Jamboree @ Munford, plus Covington, Brighton et al -8/15/14

CHARGERFAN

Per the Covington Leader, Munford will host a Jamboree on 8/15. Teams playing are Brighton, Covington, Munford, Haywood, St. Benedict and First Assembly Christian School. 

The action begins at 6:30 p.m. with Covington taking on FACS. Brighton and St. Benedict follow at approximately 7:30. The final game between Munford and Haywood will start at about 8:30. 

Edited by CHARGERFAN

So, any thoughts? Munford and Brighton have new coaches.

Covington will be rebuilding, but had a freshman team that only lost to 6A Whitehaven in the W. TN freshman championship game last year, plus adding an 8th grade squad that won their size division in W. TN last year. Reinforcements are on the way, but youth is the predominant theme here.

• 2 weeks later...

I only saw Covington play. The wife and daughter wanted to go after that. 

Covington is extremely young. They only have 6 seniors. There were lots of mistakes by the Chargers. Numerous penalties, fumbles, etc. But, I remember lots of mistakes in last year's Jamboree and the season worked out pretty well.

Abandoning the wing-T for the spread will be a big change for Covington this year. I don't think that we can repeat our 8-2 season record from last year. I doubt that we can win the District again, but then Marty Wheeler is a pretty solid coach. He may get these young guys turned in the right direction after a couple of games. 

Given the players that are coming into the program as freshmen and sophomores, I like the future. This year will have to take care of itself.