Sullivan South The future

SOUTHREB

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is amazing how a "future of Sullivan South football" thread quickly morphs into E-town vs CAK playoff thread.

Maybe we can re-direct. Will South be better , worse, or about the same next year? Will they be about the same but look better because of the weaker schedule?

I sure hope you get better and have more wins since you are steppin down to a weaker schedule.

I sure hope you get better and have more wins since you are steppin down to a weaker schedule.

Already playin Betsy. Trade Dobyns-Bennett and Science Hill for Johnson County and Unicoi County. I think most would agree that is an easier schedule. You are correct though. It does not guarantee wins and puts pressure on the team to win the games they should win. Edited by crawdad

From the couple games I saw this year, South's better "skill" players (don't like that term really, but you get the point), seemed to be sophomores this season (with the exception of a couple). Good sophomore class. If the freshman class was strong, it could be the beginnings of program comeback. I honestly am not sure about this year's junior class. Maybe someone who is closer to the program can enlighten us (crawdad?) I don't think the current 8th grade class at Col Heights was real strong. Sullivan Middle hasnt contributed a great deal, in like forever. Really, I believe talent levels tend to be cyclical with most programs, so maybe the Rebel program is on the verge of an upswing. Time will tell.

And yes, dropping SHHS and DBHS will make for an easier schedule. Over the long haul I see South and Elizabethton competing year in and out for the top spot in the conference. North took some beatings from South in the '05-09' era, but that was when South was talent rich and before the annexations really started in Col Hghts. Who knows how they will match up in the next couple years, but I can't see the Raiders being the better team long. Dropping to 4A guarantees nothing for the Rebels, but it may be the best thing that ever happened to them. The drop in classification helped Sullivan North a huge amount. Hopefully the realignment makes for good games and makes our local 3A and 4A teams even more competitive in future playoffs.

Edited by Pudding

Playing in this conference is nothing to be happy about. At least South will make things more interesting and add a 3rd team the fight for champ.

North will be way down next year. South will be challenged but good enough in the passing game to finish 2nd in this league next year. Johnson Co. and Unicoi Co. may be making a move depending on how many they have returning.

From the couple games I saw this year, South's better "skill" players (don't like that term really, but you get the point), seemed to be sophomores this season (with the exception of a couple). Good sophomore class. If the freshman class was strong, it could be the beginnings of program comeback. I honestly am not sure about this year's junior class. Maybe someone who is closer to the program can enlighten us (crawdad?) I don't think the current 8th grade class at Col Heights was real strong. Sullivan Middle hasnt contributed a great deal, in like forever. Really, I believe talent levels tend to be cyclical with most programs, so maybe the Rebel program is on the verge of an upswing. Time will tell.

And yes, dropping SHHS and DBHS will make for an easier schedule. Over the long haul I see South and Elizabethton competing year in and out for the top spot in the conference. North took some beatings from South in the '05-09' era, but that was when South was talent rich and before the annexations really started in Col Hghts. Who knows how they will match up in the next couple years, but I can't see the Raiders being the better team long. Dropping to 4A guarantees nothing for the Rebels, but it may be the best thing that ever happened to them. The drop in classification helped Sullivan North a huge amount. Hopefully the realignment makes for good games and makes our local 3A and 4A teams even more competitive in future playoffs.

Most of the contributions from this year's Junior class came on the line and from the linebackers. I like the possible upswing over the next few years. We saw several times this year where the soph. QB made bad decisions (running around and getting sacked instead of getting rid of the ball) but that is just part of the growing process and I'm glad that he had the opportunity to get the experience, he will be just fine. I think we will be well stocked at WR as well but I don't know who will be the main RB.

Most of the contributions from this year's Junior class came on the line and from the linebackers. I like the possible upswing over the next few years. We saw several times this year where the soph. QB made bad decisions (running around and getting sacked instead of getting rid of the ball) but that is just part of the growing process and I'm glad that he had the opportunity to get the experience, he will be just fine. I think we will be well stocked at WR as well but I don't know who will be the main RB.

That should be #28 who saw a lot of action as a sophomore. His style reminded me a lot of Sean Hough from the year before, hard running straight ahead through contact with good balance and the ability to spin and twist out of tackles. Another candidate would be rising freshman #44. He is more of a FB type, a little bigger , I formation lead blocker type of back. And of course scat-back #1 will see plenty of sweep, reverse , counter and trap type runs if they chose to use him in those roles. You never know what's in the package from game to game at South. And I suspect the big QB will run it a lot. Edited by crawdad