Blackman, Rhea County & Hendersonville

Blaze45

Well we have a few days to go and the meat of Spring prcatice to conclude before kicking off the season with two teams I know just a little about. I am a creature of habit and like to study up on each opponent as much as possible, but I am not seeing alot out there on either team for this years talent an dpredictions. That being said I am looking for feedback from some of you all that might have scrimmaged them or had the opportunity to watch them play. How will a team like Blackman fair, what are some of the things Blaze fans should know about these two oponenets?

Well for Rhea. 

First off with Blackman coming to Rhea. I hope you guys have a safe trip over and enjoy one of the biggest and best high school stadiums in East Tennessee. I think after Saturday I should have a better feel for what we got this year, but we did have a pretty good spring against Franklin Co and Oakland 

From what I have heard about the team so far this week the defense has been very good even though we dismissed one of our starting linebackers a couple weeks ago. We will be in a 3-4 defense 

The offense is new this year. It's still Coach Pemberton's wing-t but with more of a spread look to it. We are having to replace a very large chunk of our offense. We graduated 3 1000 yd rushers. One to watch on offense is RB Christian Simon. He had a very good year last year rushing for 978 yds. 

My player to watch to have a break out year is WR Jaden Austin. The kid is very athletic and had a very good spring which I hope continues into the fall. 

We have 3 scrimmages schedule 

Saturday July 29th vs Austin East 

Aug 4th @ Anderson Co. 

Aug 8th @ Farragut with Greeneville

We will be hosting a Jamboree Aug 11th. 

Im sure Kamerb can help fill in more individual players. 

I use to go watch Blackman a few times a year when I lived in the Nashville area and a good friend of mine coached there during the Jauan Jennings years. Im looking forward to coming back to The Inferno next year. I know Blackman is absolutely loaded with talent year in and year out. This year looks to be a special year for Blackman though. 

Edited by Rhea Co.

Thanks for the info. Everything I have heard about Rhea County is positive from coaching, players, fans on down. I think this new offense could pose some problems and would love to see an example in these scrimmages. I wish you guys all the best and hope to see you all soon 

Right now, the quarterback and fullback positions are the only knowns from last season with Zack Pemberton and Christian Simon (a wing in 2016) returning. Senior Ty Goodwin (1st team center from 2016) and Junior Patric Williams (2nd team left guard from 2016) saw a bunch of playing time and should be solid on the line again. Goodwin has moved to right guard for his last year in the green and gold, and has looked solid. Junior Colton Edwards (#78) should be the left tackle and Senior Logan Sullivan (#68)  should be right tackle. Center has yet to be fully decided, with Nick Sherill (#61, sophomore) and University of the South commit Zach Swafford (#62, senior) battling out for the starting spot. Senior Jaden Austin (#4) looks dangerous at wideout, and Senior Gavin Stewart (first year player) is going to be a stud trading out reps with Jaden on first team. Senior running back A.J. Velasco (#27) looks pretty capable, but the starter at the other wing position has yet to be settled on. Some players to look out for at running back are Gavin Morrison (#24 junior), Brandon Leal (#10, junior), and a kid named Shelfer (#16, sophomore) who I don't know his first name. Hayden Woody (#9, senior), the star running back from the spring, has moved due to family situations. Tight end could be an interesting position this year. First year player Caleb Laws (#28 junior) looks the part at 6'6 and around 250, but 240lb, 6'3 veteran Peyton Samples (Bell) (#43, junior) and wild card senior Jared Kamer (#88) have definitely not went away quietly and continue to push each other for reps, even considering Kamer is undersized for a tight end, coming in at 6'0, 175. 

It is no secret in Eagle Nation that 2016 Region 4-5A Defensive Player of the Year Jawan Martin has been dismissed from the team, as well as starting corner Christopher Sturgeon. It is certainly a sticky situation, and I will make no further comment. Woody, as mentioned earlier, is gone, as is Logan Lewis, a wide receiver, and Ross Pendergrass, who probably would have been the 2nd team quarterback, who is focusing on baseball. 

Defense should be strong again. Senior Bradley Evans is back, and he should start on the defensive front along with a combination of multiple seasoned players such as Mason Reynolds (#47 senior), Payton Dugger (#57, junior), Garrett Smith (#52, junior), and a host of others including huge freshman Joey Lemons from Spring City. Chandler Kaylor (#42, junior) is going to be solid at middle linebacker, as well as Chase Suttles (#41, senior), Brandon Hunt (#25, senior), Bradley Goodwin (#40, sophomore), and many more. Corner should be solid with Brady Rice (#19, senior), and Jay Graham (#44, senior) with Jose Marquez (#32, senior) providing depth. Safety will have Reece Cooley (#6, senior) and Aubrey Smith (#13, junior), as well as Cam Thundquist (#5, junior) and others backing them up. This year, Coach Owenby has mentioned changing up the defense a bit, taking away an outside linebacker and turning them into an "eagle" back which is similar to a nickel. Doug White (#30, senior) is my favorite to be the starter there.

