Alcoa (H) vs Stone 3-20-2013

CoopJeff

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious.....how was the home plate umpire giving an advantage to the other team?

You wouldn't believe it unless you saw/ heard it firsthand. I know I wouldn't have if someone had told me after. If someone had told me that an umpire flat out told a catcher that he was calling pitches that should have been strikes balls because the catcher wasn't freezing the ball in his glove I would have scoffed. If someone had told me that Stone turned a double play on a dropped infield fly that was not called and then claimed he called time but allowed an Alcoa player to advance and score, I would still be scratching my head. Stone had a 4-0 lead that he was instrumental in blowing. It was one of the craziest things I have ever seen. A few Alcoa parents even apologized. Pathetic.

LOL....I was there and are a fan of neither. The infield fly WAS called yet remains a live ball and players can advance....so the player advancing from third to score was legit. The umpire DID call time out thus the kid that advanced after the time out was put back on second and was not out.

As far as the catcher - umpire conversation....I can not comment on that because I did not hear any conversation but I will say that his strike/ball zone was consistent and Stone lost the game because the starting picture got tired....gave up hits....a couple of walks....and the relievers couldn't get anyone out. It was a 5 run win by Alcoa....right? Not much of a contest after the starter was pulled.

BTW....the plate umpire is a college umpire. Pretty solid in all capicities of his ability to call a fair and balanced game...and he did.

LOL....I was there and are a fan of neither. The infield fly WAS called yet remains a live ball and players can advance....so the player advancing from third to score was legit. The umpire DID call time out thus the kid that advanced after the time out was put back on second and was not out.

As far as the catcher - umpire conversation....I can not comment on that because I did not hear any conversation but I will say that his strike/ball zone was consistent and Stone lost the game because the starting picture got tired....gave up hits....a couple of walks....and the relievers couldn't get anyone out. It was a 5 run win by Alcoa....right? Not much of a contest after the starter was pulled.

BTW....the plate umpire is a college umpire. Pretty solid in all capicities of his ability to call a fair and balanced game...and he did.

Funny that no one in the entire stadium, coaches included, heard him call time. When the ump refuses to call pitches strikes- and he did it to all 4 Stone pitchers, they will get tired or start throwing meatballs to avoid walks. That starting pitcher gives up, on average 2 walks per game. He is not a rock star but he is consistent. The third pitcher who threw for Stone also is a really consistent kid. He couldn't throw a strike with that ump. So yeah.. take away a team's ability to throw strikes and they will get tired and lose momentum. Funny how his zone was much bigger for Alcoa than it was for Stone. And before you categorize me as a blame it on the ump kind of person, I am usually the person calming other people down. Typically they make calls consistent for both teams- good or bad, and I have no problem with that. That is the first time I have ever, in 20+ years of playing/ watching seen an umpire be that big of a factor.

The plate ump may be a college ump but he appeared to be a biased home cooked college ump. Last I heard there was some film. No question on the time out call- unless he whispered it.

Edited by buc1973

Well.....sort of defines you as a whiner. The umpire called the plate....for both teams. Maybe, in Crossville the umpires call batters box to batters box but the umpire in question called the plate for both teams. That is how it is defined in the rule book. If that is a problem then you have a problem.

As for the time out call.....the next batter made an out, end of inning...so if that was a questionable TO call there was zero additional runs that scored. The easy solution was for the shortstop to catch the infield fly that was shortstop depth. He dropped it and the kid on third scored.

Your comments are nothing but a whine. Alcoa clearly defeated Stone and the plate umpire had NOTHING to do with it. Also, the plate umpire has zero association with Alcoa.

Whatever... You say one thing. Several others saw something else.You are correct about the easy solution- the shortstop should have caught the ball. But an ump can't stop play for one team and not the other, and that is exactly how his ruling ended up. He also made inappropriate comments to a couple of Stone batters in the box. He told one of them he wasn't allowed to move up in the box. Last time I checked a batter can stand anywhere in the box as long as he is in the box, unless that is not in " your" rule book Mr. Ump. The umpire did not call the plate for both teams - again he / you told Stone"s catcher ( who , by the way did not have to move his glove to catch several of those pitches- a clear indicator that many were in the strike zone) that those pitches were strikes but he wasn't going to call them unless the catcher froze his glove. Regardless, really ridiculous and it doesn't change the outcome of the game. Pretty sad really. And when Alcoa's parents apologized on behalf of the obvious hosing- well- that speaks volumes.

And that I explained it... well.. you asked :rolleyes:

Edited by buc1973

Yeah...Whatever is your reply. Great one at that. First of all.....no I am not the he/you that you are implying, but I was at the game and a was a close observant. My reply....BS on all your whines.

I seriously doubt the umpire in question, or any umpire would question a batters position.....in the box. What most likely happened was he told him to get in the box. You see....there is a speed up rule that forces the batter to keep one foot in the box between ball and strike pitches. My guess....the batter was out of the box and was put back in it.

So you were directly behind the catcher watching each pitch as the catcher did not move his glove.....LOL. People like you amaze me ....and are whats wrong with sports in general.....particularly on the H/S down to youth level. Here is a memo to you. The catchers, many times, do not have their mitts over the strike zone. Believe that? If they are wanting something outside many times they will have their mitt....and body mostly in the batters box. It is called by many umpires but it is not a strike by definition.

Here is another newsflash....umpires are paid by the game and not the hour. To extend a game for any reason other than the right reason would not be logical. Just a suggestion.....join your local Umpiring organization, take the TSSAA testing, and get your butt out there.

Your whining is comical and your knowledge of what goes on in a game and on the field is brief at best. You are an embarrassment to Stone and certainly not very intelligent baseball fan. I bet you are the Stone Ambassador that was sitting in the lawn chair by the dugout running his mouth most of the game. You know....the one that the umpire in question shut down? Were you?