JV State

LightsOutWrestler

2014 MTWOA Grand Championship –

Freshman & Junior Varsity Divisions

The 2014 Middle Tennessee Wrestling Officials Association Grand Championship is scheduled for Saturday, January 18, 2014 at McGavock High School, 3150 McGavock Pike, Nashville, TN.

The fee for this year’s tournament is $100.00 per team (or $15 per individual), Freshman and JV teams from the same school are considered two (2) separate entries.

Checks are to be made payable to: The Middle Tennessee Wrestling Officials Association or MTWOA.

Payment is expected no later than the date of competition

The Grand Championship is a single day tournament that is open to all freshman level wrestlers in the Middle Tennessee area that MTWOA services and a JV tournament open to all Tennessee and surrounding State wrestlers. JV level is defined as 10 or fewer Varsity matches or Varsity losses that are twice the number of Varsity wins.

The Freshman Division will utilize the TSSAA Varsity Division weight classes plus a 97 lb class (97, 106, 113, 120, 126, 132, 138, 145, 152, 160, 170, 182, 195, 220 and 285).  Each weight class is plus two pounds for growth allowance. Weight classes may be split to limit the brackets to a maximum of 16 wrestlers per weight class. The freshman division will be a double elimination format. Wrestlers not placed by pre-registration or those that do not make their assigned weight at weigh-in, will be placed in the next available open bracket for that weight class. There will be no re-seeding of brackets the day of the tournament. 

The freshmen division is for 9th Grade wrestlers in the Middle Tennessee area that MTWOA services  only.

ALL ENTRIES ARE DUE BY 9PM WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 15th

NOTE: ENTRIES MUST BE EMAILED USING THE ATTACHED SPREADSHEET

Entries sent in another format will not be accepted,

Email all entries to Jonathan Williams at jonathan@lrwlawfirm.com

Any questions to John Gannon at JGannon@hilliard.com or (931)801-6571

The Junior Varsity Division will utilize the 14 TSSAA Varsity Division weight classes and is open to all Tennessee and surrounding State wrestlers.  All contestants will be placed in pools to maximize (5) the number of matches.

Freshman weigh-ins begin at 7:00am, with competition beginning at 9am.

JV weigh-ins begin at 7:30am, with competition beginning at 9:30am.

The 2 lbs. growth allowance will be in effect for both divisions.

Please address any questions regarding team scheduling to John Gannon (Freshman) (931) 801-6571 and Travis Jenkins (Junior Varsity) (615) 218-8955 or Carlos Calloway (Junior Varsity) (615)522-2024.

All other inquiries can be directed to Jonathan Williams (615) 504-7200

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, and I am hosting it. It is not a real TSSAA state tournament. It is a tournament where anyone with JV guys can enter (even more than one in a weight class). I call it a state tournament because I will let anyone in the state enter in the tournament. Wouldn't it be great if we all got more mat time in?

And just for the record some of these JV guys could place in the State if it weren't for some stud in the lineup ahead of them. For example last year my JV 145 (behind Jacob Freeman) Haydn Jennings beat the #3 145 in the state in a dual match. But he never got to wrestle because of Freeman/Warren/Reynolds kept him JV. But keeping him made the other 3 better.

Josh Peck

Ravenwood High School

Host of the JV State

and maybe next year host of the Freshmen/Sophomore/Junior/Senior State championships :)

Look, you can have a state tournament for seniors all you want, but I'm not going to wrestle in it...... ^_^

I think its a great idea just for those reasons you cited.  Many kids don't get to compete on that level because they are behind guys. 

That would be awesome!!!!

T$$AA D1 AAA State Championship

T$$AA D1 A-AA State Champiosnhip

T$$AA D2 State Championship

MTWOA JV State Championship

MTWOA Freshman State Championship

MTWOA Sophomore State Championship

MTWOA Junior State Championship

MTWOA Senior State Championship

Did we leave anyone out? Maybe a trainers state championship too so we can make sure everyone on the team gets a medal and isn't left out. When we soon get to the point where everyone that participates is a state medalist what then?

Coach Peck,

Great job at doing this tournament for those wrestlers who practice all year and do not get to wrestle in many matches during the year.  This allows those wrestlers who are back ups that do not get to get many matches during the year. 

These wrestlers are the future of their teams.

Thank you for doing this.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I missed this thread. It's a great idea and despite the naysayers a needed tournament for tons of solid reasons... Mat time, positive reinforcement just from competing not getting medals necessarily- how many kids never get to compete because their varsity teams have studs in their weight classes AND their competition doesn't have enough wrestlers to fill in complete Varsity teams much less JV?

Growing the sport takes building and coaching these future varsity wrestlers. Great job good idea and thank you for taking the time to consider "THE OTHER GUYS".

We all know every state champion started out as a state champion day one... Or could it be they were coached developed and kept in the sport by forward thinking coaches that saw a need like this tournament filled and made it happen?