Small School Wrestlers That Would be Top 3 in Big School

Coffetalk

You act like it was the kids choice.

No, in fact I am sure it wasn't any kids choice to form a A-AA division.

At least six coaches told me at the A-AA region how disappointed several of their kids were not to be competing at the AAA level.

Many of the coaches, ADs and principals that insisted on this division will likely have moved on in a couple of years.

First I understand that splitting the D1 division is overall a decision that will create talk of a lesser division for years to come. It is a unfortunate that it is already characterizing those that have already proven their moxy at the AAA level as sub standard. These boys didn't decide the change. Folks such as Tronado and RefTN suggest that top A/AA wrestlers should change schools to compete at the AAA level to have respect is false. I chose to applaud their decision to stay loyal to their teams. I will say my son and I had this discussion on transferring to a AAA school and because he wanted to compete for another team state championship, was a returning team captain, and loyal to his coach and team it was an easy decision. Not to mention it was the right decision academically as Greeneville provides a top notch education. We discussed how many such as those posting on this forum would put down his and his fellow A/AA competitors success, which is what you posters are truly doing, but he stayed firm to his loyalties and for this I am truly proud of my son. He never waivered and has not looked back on his decision. He didn't make the decision to avoid anyone he made it for his team and community - not a selfish reason one. I saw a boy make a man's decision and for this I am thankful. He chose family (team) over self centered options. So when you rank family above wresting you should really know most wrestlers consider his team family.

Now granted Jon is a senior and it can be said that decision is easier based on timing. Maybe so but look at the Mullin boys. Notre Dame and the Mullin family are a tradition. Should they move for what others think is a lesser path? No I think not. Keep that proud tradition strong.

Remember the wrestlers had this choice made for them. Applaud their loyalty and success. Don't put it down saying only 3 or 4 might place at AAA. Instead challenge the coaches who did vote to get their A/AA programs competitive at the AAA top team level. Attend those big time individual and team tournaments to prove they are improving the sport. Help manage kids clubs and middle school programs that produce too notch wrestlers. Work the offseason tournaments harder than ever and compete at the regional and national level without hesitation. Get kids involved in Freestyle and Greco. Install passion for wrestling and in the end that may be the greatest success a coach can have. This is what Greeneville, Pigeon Forge, Alcoa, and Hixson coaches are doing and have been doing for some time.

That's my opinion and my two cents. I just don't feel I need to go tell my son he had wasted season because his school was forced to wrestle A/AA and that means nothing to guys posting on Coach T. Oh and just because you don't wrestle AAA doesn't mean you can't wrestle in college. Boys don't accept that and wrestle every big offseason tourney you can. That is where you get seen. Not the AAA tournament. And honesty who would place at AAA and why this thread started is irrelevant. It was decided for the wrestlers not by the wrestlers and has no meaning. So many times we focus on the negatives and not positive actions people strive to take.

Webster Booze

Bones dad

Edited by baller95
  • Upvote 1

[quote name="reftn" post="3134011" timestamp=

The school's have an option to compete in the AAA level I think. But those in favor of the split and stay in A-AA are settling for something less.

Set Your Standards HIGH......Then RAISE Them. -- Dan Gable

(lolling....read my avatar)

Football will always decide the division never wrestling. Maybe TSSAA should be asked for that option but just like the option to transfer so they can go to a AAA school out of district without moving it will not happen.

For the 37 years the state championship was undivided, 1961-1997, the traditional state team title was won 19 times by teams that are currently in Dii. It was won 14 times by teams that are currently classified as Di A-AA. That leaves 4 titles won by schools that are currently Di AAA.

Every year since 1961 there has been at least one state champion from A-aa schools including after the Dii split. Most years, there have been multiple state champions from current A-AA schools.

