Chattanooga Area Boys' Prep Tennis Super Team

bbb

Boys' Player of the Year

McCallie’s Cody Gubin overcame an early season injury and reached the D-II AA state semis and is the Chattanoogan.com Prep Tennis Super Team Boys’ Player of the Year.

"I am very proud of Cody's effort this season. He showed a lot of perseverance and leadership this season. He started out missing first half of season because of tendinitis in his knee, and he stepped up half way through and had some very good wins for us at #1. Playing #1 in our league is very difficult, and he showed that he is a very strong player."

-- McCallie tennis coach Eric Voges

Boys' Coach of the Year

Phillip Johnson (Baylor) … He led the Red Raiders to a Chattanooga Rotary championship and a D-II AA state runner-up finish.

* Singles (alphabetical order)

Alex Condra (Jr., Hixson) … 18-4; D-I A-AA region champion and state runner-up; first Hixson boy to advance to the state singles final ever; led team to the state Final Four; has 4.0 GPA and No.1 in his class.

Cody Gubin (Sr. McCallie) … 11-7; Boys' Player of the Year; played No.1 singles and advanced to D-II AA state semis … will play at Rollins College in the fall

Charles Jabaley (Sr., Notre Dame) … 15-2; D-I A-AA region champ and state quarterfinalist … he and J.R.Davis won state doubles title in 2014.

Cooper Long (So., Baylor) … 15-5; advanced to D-II AA state quarterfinals

* Doubles (alphabetical order by team)

Baylor - Jack Gray (Sr.)-Chad Woodham (Sr.) … 18-5; D-II AA region champ; state runner-up; led Baylor to state team runner-up

Cleveland - Jake Gibson (Sr.)-Shivang Patel (Sr.) … D-I AAA region champs and state semis.

Hixson – Carl Phillips (Jr.)-Landon Goforth (Jr.) … 16-3; district and region champs … state semis … Phillips played with an injured knee in region and state doubles and he and Goforth won the deciding match against Signal Mountain to send the Wildcats back to the D-I A-AA state Final Four.

McCallie – Carter Eaves (Sr.)-Conner O’Brien (Sr.) … 6-2; D-II AA state semis.

Notre Dame - J.R. Davis (Jr.)-Andrew Lisy (So.) … 9-2; D-I A-AA region champs and state semis; Davis and Charles Jabaley won state doubles in 2014.

contact B.B. Branton at william.branton@comcast.net

Edited by bbb

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements

• Recent Posts

• I don't know what's going on in the town of McMinnville, but I've read this and it's disturbing.  I'm a "player" person, and I want what's best for the player. If a player gets cut off the team because she said the "F word" then good grief. I mean, come on guys. I wish there was a way for the player to transfer to a different program and just play ball. There are a lot of athletes that are stuck because they're in crappy situations regarding their team/coach. This is player just happens to be one them.
    • Won't happen. College coaches will back the coach every time and it cost this young lady her senior season. Looks like the player may be right on this one. School let her  go after one season. This stuff happens more than you think. 
    • “No college is going to offer a scholarship to a player that is kicked off of the team.” For language? I’m not seeing that as a dealbreaker. 
    • Why did the coach get rehired after she was let go as an assistant by the former Warren County coach and the current AD?? Is that accurate?? I am very familiar with situations like this. Suprised lawsuits haven't happend before. If the coach unfairly let the player go, I think she has a shot because it cost her a scholarship. No college is going to offer a scholarship to a player that is kicked off of the team. Not going to happen. There are bad hires like this a bunch and kids are treated unfairly by coaches that can't coach a lick and have super long ropes somehow. Amazing how some of these coaches get hired and keep their job. 
    • I am going to assume you are not a lawyer, and most reasonable lawyers would not say the lawsuit has a zero percent chance in court. I agree with you that a coach has the ability to dismiss anyone from a team. However, Ms. Winfree was never presented with the opportunity to present her witnesses and have them tell the coaches and administrators what they heard. A lawyer could better explain the lawsuit and the grounds to you. Before you start making wild assumptions about the lawsuit, would it be too much to ask that you do a little legal research first? The lawsuit is dealing with due process, loss of property, and defamation.   You can read the lawsuit here: https://bdnewsletter.files.wordpress.com/2024/04/doc-1-complaint-filed-4-18-2024.pdf