ECS vs Webb 2012 Division II-A State Championship Game

Spartan4Life

Webb went 1-5 in Region play in 2008, and 4-2 in 2007 in DIV-AA. So we were 500 in the division Webb lost many heart breakers in the 2008 season, no loss coming by more than a touchdown minus ensworth. 2008 was a down year for webb, the 2009, 2010 teams would have made a very good run in DIV II-AA. Webb could compete with the big boys for sure. The problem is depth, Schools like ensworth and mus have 70 80 players on their teams and they all have very good size. Webb had 40 this year which means they had less than ECS, USJ, ST GEORGES teams. One or two injuries and Webb would have a tough time having a successful season against top notch competition week in and week out along with their already brutal non-region schedule. If Webb can get back to the depth we had in 2009 then it would be more realistic to think about moving up.

That being said Webb had 40 players this year so if you want Webb out the division then ECS, USJ, and ST Georges have to come too. Why not just all the playoff teams as well so its more fair for the teams who didnt make the playoffs?

USJ and St George's dont have anywhere near the number of kids in the school that Webb does. USJ has a heck of a team to barely crack 300 in enrollment.

Most teams in single A make the playoffs anyway so not sure what you meant by your last comment.

USJ and St George's dont have anywhere near the number of kids in the school that Webb does. USJ has a heck of a team to barely crack 300 in enrollment.

Most teams in single A make the playoffs anyway so not sure what you meant by your last comment.

Why does it matter how many kids are in the school when they have more players on the field? That doesn't make any sense to me. Athletes win games not the student body. If Webb had 80 players on the field and ECS or USJ had 40 I would see your point but ultimately Webb has less "athletes" on the team number wise than other top schools in the division. What do the "nerds" not playing have to do with the game being played? We were placed here so that's where we play.

Number matter to a certain extent but the players on the field win the games not the little boys sitting at home instead of playing football. Ensworth fields 80, Webb fields 40. Advantage certainty Ensworth. ECS fields 60, Webb fields 40. Advantage Webb???....makes no sense.

Im not taking anything away from Webbs talent or coaching. Fact is though, if they were using the same class breaks and system as divsion 1, they would be 3A while the majority of the region they play in would be 1A.

I along with every fromer Webb player wishes we could play in 3A. If Webb played up it would be 3A versus 6A so it still wouldn't be fair. Once again im talking about the players on the field who win/lose the games not the kids who are their to simply study.

If you can not see how the number in the student body usually reflects the number on the roster then im not sure i can explain it to you. Sure, there are certain schools like ensworth who student body to roster ratio is different but that is not the norm. They are a nationally ranked team though, an exception to the rule.

Every state in the country divides classes by the size of the student body, not by the number of kids on the roster.

Edited by D2A

I along with every fromer Webb player wishes we could play in 3A. If Webb played up it would be 3A versus 6A so it still wouldn't be fair. Once again im talking about the players on the field who win/lose the games not the kids who are their to simply study.

How would you be playing 6A schools? That makes no sense?

How would you be playing 6A schools? That makes no sense?

You made a comparison that Webb is like a 3A school against 1A schools for a lot of the regular season games. I'm saying if Webb was too move up it would be like Webb (3A) playing against Ensworth, MBA, Mcallie, Baylor, Father Ryan, MUS (6A) by the number of players on their roster.

I understand why teams are divided by school size but Webb is also an exception the past 3 years. With around 500 kids in the school we only have 40 playing football? That's less than 10%!! Its not an exception most of the time in DIV II-AA. All the above mentioned schools have a very large football roster despite not having very large schools. I understand why it is divided by school size but im saying it does not apply in this situation when the bigger school Webb has less athletes playing than much smaller schools.

You made a comparison that Webb is like a 3A school against 1A schools for a lot of the regular season games. I'm saying if Webb was too move up it would be like Webb (3A) playing against Ensworth, MBA, Mcallie, Baylor, Father Ryan, MUS (6A) by the number of players on their roster.

I understand why teams are divided by school size but Webb is also an exception the past 3 years. With around 500 kids in the school we only have 40 playing football? That's less than 10%!! Its not an exception most of the time in DIV II-AA. All the above mentioned schools have a very large football roster despite not having very large schools. I understand why it is divided by school size but im saying it does not apply in this situation when the bigger school Webb has less athletes playing than much smaller schools.

But when Webb has close to 500 kids and a roster between 40-50, how is it fair to the rest of the east middle region where enrollment is in the 120-230 range with rosters of sometimes in the low to mid 20s? And you have had 2 east middle teams drop out in the last 2 years that had rosters in the teens!

Thats why i said there should be 3 classes like the older D2 setup. You would have a bracket for the guys you listed, then one for the middle guys like Webb and ECS and a few others and single A for the schools that are just a fraction of the ones listed above.

Fair enough. I wish either all the privates had to play private or all the schools could play in division 1. If all the privates came to the private league we would have plenty for 3 sub divisions. Catholic, CAK, Grace, would just be a few knoxville private schools that would automatically play in our division. Or to just play 3A would be nice.

Edited by Spartan4Life

Why does it matter how many kids are in the school when they have more players on the field? That doesn't make any sense to me. Athletes win games not the student body. If Webb had 80 players on the field and ECS or USJ had 40 I would see your point but ultimately Webb has less "athletes" on the team number wise than other top schools in the division. What do the "nerds" not playing have to do with the game being played? We were placed here so that's where we play.

Number matter to a certain extent but the players on the field win the games not the little boys sitting at home instead of playing football. Ensworth fields 80, Webb fields 40. Advantage certainty Ensworth. ECS fields 60, Webb fields 40. Advantage Webb???....makes no sense.

Please refrain from providing untrue information about other schools when trying to make your point. Ensworth has nowhere near 80 players on their roster. In fact, when they dress out their 18 freshmen, that gives them 60.

Funny that there's a backlash here over Webb because it looked to me like ECS had the better athletes. In fact, I'd bet most years there are 2-3 West teams with better athletes (and more young men on the sidelines).

Webb's guys know exactly where they're going every play and execute in every phase of the game. They play faster than they are and with great technique. Not to mention the fact that they bring the wood every play.

Congrats to Webb from a USJ fan. Personally, I'm glad they're staying in DII-A and hope to see the other DII-A teams step up their game to Webb's level.