D-II Preseason Rankings

MemphianAmphibian

So much misinformation in this thread to go along with the speculation that it is almost comical.

Soms,

You quite often post things that you know to be wrong, inflammatory, and / or outlandish just so you can get a reaction... I know this and I am still going to let you win just this one time.

You and most people know full well papabear's stance on this issue. He has championed a vote to change the eligibility rules regarding transfer students and boarding schools towards the TSSAA the last two years. Each of the previous two years it has been voted down by the coaches. In no way, shape, or form would he be supportive of the TSSAA ruling for Tate to be eligible, but like the rest of us he will have to deal with whatever the TSSAA decides. That is why most of us are waiting on a decision to be rendered before going wild with commenting. There are enough comments out there full of half-truths to keep everyone guessing and wrong for long enough... better to just let the process play itself out

On a personal note I am never happy to see an opportunity taken away from a kid. It just never makes sense at the individual level. However, when you look at something like this, in my opinion, it is the TSSAA's job to look at what their rulings would mean for the system. This is why the rules are written the way they are.

I know what most people familiar with the situation expect the TSSAA's ruling to be but it is just a wait and see game for when the eligibility request is submitted. I have seen the TSSAA make some head-scratcher decisions that were highly inconsistent in the past, no clue if that will be the case this time.

I don't think that anyone wants to see an "opportunity taken away from a kid". However, something else must be considered here. I have absolutely no knowledge of this particular situation or it's' particulars. What I do have knowledge of is the ever-increasing trend of student athletes and their parents deciding to puff up and take their "franchise" athlete somewhere else as soon as they disagree with a coaches' decision regarding any particular issue. Of course, this isn't a new phenomenon, which is exactly why these rules were put in place in the first place long ago. Like many things in our society which involve selfishness and nepotism, it's just getting worse. Without these TSSAA rules, it would be constant chaos.

I don't think that anyone wants to see an "opportunity taken away from a kid". However, something else must be considered here. I have absolutely no knowledge of this particular situation or it's' particulars. What I do have knowledge of is the ever-increasing trend of student athletes and their parents deciding to puff up and take their "franchise" athlete somewhere else as soon as they disagree with a coaches' decision regarding any particular issue. Of course, this isn't a new phenomenon, which is exactly why these rules were put in place in the first place long ago. Like many things in our society which involve selfishness and nepotism, it's just getting worse. Without these TSSAA rules, it would be constant chaos.

No question, it is crucial that we control the "chaos" created by kids and their parents making decisions about what is best for their future. We all know that their current schools and coaches really know what is best for them. Who do these people think they are disagreeing with a coach's decisions and instead of living with it deciding to go somewhere else that has a philosophy that is more in line with their own. And even worse, it is obvious that we can't have families transferring to other schools because of academic reasons. It is just too chaotic to the athletic program of their current schools. Obviously individuals must be penalized for making these misguided choices for their own future clearly based on "selfishness".

Edited by mtnrasslin

No question, it is crucial that we control the "chaos" created by kids and their parents making decisions about what is best for their future. We all know that their current schools and coaches really know what is best for them. Who do these people think they are disagreeing with a coach's decisions and instead of living with it deciding to go somewhere else that has a philosophy that is more in line with their own. And even worse, it is obvious that we can't have families transferring to other schools because of academic reasons. It is just too chaotic to the athletic program of their current schools. Obviously individuals must be penalized for making these misguided choices for their own future clearly based on "selfishness".

Hey, go wherever you want. Just be prepared to abide by the established rules that our governing body has set. Some folks can be a bit spoiled and want to make their own rules or at least whine and moan about the consequences of their decision. Just like the public-private debate (let me take a wild guess which one you are associated with), your opinion here depends on which side of the fence you're on and your personal experiences.

Hey, go wherever you want. Just be prepared to abide by the established rules that our governing body has set. Some folks can be a bit spoiled and want to make their own rules or at least whine and moan about the consequences of their decision. Just like the public-private debate (let me take a wild guess which one you are associated with), your opinion here depends on which side of the fence you're on and your personal experiences.

No one is making their own rules; they are established by the TSSAA. That doesn't mean they are good rules. Any rule that penalizes a kid for making what they believe to be the right decision for their future is wrong in my mind. In no way do these rules benefit student athletes. These rules are for the benefit of adults; administrations and coaches. If that is what you want then you are happy. Call it whining, moaning, or whatever else you want but rules that penalize teenagers for important decisions that may positively impact the rest of their lives seem wrong to me.

Edited by mtnrasslin

No one is making their own rules; they are established by the TSSAA. That doesn't mean they are good rules. Any rule that penalizes a kid for making what they believe to be the right decision for their future is wrong in my mind. In no way do these rules benefit student athletes. These rules are for the benefit of adults; administrations and coaches. If that is what you want then you are happy. Call it whining, moaning, or whatever else you want but rules that penalize teenagers for important decisions that may positively impact the rest of their lives seem wrong to me.

So you believe that the TSSAA created "these rules" just to penalize teenagers?

Ok,...I'm happy.