The Upset

Mrfess

"I watched as the arena erupted. The roar of the crowd was deafening. The excitement was truly overwhelming! Once the crowd’s response to Owatonna’s victory subsided, a strange thought entered my mind: this is good for wrestling. Despite the pain of seeing my team fall, I knew, and could acknowledge, that there was something remarkably good about what had just taken place." 

THE UPSET

www.missouriwrestling.com/the-upset/ 

Mush to drawn upon....

Nice response from author...

Michael Fessler

Concordia University, St. Paul

Glad you enjoyed the read!

You're right, when the "upset" happens it can be heartbreaking. I touched on that a little bit in the article in sharing my own experience on the losing end of it. But despite the pain and anguish it delivers to the fallen champion for a time, the occurrence of the upset does great things for the sport, especially for those large group of wrestlers who are training and competing, trying to force their way to the top when there's a "giant" at the top waiting for them whom they have to overcome. The upset is not only exciting to experience (as a competitor) and see (as a spectator, fan, or coach), it reminds us that the giants are human, too. They're giants for a reason; but they're also beatable. And the challengers need to be reminded of this inspiring truth. Their aspirations are not necessarily for naught when there's a giant in the way. They can beat the giant. They can deliver the upset.

Like · Reply · Mark as spam · 1 · Jan 11, 2017 9:00am