2014 Upcoming Softball Thoughts?

richlandraiderdad

I'd have to disagree.......top to bottom, Baylor has the best hitting team. Book it.

Well we do know Baylor is Division 2, but lets add up homeruns at the end of the year. I am sure both will have a few. Nothing against Baylor but I watched both play last year in Murfreesboro last year and Lexington was the better hitting team against in my opinion a much better pitching!!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we do know Baylor is Division 2, but lets add up homeruns at the end of the year. I am sure both will have a few. Nothing against Baylor but I watched both play last year in Murfreesboro last year and Lexington was the better hitting team against in my opinion a much better pitching!!

That "Division 2" team has 4 D1 signees and at least 2-3 more in their underclassmen.  What does hitting home runs, have to do, with being a good hitting team?  I'll take the "Division 2" team, all day long.

That "Division 2" team has 4 D1 signees and at least 2-3 more in their underclassmen.  What does hitting home runs, have to do, with being a good hitting team?  I'll take the "Division 2" team, all day long.

Now calm down there stl it seems like you commented that Baylor was the best hitting team top to bottom, now your telling me how many D1 signees they have. Well I am sure if Lexington had transfers come in from across town they would have a bunch of D1 signees too. Baylor is by far the best softball team in D2 but a little financial support goes along way for getting the best athletes. I am not one of these people who cry private vs public but I would put some hard earned money on the fact that Lexington could beat 90% of D2 schools in the state this coming year, and to add to your question was does hitting homeruns have to do with a good hitting team? Well I would say it has a whole lot to do with it. If Lexington has 5 or 6 girls who can go yard and there are only 9 batters in the lineup I would venture to say they are going to score a lot of runs. And for your fact that Baylor has a lot of Signees just remember Baylor has a lot of recognition and Lexington is a ole country public school in the middle of nowhere big difference. Not to mention Baylor is in Fury's back yard so there again helps get them there D1 coaches around. Lets just sit back and enjoy these two teams and see who from top to bottom has the better hitting team in the end.

I wouldn't go to far on the Elizabethton wins yet or any wins from any team, for that matter, in scrimmages.  When a team hits and plays all their players, anywhere from 15-20 both varsity and jv,  I'm not sure that is a good indicator of how well the opposing team does. If both teams played only the top 9 or 10 from each team, that would be a different story.   

How has Riverdale and Soddy adjusted to coaching changes? Following coaches with a lot of success and in Soddy's case - legendary success - its tough.. Beech seems to have lost the "fun" of playing  - look afraid to make mistakes IMHO... not sure about coaching? anyone know more on that?... Smyrna should get back as confidence and pitching can carry you a long way...  Dickson has had 3 good classes in a row and should be as good as anyone... East TN and West TN other than Chatt areas aren't usually a huge factor - it comes down to execution in crunch time - time will tell

Edited by 3-6-3

Now calm down there stl it seems like you commented that Baylor was the best hitting team top to bottom, now your telling me how many D1 signees they have. Well I am sure if Lexington had transfers come in from across town they would have a bunch of D1 signees too. Baylor is by far the best softball team in D2 but a little financial support goes along way for getting the best athletes. I am not one of these people who cry private vs public but I would put some hard earned money on the fact that Lexington could beat 90% of D2 schools in the state this coming year, and to add to your question was does hitting homeruns have to do with a good hitting team? Well I would say it has a whole lot to do with it. If Lexington has 5 or 6 girls who can go yard and there are only 9 batters in the lineup I would venture to say they are going to score a lot of runs. And for your fact that Baylor has a lot of Signees just remember Baylor has a lot of recognition and Lexington is a ole country public school in the middle of nowhere big difference. Not to mention Baylor is in Fury's back yard so there again helps get them there D1 coaches around. Lets just sit back and enjoy these two teams and see who from top to bottom has the better hitting team in the end.

Hold on a second, I was disagreeing with YOUR "comment".  I'll quote it, "Lexington is the best hitting team from top to bottom in the State".  Does not matter how many "D2" schools Lexington can beat, financial support, country school, etc.  I happen to think Lexington has a very good team (obviously). I was only disagreeing with YOUR statement.  And, I think I proved my point. Best AA team in the state, yes, best hitting "team", I disagree.  And, I can name 25 teams in the state that have 5-6 "girls who can go yard".  That does not automatically make those teams "good hitting teams".  Go check any college conference website and see how they determine the "best" hitting team.  A "good hitting TEAM" is hitting .300+ as a "team".  In other words, do you want a player who goes 3-4 with 2 singles and a double or a player who is 1-4 with 2 K's and a HR.  I think I just made my point, again.  I certainly hope Lexington repeats this year (and they have a very good chance to do so).  Good luck to their team......no hard feelings "softballguru".  Heck, you even invited everyone to "drill you on your predictions".

Hold on a second, I was disagreeing with YOUR "comment".  I'll quote it, "Lexington is the best hitting team from top to bottom in the State".  Does not matter how many "D2" schools Lexington can beat, financial support, country school, etc.  I happen to think Lexington has a very good team (obviously). I was only disagreeing with YOUR statement.  And, I think I proved my point. Best AA team in the state, yes, best hitting "team", I disagree.  And, I can name 25 teams in the state that have 5-6 "girls who can go yard".  That does not automatically make those teams "good hitting teams".  Go check any college conference website and see how they determine the "best" hitting team.  A "good hitting TEAM" is hitting .300+ as a "team".  In other words, do you want a player who goes 3-4 with 2 singles and a double or a player who is 1-4 with 2 K's and a HR.  I think I just made my point, again.  I certainly hope Lexington repeats this year (and they have a very good chance to do so).  Good luck to their team......no hard feelings "softballguru".  Heck, you even invited everyone to "drill you on your predictions".

Edited by tnsoftballguru

Oh no hard feelings this is exactly what post are suppose to be about, it would not be worth writing if I thought my predictions were the gospel. I do agree a good hitting team hits over .300 but in High school ball a State Tourney team usually hits well over .300 and I do believe unless those Lexington Girls did nothing in the offseason and they forget to bring bats to games this season will hit well over .300. Baylor will easily win the D2 Championship I don't see anyone competing with them.  I guess we can only hope these two schools find a tourney they are both in and see who out hits who??

• 2 weeks later...

Not to enter into the debate of Lexington or Baylor but there are a lot of good hitting teams in the state.  I will add Columbia Academy to that list.  I watched them put on a hitting performance at the Sarah Beth Whitehead tourney this weekend.  When they needed singles they got singles and when they got a pitch to drive they drove it, at last count I heard 13 homeruns in 8 games against good teams and not to mention they still had fresh pitching when it came down to the championship game.  Congratulations to them for representing middle Tennessee well in this tournament and good luck to all this season.