Ensworth's emergence has killed the D2 board

nosidj

Awesome, you named 15 kids who have attended EHS at some point during its history who have fathers that did not attend MBA. And your point is???? I could name more than that who are at the school now whose parents did attend MBA and/or Harpeth Hall, but I won't because I do not believe that it is appropriate for an adult (which I assume you to be) to name high school kids on a public web site for anything other than accolades. I am not sure exactly what I get from the undertone of your message, but I do not think it is a good thing and I hope it does not reflect the culture these days over on West End. The fact is that a growing number of alums from MBA and HH are sending their kids to Ensworth.

As far as "Frist money", that family has been very generous to Ensworth. I am not sure what your point is regarding that either, but I suggest that you compare Ensworth's donor list with the Forbes list of Tennessee's wealthiest people. You may be surprised at the similarity. You might also want to be sure of your facts before publishing your hypothesis on why a student transferred schools. Frankly, that situation is simply none of your business and is certainly not a topic that is appropriate for discussion on a public message board.

As for the endowment amount, go to Ensworth.com, click on "Admission" and then on "Fast Facts". You may learn some other interesting tidbits about the school there as well.

You're under the wrong impression if you think MBA is concerned with having the wealthiest Nashvillians' kids roaming its halls. The fact that many of the parents of MBA students are wealthy is a function of the tuition, which is expensive. MBA does not, however, target any Forbes list for its students. It wants great students who fit its well-rounded motto regardless of their financial position.  When I look back at my classmates, most of them were upper-middle class families that made big sacrifices to send their kids to MBA.  Admittance is about the quality of the student, not the bank account of the parent. I would point out that having wealthy parents does not equate to being a gifted student.

As for MBA alumni, you first have to consider that a large number of them do not matriculate back to Nashville after college. Of the ones that do come back to Nashville, many of them do want to send their sons to MBA. Some of them don't. Some of the don't have sons or don't have kids at all.  Not all of them can afford it. Not all of their children can get in. The school isn't the right fit for everyone either. I know some MBA alumni who had sons and daughters who sent their kids to EHS for the conveneince of having them at the same school. Some of their kids went to Ensworth for elementary school and really wanted to continue on for high school. There are lots of reasons that a parent might choose one over the other, but I can assure you that MBA doesn't have any problem filling its classes, and a large number of alumni are still very interested in sending their kids their if they are so able.

Edited by Redtwin

I'd say that it's probably a fair point the # of MBA/HH grads sending their kids to EHS is growing.  I'm sure in the beginning there were more MBA/HH grads who pulled their kids from EMS and sent them to MBA/HH.  Now that the school has more history, it's a different choice. 

What I found going through the application process is that Ens Middle School has focused much more on people not from Nashville at all.  A lot of people don't relish two separate application processes, and love the idea of making this decision only once.  And the # may be shrinking or growing (I have no idea) but plenty still leave EMS for MBA/HH, which is a great testament to those two schools.