S

1 hour ago, kamerb said:

Right now, the quarterback and fullback positions are the only knowns from last season with Zack Pemberton and Christian Simon (a wing in 2016) returning. Senior Ty Goodwin (1st team center from 2016) and Junior Patric Williams (2nd team left guard from 2016) saw a bunch of playing time and should be solid on the line again. Goodwin has moved to right guard for his last year in the green and gold, and has looked solid. Junior Colton Edwards (#78) should be the left tackle and Senior Logan Sullivan (#68)  should be right tackle. Center has yet to be fully decided, with Nick Sherill (#61, sophomore) and University of the South commit Zach Swafford (#62, senior) battling out for the starting spot. Senior Jaden Austin (#4) looks dangerous at wideout, and Senior Gavin Stewart (first year player) is going to be a stud trading out reps with Jaden on first team. Senior running back A.J. Velasco (#27) looks pretty capable, but the starter at the other wing position has yet to be settled on. Some players to look out for at running back are Gavin Morrison (#24 junior), Brandon Leal (#10, junior), and a kid named Shelfer (#16, sophomore) who I don't know his first name. Hayden Woody (#9, senior), the star running back from the spring, has moved due to family situations. Tight end could be an interesting position this year. First year player Caleb Laws (#28 junior) looks the part at 6'6 and around 250, but 240lb, 6'3 veteran Peyton Samples (Bell) (#43, junior) and wild card senior Jared Kamer (#88) have definitely not went away quietly and continue to push each other for reps, even considering Kamer is undersized for a tight end, coming in at 6'0, 175. 

It is no secret in Eagle Nation that 2016 Region 4-5A Defensive Player of the Year Jawan Martin has been dismissed from the team, as well as starting corner Christopher Sturgeon. It is certainly a sticky situation, and I will make no further comment. Woody, as mentioned earlier, is gone, as is Logan Lewis, a wide receiver, and Ross Pendergrass, who probably would have been the 2nd team quarterback, who is focusing on baseball. 

Defense should be strong again. Senior Bradley Evans is back, and he should start on the defensive front along with a combination of multiple seasoned players such as Mason Reynolds (#47 senior), Payton Dugger (#57, junior), Garrett Smith (#52, junior), and a host of others including huge freshman Joey Lemons from Spring City. Chandler Kaylor (#42, junior) is going to be solid at middle linebacker, as well as Chase Suttles (#41, senior), Brandon Hunt (#25, senior), Bradley Goodwin (#40, sophomore), and many more. Corner should be solid with Brady Rice (#19, senior), and Jay Graham (#44, senior) with Jose Marquez (#32, senior) providing depth. Safety will have Reece Cooley (#6, senior) and Aubrey Smith (#13, junior), as well as Cam Thundquist (#5, junior) and others backing them up. This year, Coach Owenby has mentioned changing up the defense a bit, taking away an outside linebacker and turning them into an "eagle" back which is similar to a nickel. Doug White (#30, senior) is my favorite to be the starter there.

Sounds like a solid bunch and we will likely have our hands full....We have a few players that are poised to have good seasons and will hopefully be impact players 

8 minutes ago, Blaze45 said:

S

Sounds like a solid bunch and we will likely have our hands full....We have a few players that are poised to have good seasons and will hopefully be impact players 

I'm excited to watch Otey and Teague when you all make the week 2 trip to Evensville. Also, isn't there a wide receiver from Blackman getting some serious Power 5 attention? I seem to recall his last name being Knox? I've heard nothing but good things about the Blaze, and I look forward to being on the sidelines filming what is sure to be a top-notch game!  

51 minutes ago, kamerb said:

I'm excited to watch Otey and Teague when you all make the week 2 trip to Evensville. Also, isn't there a wide receiver from Blackman getting some serious Power 5 attention? I seem to recall his last name being Knox? I've heard nothing but good things about the Blaze, and I look forward to being on the sidelines filming what is sure to be a top-notch game!  

Hope we can meet up. I have been blessed to get to meet several folks from CoachT at various games. 

Hendersonville is more than likely going to have a down year in line play but they have some nice running backs and a great qb. Anthony hughes will be the main running back. Kid can flat out play, kinda surprised he hasnt been noticed by more schools. Scored 4 touchdowns against walker valley in hendersonville's first scrimmage. Derek kincaid will be running back 2. I really enjoy watching this kid run, has deceptive speed. If you are interested watch their film against walker valley. From what i understand many key players were out for other sports but they still ayed great.

9 minutes ago, CommandoFan81 said:

Hendersonville is more than likely going to have a down year in line play but they have some nice running backs and a great qb. Anthony hughes will be the main running back. Kid can flat out play, kinda surprised he hasnt been noticed by more schools. Scored 4 touchdowns against walker valley in hendersonville's first scrimmage. Derek kincaid will be running back 2. I really enjoy watching this kid run, has deceptive speed. If you are interested watch their film against walker valley. From what i understand many key players were out for other sports but they still ayed great.

Is it on Hudl or where can I find it?

Prob cant find it.  Its just on the team Hudl account.  Not much to see.  Walker Valley D might as well not even have been on the field.  They were really bad.

Actually the offensive line for HHS should be pretty dang solid.  Only one returning starter (Andrew Waters).  He has moved from tackle to center.  All of the other linemen played a good bit last year as backups.  They have come together nicely this spring.

The HHS offense should score plenty of points.  Very good group of running backs.  Highlighted by Anthony Hughes as mentioned above,  Check out his Hudl...its fun to watch.  The Qb (Brett Coker) should have a great year.  He is very athletic and has a great arm.  HHS wont throw a lot but they can be pretty effective when they do.  The top target will be Gabe Dalton.  Very nice receiver with great hands.  Also will throw to the TE Austin Halas.  He is a great TE and DE.

The Defense is where they need to improve the most.  Will be a young Defense with probably only 2 Senior starters.  Several kids will have to play both ways.   Tough task to matchup with Blackman in week 1.  The D will get better as the years goes but will definitely be a work in progress.

The team has had a very good Spring and Summer.  They have really worked hard.  Scrimmage Siegel this afternoon.  Looking forward to seeing how that goes.  Will give some updates later.

1 minute ago, CommandoPride1478 said:

Thanks for the info... if you don't mind let me know how that scrimmage goes. Siegel should have some talent, just not sure how well they will be playing just yet with a new HC and young players to boot  Good luck and I look forward to hearing from you all