Rossview vs Clarksville (Warfield Shield Game)

Budman

First game of the season, Rossview and Clarksville will be slugging it out for the Warfield Shield. Rumor has it, Clarksville has already filled the space allocated for the Trophy with pictures of past teams. Guess they are finally realizing that the shield will never be back in their hands! Always an electric crowd and a good way to kick the season off!  Good Luck Pilgrim!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Pilgrim said:

Only Time will tell.

I predict Clarksville will be hitting on all cylinders, while Rossview is still trying to figure out their new system. Clarksville's lead in this series will be extended to 10 & 5.

Yep. I heard CHS did some "hitting" at the MJ scrimmage. 

I believe CHS will struggle again. The region is a little easier now with Cenntennial, Brentwood, and Rossview gone, but I still think they will finish bottom three. I don't think they will be able to touch RV in season opener. CHS has a few really good athletes, but so does RV, NE, NW, and HC. Difference is coaching. After reading a few of these posts, it seems they have a discipline problem. Last thing a mediocre team needs.   

Discipline in all sports programs in today's world is different.  Kids can't be held accountable for anything.  They miss off-season workouts because they aren't mandatory.  Get mad during spring practice and leave during practice.  Shows up when they feel like it during the summer.

In 1996, before the dead period was instituted, I told all of our football players they had 5 free days during the summer where they could miss with no questions asked, i.e., baseball, vacation, attend football camp, etc.  Once they missed that 6th day they had a mile to run for each of the 6 misses and it had to be completed before we started practice, which was always 1 week prior to full pads.  I had our starting QB/FS, FB/LB, WR/CB, 2 OL, 1 DL go to a 3 day football camp at N. Carolina.  They then called and said they decided to go to Myrtle Beach for 3 days.  They also went to UT's camp.  6 misses, 6 miles.  Only one of them had any type of complaint - QB/FS and after speaking to his Mom about this said she understood but didn't think it was fair.  Sorry, those were the rules and everybody knew them before school was out for the summer.  Guess who the QB/FS was...sometimes sleeping on the couch to prove a point is well worth it! 

If i were still a head coach it would be simple...you miss a workout (s), you have agilities and/or running to make up for the workout you missed.  NOT PUNISHMENT, catching up to the rest of your teammates conditioning.  Mommy & Daddy don't like it, good luck at your new school, wherever that may be, cause you ain't playing for us.

DOES THE DOG WAG THE TAIL  OR  DOES THE TAIL WAG THE DOG?

Edited by sheppy

Rossview has always been disrespected in Clarksville, especially by the local paper ( Leaf Chronicle) and its " Sports Reporter". Looks like the roles have reversed this year, except of course, by the " Laugh Chronicles" perspective. 

I've watched CHS in 7 on 7's and scrimmages as well as the TOC Jamboree. They are much better than they are given credit. True, Rossview is deeper, has more talent and experience, but in games like this, anything could happen. Looking for a great game Friday night, not a blowout like last year. 

On 8/9/2017 at 2:31 PM, DirtroadDaddy said:

I believe CHS will struggle again. The region is a little easier now with Cenntennial, Brentwood, and Rossview gone, but I still think they will finish bottom three. I don't think they will be able to touch RV in season opener. CHS has a few really good athletes, but so does RV, NE, NW, and HC. Difference is coaching. After reading a few of these posts, it seems they have a discipline problem. Last thing a mediocre team needs.   

The CHS coaching staff did a good job running off some decent players a few years ago. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the CA QB was supposed to go to CHS? Along with a few others. 1-9, 2-8, and this year, maybe 3-7? 

Don't think the CA QB was run off.  Think the parents chose a school that is smaller with a high academic environment.  Not saying you couldn't get a high academic environment and education at CHS, they simply chose a different path for their son.  He may be the best pure passer in Clarksville.  Personally, don't think coaches run off players, players don't want to abide by the rules a head coach puts in place, well so be it, take your self and your football to another school and I wish you the best of luck.  Been saying this for 40 years, don't know where that high school/college is that everybody wants to attend.  Hard to believe, but there are some players that don't want to go to Alabama, Michigan State, Clemson.  Why?  Maybe the coaches, maybe the academics, maybe the discipline, maybe the distance from home.  Who knows, maybe that's why Bryce chose CA. 

Can't wait till Friday night, only thing better than coaching football on Friday night, coaching in college on a Saturday afternoon.  Will attend a game Friday if I can find somebody to drive me.

GO CATS, BEAT THE HAWKS!!!

3 minutes ago, sheppy said:

Don't think the CA QB was run off.  Think the parents chose a school that is smaller with a high academic environment.  Not saying you couldn't get a high academic environment and education at CHS, they simply chose a different path for their son.  He may be the best pure passer in Clarksville.  Personally, don't think coaches run off players, players don't want to abide by the rules a head coach puts in place, well so be it, take your self and your football to another school and I wish you the best of luck.  Been saying this for 40 years, don't know where that high school/college is that everybody wants to attend.  Hard to believe, but there are some players that don't want to go to Alabama, Michigan State, Clemson.  Why?  Maybe the coaches, maybe the academics, maybe the discipline, maybe the distance from home.  Who knows, maybe that's why Bryce chose CA. 

Can't wait till Friday night, only thing better than coaching football on Friday night, coaching in college on a Saturday afternoon.  Will attend a game Friday if I can find somebody to drive me.

GO CATS, BEAT THE HAWKS!!!

Just let me know if you need a ride. I plan on going early and getting a seat with Big John.