Week 7: CAK at Belfry(KY)

BigDave1967

As for what to expect with Belfry's team...

Belfry has been up and down this year and are an extremely young team loaded with Sophomores and Freshmen. This is one of the most talented rosters Belfry has had, but a mixture of youth, running back depth, and lack of Senior Leadership have made them hot and cold.

Belfry returned a lot of experience on defense and last year had 6 Freshman play key minutes in the Title Game. On offense Belfry lost their QB and both starting HB's to graduation, but returned their best runner in the FB Hatfield (did not play at CAK) and their playmaking SE Taylor.

Belfry opened the season by whipping 6A Lexington Henry Clay which caught everyone's eye. Henry Clay returned 22 Seniors off a team that could have won the 6A Title. Henry Clay is loaded with speed, athletes, and has a handful of guys that will be getting serious recruiting time. Henry Clay had less than 250 total yards and no offensive points. Since then they have averaged over 50 points per game and nearly 500 yards playing all 6A Schools.

Belfry played up defeating 5A Harlan County (score was not an indicator of the game) and 5A Southwestern. Southwestern will probably be a Top 6 or 7 team in the new 5A rankings after defeating Damien Harris and Madison Southern. Belfry though did not look nearly as sharp in those games execution wise and they overlooked 1A rival Pikeville and had one of the most surprising upsets in the State as a result. Pikeville had not defeated Belfry since 2001 and caught Belfry flat and held their ground fr the win. The last two weeks Belfry has been dominant against weaker competition. Outside of the Pikeville game Belfry has allowed only one offensive TD against their Starting Defense.. a long TD run to Southwestern. Pikeville though carved them up that night with the run and pass.

The story for Belfry right now is their offensive backfield. Belfry lost their #2 HB in the first game with a collarbone and their #3 player left the team to transfer schools due to family issues before the Pikeville game. Belfry has since went with the talented Soph QB and moved Taylor to HB. The offense has looked good since the move, but both teams were not very strong. CAK should give us an idea if that move is going to work.

Belfry's strength this year is their massive, experienced O-line. They average around 6'1 290 across the line and have a ton of starting experience. The only knock on the Line is they have committed some very costly penalties that have negated some very costly TD's and big plays. Some were from being too aggressive and finishing blocks behind the play. The FB Hatfield I mentioned is a treat to watch. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2244865/highlights  Kid is a true FB player and is good for a "wow" moment each game where he breaks 5 or 6 tackles.

Defensively Belfry is really quick. They have two excellent Sophomore DT's in Bentley and Horton. Horton is a manchild and will be getting some major D-1 looks as he gets older. A special talent.The secondary worries me this week. They aren't bad... but Belfry is traditionally very conservative in pass coverage against spread teams and if a team is patient they can sustain very good success. Pikeville hurt Belfry 4 yards at a time.

Belfry's Kicker and Punter are solid...but Belfry's Punt Return game has been an abortion. I honestly think they have more muffs and misfielded punts they let roll for 15 extra yards then they do clean catches.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for what to expect with Belfry's team...

Belfry has been up and down this year and are an extremely young team loaded with Sophomores and Freshmen. This is one of the most talented rosters Belfry has had, but a mixture of youth, running back depth, and lack of Senior Leadership have made them hot and cold.

Belfry returned a lot of experience on defense and last year had 6 Freshman play key minutes in the Title Game. On offense Belfry lost their QB and both starting HB's to graduation, but returned their best runner in the FB Hatfield (did not play at CAK) and their playmaking SE Taylor.

Belfry opened the season by whipping 6A Lexington Henry Clay which caught everyone's eye. Henry Clay returned 22 Seniors off a team that could have won the 6A Title. Henry Clay is loaded with speed, athletes, and has a handful of guys that will be getting serious recruiting time. Henry Clay had less than 250 total yards and no offensive points. Since then they have averaged over 50 points per game and nearly 500 yards playing all 6A Schools.

