Week 7: CAK at Belfry(KY)

BigDave1967

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok Dave, here we go again. Let's do this!

2003 CAKe Warriors 8-5 1A semifinals

Head Coach: Bill Young

W 47-21 Temple Academy

L 14-21 at Greenback

L 27-35 at Davidson Academy

L 24-34 Midway

W 17-16 at Asheville, NC

W 41-3 at Oakdale

W 31-6 at Sunbright

W 28-27 Coalfield

L 19-20 Oneida

Playoffs

W 31-30 at Cloudland

W 17-16 at Midway

W 14-12 at Greenback

L 6-37 Boyd Buchanan

The Warriors did not reach the semifinals again until 2011 and 2012, when they won their state titles.

Ok Dave, here we go again. Let's do this!

2003 CAKe Warriors 8-5 1A semifinals

Head Coach: Bill Young

W 47-21 Temple Academy

L 14-21 at Greenback

L 27-35 at Davidson Academy

L 24-34 Midway

W 17-16 at Asheville, NC

W 41-3 at Oakdale

W 31-6 at Sunbright

W 28-27 Coalfield

L 19-20 Oneida

Playoffs

W 31-30 at Cloudland

W 17-16 at Midway

W 14-12 at Greenback

L 6-37 Boyd Buchanan

The Warriors did not reach the semifinals again until 2011 and 2012, when they won their state titles.

So who wins the game?

We've done that twice, at Bell County 42-14 in 2009 and 64-0 at Middlesboro in 2010. LOL

This is off topic, but pretty impressive. In 2009 Bell lost in the semi finals to eventual state champ Boyle Co. 13-10.  In 2010 Bell lost in the same round to the same team, this time 25-21. Again in 2010 Boyle was eventual state champ. This is in 4A (out of 6 classes).  You know what's even more impressive? Driving all the way to Belfry for a game. To you folks from CAK, I will try to get in touch with my buddy from KY and see what he thinks is the best way to get there. You think Scott Co. is the middle of nowhere, just wait.

Between the trip and the opponent, CAK will have their hands full with this game. But I believe Belfry will see a different caliber of opponent than they did last year. I'll hope that's enough for the Warriors to prevail.

Looking forward to seeing how this one plays out!

Both teams are going to be seeing a different level of opponent I believe. 

Last year Belfry came down to Knoxville with a MASH unit with what I recall was 4-5 starters out on both sides of the football due to injury or suspension.  That was also the terrific young QB of your's first ever start so obviously he had to deal with some butterflies.

CAK was an awesome host and everyone I spoke to raved about the class which they were treated and the way CAK ran their program! Hopefully the return trip proves to be a similar situation for the Warrior faithful.

First a few clarifications then I will discuss what you can expect from Belfry.

1) Belfry is not the 3 time defending State Champions. They won the title last year 3-0 over Wayne Co, but that was their 3rd Total Title (2003 and 2004 the other). Belfry has reached the  Title game each of the past 4 years and 7 times since 2003. They were narrowly defeated in 2011 and 2012.

2) The best way to make the drive will probably be to take I-81 to Kingsport. Turn onto I-26 until it becomes US-23 there around Weber City, VA. Stay on US 23 all the way to Pikeville, KY then turn right onto US 119. US 119 will lead you straight to the HS. You will pass thru the community of Belfry (not even a true stoplight) and by the old High School (now Belfry Middle School). It will be about 3 miles North on the right and you won't be able to miss it. If you come to a sign saying "Welcome to West Virginia" you are blind... :D... but go ahead and turn around and go back about 2.5 miles and look again. It should be all 4 Lane Roads the entire trip and pretty nice speed limits. Shouldn't be too horrible of a drive. I will make a separate post with some info to help you all out.

3) I remember Alcoa crushing Bell. If there is any correlation to search for Bell is now 3A and has been the past 3 or 4 years. Since moving down to 3A they have yet to advance out of the Regional Final Round while Belfry has reached the Finals each year and won a Title. Bellw as way down last year, but in 2011 and 2012 thy had their season end to the same team Belfry lost to, Louisville Central. In both years Belfry played Central much tougher and truth be told should have probably beat them. Last year Central beat Bell as well but Wayne County was the best team in that Region. They defeated Bell 41-6, Belfry defeated Wayne County 3-0.

With that said, Alcoa would have crushed Belfry both of those seasons (2009 and 2010) as well by just as bad of scores. Tremendous respect for that program and frankly wouldn't mind seeing Alcoa and Belfry do a Home and Home the next two years.

Some general info for those travelling:

- If you need to eat on the way I suggest either stopping in the Kingsport area or in Pikeville for the best choices. Norton, VA has a few options as well but the majority of the trip will be very rural. Between Belfry HS and the WV border there are some options for fast food, but if you want something to stick with you Pikeville will be your best bet .

- If anyone plans on spending the night once again Pikeville is the best way to go. There is a Hampton Inn and a Holiday Inn Express as well as a few more motels/hotels.

- Belfry fans always tailgate and if you are personable enough to walk up I am sure they will let you join in and treat you like family. If you want to tailgate yourself there is a Food City a jog away from the stadium... there is also a Wal-Mart about a Half a Mile down the road to get supplies.

- If for some reason someone wants to make a full on trip out of it the Belfry area is best known as being the site of the Hatfield & McCoy feud.

http://www.tourpikecounty.com/hatfields_and_mccoys/

If you are willing to take a bit of a detour the Breaks Interstate Park on the border of Kentucky and Virginia is really pretty.

http://www.breakspark.com/

- Belfry has a really nice facility with ample visitor seating. Parking isn't bad  if you arrive early you should be able to park at the school. For late arriving crowds usually people line the highway with their cars.The bleachers are metal so if it is cold plan accordingly with blankets or seats to stay warm. The field is turf and CAK will have their own locker room, not some gym or bootleg place to change. 

Some general info for those travelling:

- If you need to eat on the way I suggest either stopping in the Kingsport area or in Pikeville for the best choices. Norton, VA has a few options as well but the majority of the trip will be very rural. Between Belfry HS and the WV border there are some options for fast food, but if you want something to stick with you Pikeville will be your best bet .

- If anyone plans on spending the night once again Pikeville is the best way to go. There is a Hampton Inn and a Holiday Inn Express as well as a few more motels/hotels.

- Belfry fans always tailgate and if you are personable enough to walk up I am sure they will let you join in and treat you like family. If you want to tailgate yourself there is a Food City a jog away from the stadium... there is also a Wal-Mart about a Half a Mile down the road to get supplies.

- If for some reason someone wants to make a full on trip out of it the Belfry area is best known as being the site of the Hatfield & McCoy feud.

http://www.tourpikecounty.com/hatfields_and_mccoys/

If you are willing to take a bit of a detour the Breaks Interstate Park on the border of Kentucky and Virginia is really pretty.

http://www.breakspark.com/

- Belfry has a really nice facility with ample visitor seating. Parking isn't bad if you arrive early you should be able to park at the school. For late arriving crowds usually people line the highway with their cars.The bleachers are metal so if it is cold plan accordingly with blankets or seats to stay warm. The field is turf and CAK will have their own locker room, not some gym or bootleg place to change.

If you're traveling through the Tri-Cities, you GOTTA have yourself a pregame burger from Pal's.

Best. Ever.