DII-AA Playoffs: First round

WesVLT

Welcome to the TSSAA's all-inclusive, gate-revenue-maximizing, everybody-gets-a-high-five Division II-AA playoffs! While many of us disagree with the organization's decision to let everybody into the postseason, it will be nice to see each team at least one more time before the sun sets on the 2013 season.

(W4) St. Benedict at (W3) Christian Brothers

Not much needs to be said about this one. The Brothers thrashed St. Benedict 48-7 last week in a game that wasn't that close. This weekend's immediate first-round rematch should put CBHS above .500 and end the Eagles' worst season since 2007. Expect the Purple Wave to rest the starters in the second half in preparation for a trip to Ensworth.

Prediction: Christian Brothers 42, St. Benedict 7

(E7) Pope John Paul at (E4) Baylor

JPII gave up 49 points per game in league play and lost 51-3 to Baylor in September. The Red Raiders are fresh off a low-scoring win over Father Ryan that allowed them to avoid a first-round tilt with archrival McCallie. Running back George Porter should score early and often to set up a second-round showdown with MBA.

Prediction: Baylor 52, Pope John Paul 7

(E6) McCallie at (E5) Father Ryan

Father Ryan closed the season on a sour note, falling 14-10 to Baylor to fall into the fifth spot. McCallie nearly upset MBA before allowing the Big Red to come back for a 38-34 win. While both teams went opposite directions last week, expect the Irish to replicate their win over the Tornado two weeks ago, a 34-18 victory. This week's game may be closer, but McCallie's season will end with an eight-game losing streak.

Prediction: Father Ryan 24, McCallie 17

Edited by WesVLT

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the TSSAA's all-inclusive, gate-revenue-maximizing, everybody-gets-a-high-five Division II-AA playoffs! While many of us disagree with the organization's decision to let everybody into the postseason, it will be nice to see each team at least one more time before the sun sets on the 2013 season.

Not much needs to be said about this one. The Brothers thrashed St. Benedict 48-7 last week in a game that wasn't that close. This weekend's immediate first-round rematch should put CBHS above .500 and end the Eagles' worst season since 2007. Expect the Purple Wave to rest the starters in the second half in preparation for a trip to Ensworth.

JPII gave up 49 points per game in league play and lost 51-3 to Baylor in September. The Red Raiders are fresh off a low-scoring win over Father Ryan that allowed them to avoid a first-round tilt with archrival McCallie. Running back George Porter should score early and often to set up a second-round showdown with MBA.

Father Ryan closed the season on a sour note, falling 14-10 to Baylor to fall into the fifth spot. McCallie nearly upset MBA before allowing the Big Red to come back for a 38-34 win. While both teams went opposite directions last week, expect the Irish to replicate their win over the Tornado two weeks ago, a 34-18 victory. This week's game may be closer, but McCallie's season will end with an eight-game losing streak.

I like the sarcasm. To add to your opening, a little ridiculous that BA as a "lower seed" must travel to memphis to play a team with a 4-6 record.

Speaking of more ridiculous items, I noted ECS received 3 1st place votes. Good grief. The JV teams of some of the top DII AA teams would beat them. 

I guess ECS' "thrashing" of 4-6 Briarcrest by a score of 33-32 was the deciding factor. 

BTW BA will put the "running clock" on Briarcrest just as soon as the rules allow it....

Speaking of more ridiculous items, I noted ECS received 3 1st place votes. Good grief. The JV teams of some of the top DII AA teams would beat them. 

Last year I tried to enlighten the AP voters on the difference between the classifications. They didn't want to hear it. Heck, I still have WVLT's login, and nobody from the station votes in the poll now that I'm gone. Maybe next year I'll submit a weekly vote. :)

WesVLT, I always enjoy reading your predictions and rankings on the teams in Div-II AA.  I would love to see you put together a Div-II A ranking and prediction post.  I don't know if you have the time or want to, but I know there are others that would enjoy reading your thoughts and comments.

WesVLT, I always enjoy reading your predictions and rankings on the teams in Div-II AA.  I would love to see you put together a Div-II A ranking and prediction post.  I don't know if you have the time or want to, but I know there are others that would enjoy reading your thoughts and comments.

Thanks for the kind words! Unfortunately, I don't have the same level of familiarity with DII-A or I'd be all over it. Time also doesn't permit me to do the necessary research. I am following the DII-A playoffs, though, and I have a soft spot in my heart for the Spartans. My sister is a Webb graduate and I enjoyed covering David Meske's teams during my TV days in Knoxville.