Belfry played up defeating 5A Harlan County (score was not an indicator of the game) and 5A Southwestern. Southwestern will probably be a Top 6 or 7 team in the new 5A rankings after defeating Damien Harris and Madison Southern. Belfry though did not look nearly as sharp in those games execution wise and they overlooked 1A rival Pikeville and had one of the most surprising upsets in the State as a result. Pikeville had not defeated Belfry since 2001 and caught Belfry flat and held their ground fr the win. The last two weeks Belfry has been dominant against weaker competition. Outside of the Pikeville game Belfry has allowed only one offensive TD against their Starting Defense.. a long TD run to Southwestern. Pikeville though carved them up that night with the run and pass.

The story for Belfry right now is their offensive backfield. Belfry lost their #2 HB in the first game with a collarbone and their #3 player left the team to transfer schools due to family issues before the Pikeville game. Belfry has since went with the talented Soph QB and moved Taylor to HB. The offense has looked good since the move, but both teams were not very strong. CAK should give us an idea if that move is going to work.

Belfry's strength this year is their massive, experienced O-line. They average around 6'1 290 across the line and have a ton of starting experience. The only knock on the Line is they have committed some very costly penalties that have negated some very costly TD's and big plays. Some were from being too aggressive and finishing blocks behind the play. The FB Hatfield I mentioned is a treat to watch. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2244865/highlights  Kid is a true FB player and is good for a "wow" moment each game where he breaks 5 or 6 tackles.

Defensively Belfry is really quick. They have two excellent Sophomore DT's in Bentley and Horton. Horton is a manchild and will be getting some major D-1 looks as he gets older. A special talent.The secondary worries me this week. They aren't bad... but Belfry is traditionally very conservative in pass coverage against spread teams and if a team is patient they can sustain very good success. Pikeville hurt Belfry 4 yards at a time.

Belfry's Kicker and Punter are solid...but Belfry's Punt Return game has been an abortion. I honestly think they have more muffs and misfielded punts they let roll for 15 extra yards then they do clean catches.

Is Perry County or Hazard in the same region as Belfry?

Is Perry County or Hazard in the same region as Belfry?

Geographical but not classification

Perry Central is a lower tier 5A Program. 

Hazard is a quality 1A program. Belfry usually scrimmages Hazard every year and does 7 on 7 with them. This year Hazard is a Top 7 1A team. Belfry usually handles Hazard pretty easily in the scrimmage due to their size, but Hazard is very well coached and always has some nice players and run the spread which helps Belfry.

Edited by ATLCat

My friend from KY says to follow the mapquest direction from the computer. Take I-81 north to tri-cities then US 23 north to Pikeville.  If you are in the mood for Italian food, google "Pikeville ky Italian restaurant." I think it starts with a C. My wife and I ate there - very good. From Pikeville you take US 119 toward West Virginia. You are about 20-25 minutes from the school. You can see it from the highway and you won't believe the quality of the facilities for such a remote location. As to going to Breaks Interstate Park - that drive is two lane, slow and curvy. Work is being done on KY 80 from Pikeville to Elkhorn City. Took us 2 hours to get there because of the construction.  The park entrance is in Virginia, so you will have to pay and entrance fee. Wish all who go a safe trip and hope for a successful conclusion to the game. 

^^^

Chirico's is the Italian place you are referring to!

Also forgot to mention for anyone wanting to listen to the radio or catch the pre-game show you can listen on 93.1 FM. Should be able to pick it up right at the Virginia/Kentucky border.

The Belfry radio crew actually does a very good job in my opinion. Not nearly the yelling and screaming homers you find in most places. The color man is a retired coach who was one of the most respected Assistant Coaches in the State of Kentucky and the play by play man does his best to check his bias at the door. You can also listen to it live on www.wdhr.com if for some reason CAK does not do a live stream.

Wishing safe travels to all CAK fans!

^^^

Yes sir

Chirico's Restaurant
235 Main St
Pikeville, KY 41501

Some other good food (non-chain) in Pikeville I would recommend:
Blue Raven (Various Entrees)

Pig In a Poke (BBQ)

Bank 253 (American/Sports Bar)

I actually miss the Mexican Restaurants back there as well..
El Azul Grande
El Poncho