunch forum.

Warren County has found themselves to be a very mediocre football program, at best, for the past 20 years. It is reasonable to wonder what factors contribute to that performance.

Is it available athletes? WCHS is one of the largest HS in the state and has not seen talent depletion from new HS in the county (such as Lincoln Co.).

Is it facilities? Again, it is the sole public HS in the county and does not have other HS competing for athletic dollars.

Is it a lack of football training infrastructure? This could be the case. How are the local middle schools football programs? Does the community have football programs outside the schools?

Is it the coaching? WC has gone through a few coaches in the past 20 years. I am not suggesting that is due to poor quality coaches, however, that inconsistency has to play a part in the long term health of a program.

While a school is bigger than its athletic programs, school pride, which contributes to the high school experience for it's students, is many times ignited and supported through the success of it's athetics. The high school experience is more than As and Bs, while that is an important part, it is about learning for life.

Edited by Hubbard