Clinton @ CAK

Govolsknox

Cak was wound tight in that first half with Butch Jones looking on. He leaves right before secodn half kick and misses the warrior show. #4 from clinton was a good little player, along with the QB and big number #77 needs to be an opposing force. Wonder How to two players that got hurt for the warriors are doing? I gotta feel for CAK, Alcoa, and maryville teams who cruise out ahead than either risk a player getting hurt, or have a team that can't play a full game in the playoffs. good win for CAK need better Oline and Dline play. Dline neeeds to sack the QB when they get to him!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm sorry, but I disagree. If we want to have a successful program, we need to raise the bar a little higher. I'm not satisfied with just barely making the playoffs. We have too much talent on this team to not be doing better. Apparently, the coaching staff cannot coach these players up!!

First, I want to give credit to Clinton. They are a much better team than some are giving them credit for, and are going to surprise some folks that may overlook them. The QB is very good, with great pocket presence, accurate both in the pocket, and on the run. When the play calls for it, he is elusive, athletic, and has good speed. In addition, #4, #5, and the HUGE DT / NG are players that would be an asset on most any team. They played hard and it was fun to watch 2 teams throw it around a lot.

Now, what I saw in the game. Just one man’s observations:  Clinton came out and used a wide variety of screen plays to deal with a very aggressive CAK front, and were very effective early on using this to drive for their initial score. They did a very good job, along with some less than stellar play by CAK, to hold the Warriors to a 14-7 CAK lead at the half.

The 3rd quarter belonged to CAK as they  scored 21 straight and led 35-7. CAK’s defense was able to adjust to what they had seen from Clinton well enough to hold them scoreless. However, there was a tremendous athletic TD by Clinton on a kick return, which made it 35-14 with the special teams play.

CAK scored once more to get to 42 and the game was in control.  Clinton scored once more to get to 21 late in the 4th with an outstanding athletic play by one of their elusive skill people, #5 I believe. It appeared that the CAK defense had relaxed with the game well in hand and late in the 4th, but who knows, the Clinton player made an outstanding play and may have scored regardless.

The game was never in doubt after half time. Clinton is a 5A school  whose coach commented that they had several key starters that had been absent in recent close losses, but would be back for the CAK game. Clinton played hard, but I don’t feel like CAK played poorly when they doubled up their opponent and won by 3 TD’s.

CAK lost their second key starter for the year before this  game to an ACL. They have lost their #1 RB and  their #1 ILB who was their leading tackler both last year and this year. Unusual to lose 2 key starters to ACL in one year, but it happens. CAK also lost a starting DE and starting RB (who was now  the #1 back since the other back had been lost earlier in the year) during the game. Hopefully both will be back in the next few weeks. A small school like CAK has never had the luxury of depth, and the key for them to have a good chance to be in the top of 3A is not to have key injuries.

Does CAK barely beating Clinton by 21, coupled with key losses of starters and injuries on a small team with very little depth mean that CAK doesn’t have a prayer to be a significant factor in 3A this year? Maybe. Let’s see how this plays out.

Clinton played a clean game, the players and coaches were classy, and it was a pleasure to get to see this match up. Best of luck to the Dragons the rest of the season.

Well I'm sorry, but I disagree. If we want to have a successful program, we need to raise the bar a little higher. I'm not satisfied with just barely making the playoffs. We have too much talent on this team to not be doing better. Apparently, the coaching staff cannot coach these players up!!

Who is DC at Clinton and OL coach?

CAK lost their second key starter for the year before this game to an ACL. They have lost their #1 RB and their #1 ILB who was their leading tackler both last year and this year. Unusual to lose 2 key starters to ACL in one year, but it happens. CAK also lost a starting DE and starting RB (who was now the #1 back since the other back had been lost earlier in the year) during the game. Hopefully both will be back in the next few weeks. A small school like CAK has never had the luxury of depth, and the key for them to have a good chance to be in the top of 3A is not to have key injuries.

Prayers go out to #30 and his family on what can only be assumed is a very trying time for that young man. The unquestioned leader of the team from this spectator's perspective. In my time watching this game, I believe I've learned production can be duplicated but leadership is tough to replace. Don't know how it could get much worse for the Warriors after losing both #45 and now #30.

First, I want to give credit to Clinton. They are a much better team than some are giving them credit for, and are going to surprise some folks that may overlook them. The QB is very good, with great pocket presence, accurate both in the pocket, and on the run. When the play calls for it, he is elusive, athletic, and has good speed. In addition, #4, #5, and the HUGE DT / NG are players that would be an asset on most any team. They played hard and it was fun to watch 2 teams throw it around a lot.

Now, what I saw in the game. Just one man’s observations: Clinton came out and used a wide variety of screen plays to deal with a very aggressive CAK front, and were very effective early on using this to drive for their initial score. They did a very good job, along with some less than stellar play by CAK, to hold the Warriors to a 14-7 CAK lead at the half.

The 3rd quarter belonged to CAK as they scored 21 straight and led 35-7. CAK’s defense was able to adjust to what they had seen from Clinton well enough to hold them scoreless. However, there was a tremendous athletic TD by Clinton on a kick return, which made it 35-14 with the special teams play.

CAK scored once more to get to 42 and the game was in control. Clinton scored once more to get to 21 late in the 4th with an outstanding athletic play by one of their elusive skill people, #5 I believe. It appeared that the CAK defense had relaxed with the game well in hand and late in the 4th, but who knows, the Clinton player made an outstanding play and may have scored regardless.

The game was never in doubt after half time. Clinton is a 5A school whose coach commented that they had several key starters that had been absent in recent close losses, but would be back for the CAK game. Clinton played hard, but I don’t feel like CAK played poorly when they doubled up their opponent and won by 3 TD’s.

CAK lost their second key starter for the year before this game to an ACL. They have lost their #1 RB and their #1 ILB who was their leading tackler both last year and this year. Unusual to lose 2 key starters to ACL in one year, but it happens. CAK also lost a starting DE and starting RB (who was now the #1 back since the other back had been lost earlier in the year) during the game. Hopefully both will be back in the next few weeks. A small school like CAK has never had the luxury of depth, and the key for them to have a good chance to be in the top of 3A is not to have key injuries.

Does CAK barely beating Clinton by 21, coupled with key losses of starters and injuries on a small team with very little depth mean that CAK doesn’t have a prayer to be a significant factor in 3A this year? Maybe. Let’s see how this plays out.

Clinton played a clean game, the players and coaches were classy, and it was a pleasure to get to see this match up. Best of luck to the Dragons the rest of the season.

Not that it matters much, but CAK never led 35-7....it was 28-7 when #5 ran back the kickoff to make it 28-14.

CAK is a good team, but they are going to have their hands full with Alcoa. Good luck the rest of the year!

Coach Myers is the DC, I'm not sure who the OL coach is, but Kerr was an all state lineman at AC....looks like he could coach them?

I would think so. I'm asking because that seems to me to be their biggest weaknesses. The OL plays hard but their technique isn't very good at all. You can't coach athleticism but you can make your kids be technicians. Of course, this is only my opinion