It is what it is, whether we like it or not. I just wish that some of the postings on these boards could gain some humility, lose some arrogance, and not be so needlessly combative with their tone. Perhaps it makes the offenders feel better about themselves and perhaps that's all they have. I suppose I will continue to endure the less intelligent and mean spirited postings of a few so that I can benefit from the insightful and well meaning ones.

• Upvote 1

First I understand that splitting the D1 division is overall a decision that will create talk of a lesser division for years to come. It is a unfortunate that it is already characterizing those that have already proven their moxy at the AAA level as sub standard. These boys didn't decide the change. Folks such as Tronado and RefTN suggest that top A/AA wrestlers should change schools to compete at the AAA level to have respect is false. I chose to applaud their decision to stay loyal to their teams. I will say my son and I had this discussion on transferring to a AAA school and because he wanted to compete for another team state championship, was a returning team captain, and loyal to his coach and team it was an easy decision. Not to mention it was the right decision academically as Greeneville provides a top notch education. We discussed how many such as those posting on this forum would put down his and his fellow A/AA competitors success, which is what you posters are truly doing, but he stayed firm to his loyalties and for this I am truly proud of my son. He never waivered and has not looked back on his decision. He didn't make the decision to avoid anyone he made it for his team and community - not a selfish reason one. I saw a boy make a man's decision and for this I am thankful. He chose family (team) over self centered options. So when you rank family above wresting you should really know most wrestlers consider his team family.

Now granted Jon is a senior and it can be said that decision is easier based on timing. Maybe so but look at the Mullin boys. Notre Dame and the Mullin family are a tradition. Should they move for what others think is a lesser path? No I think not. Keep that proud tradition strong.

Remember the wrestlers had this choice made for them. Applaud their loyalty and success. Don't put it down saying only 3 or 4 might place at AAA. Instead challenge the coaches who did vote to get their A/AA programs competitive at the AAA top team level. Attend those big time individual and team tournaments to prove they are improving the sport. Help manage kids clubs and middle school programs that produce too notch wrestlers. Work the offseason tournaments harder than ever and compete at the regional and national level without hesitation. Get kids involved in Freestyle and Greco. Install passion for wrestling and in the end that may be the greatest success a coach can have. This is what Greeneville, Pigeon Forge, Alcoa, and Hixson coaches are doing and have been doing for some time.

That's my opinion and my two cents. I just don't feel I need to go tell my son he had wasted season because his school was forced to wrestle A/AA and that means nothing to guys posting on Coach T. Oh and just because you don't wrestle AAA doesn't mean you can't wrestle in college. Boys don't accept that and wrestle every big offseason tourney you can. That is where you get seen. Not the AAA tournament. And honesty who would place at AAA and why this thread started is irrelevant. It was decided for the wrestlers not by the wrestlers and has no meaning. So many times we focus on the negatives and not positive actions people strive to take.

Webster Booze

Bones dad

That post is on your own.

I never said, nor implied any of that.

Your son is an A-AA State Champ!  He is at the pinnacle of what he could do.  You wrestle for first and he did successfully!  He made his decisions and will make many many more the rest of his life and I bet he makes good ones!

This thread started out for the purpose of listing wrestlers from A-AA could have placed in AAA, and that is in error.  They could not, it is not possible.  It gives the appearance of wanting some to acquiesce that this is so. 

Rubbish.

I am not calling for some sort of protest with A-AA kids revolting and moving to AAA schools.  I am saying that is going to happen and I think you will lose coaching talent for the same reasons.

It will always be a little brother.  And I don't feel there is anything so wrong about that.  But I don't feel it is good for the sport.

I will tell you this.  Ravenwood could have put their JV in the tournament and it would look totally different.

Now there's an idea.

For the 37 years the state championship was undivided, 1961-1997, the traditional state team title was won 19 times by teams that are currently in Dii. It was won 14 times by teams that are currently classified as Di A-AA. That leaves 4 titles won by schools that are currently Di AAA.

Every year since 1961 there has been at least one state champion from A-aa schools including after the Dii split. Most years, there have been multiple state champions from current A-AA schools.

It is what it is, whether we like it or not. I just wish that some of the postings on these boards could gain some humility, lose some arrogance, and not be so needlessly combative with their tone. Perhaps it makes the offenders feel better about themselves and perhaps that's all they have. I suppose I will continue to endure the less intelligent and mean spirited postings of a few so that I can benefit from the insightful and well meaning ones.

According to your statistics it makes me question why A-AA left with all the success they were having. 

Maybe they wanted to leave AAA for the better competition in A-AA?

Geez that makes all kinds of sense.

I am thankful for the more intelligent ones posting to these boards.

[quote name="reftn" post="3133972" timestamp=

But in order to be considered the BEST,

You have to wrestle the BEST.

You have chosen another path.

I am looking for the first A-AA that elects to move up and wrestle in the AAA division. Surely that is an option.

You know, it might be TSSAA could have to let an A-AA kid transfer to a AAA school by pleading that creating this division they are jeopardizing scholarship opportunities.

Based it on this ref. I must have misunderstood. My apologies. I can see a different meaning.

My point is only this there are reasons for some to stay and also the coaches getting teams to a higher level should be the push we all make with what is now the current set-up is not going to change anytime soon.

Edited by baller95

That post is on your own.

I never said, nor implied any of that.

Your son is an A-AA State Champ! He is at the pinnacle of what he could do. You wrestle for first and he did successfully! He made his decisions and will make many many more the rest of his life and I bet he makes good ones!

This thread started out for the purpose of listing wrestlers from A-AA could have placed in AAA, and that is in error. They could not, it is not possible. It gives the appearance of wanting some to acquiesce that this is so.

Rubbish.

I am not calling for some sort of protest with A-AA kids revolting and moving to AAA schools. I am saying that is going to happen and I think you will lose coaching talent for the same reasons.

It will always be a little brother. And I don't feel there is anything so wrong about that. But I don't feel it is good for the sport.

I will tell you this. Ravenwood could have put their JV in the tournament and it would look totally different.

Now there's an idea.

Him being a state champ or placer had no meaning in my post. Only shared why a kid might stay in the A/AA division. The whole point was lost. It was never about a justification of relevance.

Based it on this ref. I must have misunderstood. My apologies. I can see a different meaning.

My point is only this there are reasons for some to stay and also the coaches getting teams to a higher level should be the push we all make with what is now the current set-up is not going to change anytime soon.

Totally agree.  Wrestle where you can with what you've got.  Just wrestle.

On two fronts, I would hate to see kids leaving a coach that has developed them for the competition of a stronger AAA division.  At the same time, I would be devastated if my kids coach left for a plumb job in the AAA division. 

But I could fault neither.

A coach's juices don't stop flowing after you have finished competing. 

Its funny, they don't for officials either!

I mentioned Boatman to a College coach as I was texting the results from the state tournament. I like the young man, I've talked with his dad several times and complimented him as they were leaving the state tournament when Jon was a freshman. I have already broken down last years results, lets not inflate them. 10 placers, 1 champ these are the results from what are now 1A/AA schools when they competed together last year. Guys, thats a huge drop off in talent. I understand families have ties to certain schools, nothing wrong with any of it.  When the first split was made, we went from crowning a state champ to crowning a division champ. We didn't need more divisions. Do you guys understand what im saying? AAA schools are having a hard time filling rosters. You scream growth I say bs, a lot of the ones doing the screaming about wanting a split had and have excellent programs. What are we going to do for the big schools that need help growing, nothing?, or do they not get an excuse. I'm sorry if I offended, but those are my opinions.

Its this right here, Most of those titles were won by what used to be the big schools in Chattanooga. We now have 200 little private schools, and those once big schools are now not so big. Most of those used to house 1200 kids, or were considered big schools in chattanooga  I'm not going to take the time to go back and research your research but your not telling the full story, just the one that fits your argument.